1 Reply Latest reply on Oct 31, 2009 12:43 PM by Mylenium

controlling an After Effects movie externally? (like flash xml)

rising_suns2

Hello!

After reading about the new xml features in CS4, it got me wondering if it is possible to be able to control elements (such as text) in a rendered After Effects movie from an external file, similar to Flash, i.e., using an XML file to control an SWF. (Note; I know that the project file in CS4 can be manipulated externally in this way, but I am more interested in an actual final output movie that has been render/exported from After Effects. The purpose of course, is so that clients will be able to manipulate elements of an After Effects production, without having to own the After Effects software).

If this is not possible in After Effects alone, then would it be possible to bring the AE project into Flash using the XFL export feature, and then manipulating content from there.

Thank you in advance for any assistance.

• 1. Re: controlling an After Effects movie externally? (like flash xml)
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

After reading about the new xml features in CS4, it got me wondering if it is possible to be able to control elements (such as text) in a rendered After Effects movie from an external file

No. You haven't really thought this through: With what would your client render, assuming he could? Just like Flash Player, AE is a render engine, just not an interactive one and with a different feature set. If you are referring to SWF movies - nada. AE does not create any accessible data structures, because it has no concept of variables. Likewise, XFL export can't do that. I'm sorry to say so, but you are looking in the wrong place. You realyl must learn Flash to do such things or at least buy a template/ hire a coder that can do this.

Mylenium