7 Replies Latest reply on Nov 4, 2009 5:29 PM by kishoreda-RrOFau

How to remove multiple copies of plug ins in CS3 AE

kishoreda-RrOFau Level 1

Does anyone know how to remove multiple copies of certain plug ins from Adobe After Effect CS3 ?

I have Adobe Premier Pro CS3 instaled on same hard drive as AE CS3 , when i start my Adobe AE CS3, then when its loading, a warning message comes and says " you have mulitple copies of these plug ins , you must remove the multiple copies, else it might not function properly "

Thanks in Advanced !

• 1. Re: How to remove multiple copies of plug ins in CS3 AE
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Well, you will have to manually search for the *.aex files (PC) or *.plugin (Mac) and then remove the duplicates. They are either in the Plug-Ins folder inside the AE program folder or in the common MediaCore folder. The actualy paths vary slightly from operating system to operating system, so you will have to be more specific. On a sidenote, I recommend you change your user name to not reflect your mail address. It invites spammers and either you get a lot of mail from friends you know you didn't have or, when the forum gets spammed with your spoofed address, you will be blocked.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: How to remove multiple copies of plug ins in CS3 AE
            kishoreda-RrOFau Level 1

Ok, thanks buddy

well, here is the situation

I use Windows XP

AE CS3  as well as premier Cs3

right at this point of time, i am upgrading the motherBD of my PC so i couldn't be more specific..once i installed the new BDs then i can give you more details..

all right, I have installed the trapcode and New Blue effect for both Premier and AE, the dublicate plug in is from New Blue , i guess its called "Essentials"

so, i went inside AE plug ins folder and located the "Essentials" plug in and removed the folder "Essentials" which contains the names of plug ins which i received them at the begining of the program.

but when i restart the AE , i don't get and error or warning signs anymore BUT when i try to look for the Essentials effect, where all the other effects are, i no longer see the plug in there, just like it was never installed to begin with...

when i  goto Program Files>>Adobe>>Commen Files>> plug ins

then  i see the Essentials plug ins there,

so basically i see the Essentials plug ins in 2 different locations.

• 3. Re: How to remove multiple copies of plug ins in CS3 AE
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

I'm not familiar with the effects and their install requirements, since I don't use them, but since they are based on a global architecture to support multiple hosts, anything is possible. Anyway, you should have separate sub-directories for both AE and Premiere. For Premiere, the files should go into C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Pro CS3\Plug-ins\en_US and for AE in C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe After Effects CS3\Support Files\Plug-ins, meaning you will have to physically copy them. Having them in the common folder as you mentioned is probably causing some loop, hence the warnings. In any case, you could certainly find that info on their page somewhere, I'm sure.

Mylenium

• 4. Re: How to remove multiple copies of plug ins in CS3 AE
                kishoreda-RrOFau Level 1

ok buddy thanks again ..

I have to check on that again tomorrow, coz my PC is open now , trying to install the new BDs

as far as i remember, both AE and Premier is within Adobe folder inside Program Files, each one has its own sub directory.

• 5. Re: How to remove multiple copies of plug ins in CS3 AE
                  kishoreda-RrOFau Level 1

ok buddy ...

here we go again...

I have Trapcode , New Blue and possibly one more plug in

this time I reinstalled the AE and Premier and reinstalled the all the plug ins as well , as you said to install the AE plug ins under C:\Program files(x86)Adobe\adobe AE CS3\Support Files\Plug ins    and

for Premier i installed them here >>  C:\Program files(x86)Adobe\adobe\Adobe Premier Cs3\plug ins\en_US

still get the same warning messages

do you have any idea how to check and find duplicates ?

thanks

• 6. Re: How to remove multiple copies of plug ins in CS3 AE
                    Todd_Kopriva Level 8

You really shouldn't manually "install" (drag and drop) third-party plug-ins if those plug-ins come with installers. I'm pretty sure that the Trapcode plug-ins do come with installers that copy the plug-ins to the right locations for you.(If I recall correctly, they copy them to a common location that both After Effects and Premiere Pro read from.)

If you're also dragging and dropping the plug-ins to some other locations, then you're likely to end up with duplicates.

For more information on plug-ins, see the "Plug-ins" page of After Effects Help.

1 person found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: How to remove multiple copies of plug ins in CS3 AE
                      kishoreda-RrOFau Level 1

Thanks Todd

well, be i used the default location (where ever trapcode selected) but he said to Browse and select the locations for each program, he even mentioned the location if you look at his posts above, so i followed his path, so i have to remove them and reintall them  and let the plug ins select thier own path ?

yes i did use the installer before i didn't drag and drop them manually !!

thanks

Ok, so Media Core inside Adobe\common files is the one that shares certain plug ins between Premier and AE !!

Thanks again, this was a good help !!