10 Replies Latest reply on Oct 31, 2009 5:32 PM by JETalmage

joining paths and adding a shortcut key

vegasmagic

I have a two part question.  I am doing a graphic right now that needs a lot of paths to be joined at intersections, then the excess path needs to be trimmed.  I found this tutorial which explains what I'm doing, and I'm using hi method.

http://www.krankykids.com/cheatsheets/illustrator/joining_paths.html

First question, is there an easier way to accomplish this without needing to move the paths around in the layers window?

Second question, can I assign a shortcut key for the delete selection item in the layers window?  When I say delete selection, I mean the little trash can in the layers window.  As is described in the tutorial, he has you delting path sections in the layers window and I just thought it could go faster if I could have a shortcut for the trash can.

• 1. Re: joining paths and adding a shortcut key
          vegasmagic Level 1

After doing this what seems like a million times, it gets really easy.  No need for an easier solution.  And, I realized it's just easier to select the path, click the layer and hit delete.

.....Problem solved.

• 2. Re: joining paths and adding a shortcut key
            JETalmage Level 6

Egads. Way too tedious.

Paths that you are going to join do not have to be on the same layer. They will be on the same Layer after they are joined (because they will be one path). Intersecting Paths you are going to cut do not have to be on the same layer. The selected one is the one that will be cut. It's not even necessary to visit the Layers palette to cut and join those two paths.

(Shortcuts assume Windows)

1. Turn on SmartGuides (Ctrl-U).

2. Tap C (Scissor).

3. Mouse over the intersection. Click. Topmost path is cut.

4. Press and hold Ctrl. (Temporarily invokes last-used pointer.) Click the other path. Bottom path is selected.

5. Release Ctrl. (Scissor returns). Mouse over the intersection. Click. Selected path is cut.

6. Tap A. Drag across the unwanted portions (both of them).

7. Tap Delete twice.

8. Drag a selection marquee around the two endpoints you want to Join.

9. ShiftCtrlAlt-J. Paths are joined. Resulting path is on the topmost layer of the selection.

10. Beware of completely lame "tutorials."

JET

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: joining paths and adding a shortcut key
              vegasmagic Level 1

Your method seems like it should work, but I tried it and it didn't work for me.  I am on a mac, maybe it makes a difference?

Clicking the bottom path doesn't bring it to the top, and the scissor tool won't cut it.  Every time I try it, I have to do it the lame way the guy describes.  I am also using CS3, are you on CS4?

Finally, I alway use cmd+J to join.  Is that the same as the join command you mentioned in windows?  Just wondering if there are 2 different types of joining commands.

• 4. Re: joining paths and adding a shortcut key
                JETalmage Level 6
                Clicking the bottom path doesn't bring it to the top...

It's not supposed to. The point is just to select it.

I am also using CS3, are you on CS4?

CS3. Platform should not matter, but modifier keys, of course, are different.

Finally, I alway use cmd+J to join.

CMD on Mac is CTRL on Windows.

JET

• 5. Re: joining paths and adding a shortcut key
                  vegasmagic Level 1

I did exactly as you said, but I get an error saying

"please use the scissor tool on a segmet on an anchor point (but not an endpoint) of a path"

The only way I can get it to work is by having the paths in the same layer and bringing the bottom path to front first, as the tutorial says.  If they are in separate layers, I have to physically drag the lower path layer above the other in the layer window.

I'll feel stupid if I'm doing it wrong, but I tried it about 4 times both ways, and it only works if done as suggested.

:confused:

• 6. Re: joining paths and adding a shortcut key
                    JETalmage Level 6
                    "please use the scissor tool on a segmet on an anchor point (but not an endpoint) of a path"

That's because you're either missing the path, or the path is already cut where you are clicking. Do you have Snap To Grid turned on? If so, turn it off.

JET

• 7. Re: joining paths and adding a shortcut key
                      vegasmagic Level 1

Ok, I just tried it again and it worked.  Snap to grid is off, the problem was that I was in outline mode.  Why does it matter if I am in outline mode?  Can you enlighten me?  It would have been harder to do what I was doing if I was in preview mode, unless I turned off the fill on my objects.  I guess that would have been the best solution though.  But please explain about the outline mode!!!!!

• 8. Re: joining paths and adding a shortcut key
                        JETalmage Level 6
                        Why does it matter if I am in outline mode?

I don't know. But I can verify that. I would call that a bug.

JET

• 9. Re: joining paths and adding a shortcut key
                          vegasmagic Level 1

Okay, now I'm happy, because for awhile there I thought I was incompetent. Now I know it's not me.  So, it turns out that guy's tutorial wasn't as lame as you thought.  Working in outline mode, that truly is the only way to do it!

Thanks for the help, too bad I did 90% of the work the hard way before we figured this out!

• 10. Re: joining paths and adding a shortcut key
                            JETalmage Level 6
                            So, it turns out that guy's tutorial wasn't as lame as you thought.

No. I still think it's just as lame. All that mucking around in the Layers palette just to cut and join a couple of paths is unnecessary.

I almost never work in Outline mode.

JET