14 Replies Latest reply on Nov 12, 2009 7:42 AM by Jim_Simon

Garfunkel to Simon

Harm Millaard Level 7

Jim Simon,

I wonder where you get the time to answer all questions here and not have the time to report your PPBM4 results to Bill or are the results too disappointing?

By moving to Windows 7 Pro 64, my score improved by around 10%, that means 3% improvement at 7% lower clock speed. Let us know how you fare. It adds weight to your remarks about configurations, if you can substantiate it with tangible results. Now we are only wondering how good your system is that you are telling about in many posts.

• 1. Re: Garfunkel to Simon
          Jim_Simon Level 8

OK, OK.

I ran the benchmark.  But the script threw up twice with errors.  Probably I entered file location incorrectly, but since I have little personal interest in doing this, I just gave up.

(Here's a hin't, Bill.  Don't ask users to type in a file location.  Have them "Browse" to the folder as we do with every other file operation on Windows.)

• 2. Re: Garfunkel to Simon
            Bill Gehrke Most Valuable Participant

Jim, I will ask my script writing expert if that is within his capabilities.  I really know nothing about script writing, I have successfully modified it but that is all.  But, thanks that is a great idea.

• 3. Re: Garfunkel to Simon
              Jim_Simon Level 8

Here's another one for you.  Have the script take the output from something like a Belarc Advisor app.  When I read about all the hardware data that was going to be asked for, all I could do was grunt and sigh thinking, "This is too much work.  A benchmark program should be a simple button push operation."

• 4. Re: Garfunkel to Simon
                PaulieDC Level 2

You guys know I've been blabbing about Windows 7 all summer, probably to the point of annoyance. But one thing I see consistently is improved performance just from a non-technical "how does it look and feel" standpoint. It is really nice to have a solid OS to rest on now, isn't it? And I find my login time is way faster than Vista, although I never ran Vista on my i7. OK, I supposed a dedicated 300GB Raptor with 220GB free space and nothing but OS and PP CS4 installed doesn helpt there too. I'm still amazed that Photoshop CS4 Extended is up and ready to work from my double-click in 5 seconds flat. All in all, 7 is a great solid improvement, and finally we can stop hearing all the Vista gripes! Now we can just say "Go buy 7 and shaddup!".

• 5. Re: Garfunkel to Simon
                  Harm Millaard Level 7

Paulie,

Just be aware that if you have a different AV package installed, like in my case Symantec Endpoint Protection, and you have not disabled Windows Defender, it will cause serious delays and performance hits. For the rest Win7 looks very good.

• 6. Re: Garfunkel to Simon
                    PaulieDC Level 2

"and you have not disabled Windows Defender"

LOL! You mean there is somebody on the planet that keeps it running??

Actually, I used to disable it, but I don't notice that much of a performance hit on the 7 version, so I have it scheduled to run at 2am. Maybe I'll take it off, I don't surf much on my edit box anyway.

The thing I never use is AV software, THAT is too much of a performance hit. I've never used it in 20 years, and have never gotten a virus, but I'm in no way encouraging anyone else NOT to use it. To me it's like a flu shot, only works on last year's threat. It's fairly safe to go without AV software if you shutdown the three open channels, Web, Email, and internet presence:

1) don't install Microsoft Office on your editing box, put that on a laptop or some other PC, so if Uncle Mervin unknowingly forwards you an email with a Trojan, you aren't caught. Microsoft Office has a wonderful open architecture via COM, but can easily be exploited by people with rotten intentions.

2) Don't visit sites and download junk that's questionable, simple. This probably only applies to those who make the mistake of allowing a teenager even in the same room as your PC, to which you should be beaten with a Nerf Bat for ever allowing that.

3) hop onto your router software and redirect port 113 (the "Identity port") to some other port that's not used, thus sending network web sniffers off into oblivion. Most router firmware such as with Linksys routers now do this automatically without you having to monkey around with the config screen.

Just curious Harm, have you ever gotten a virus or had your AV catch one (meaning really catch one, not a file it thinks is a virus)? Viruses have to have a way in, and as smart as you are (seriously, that's not a crack) I would imagine you could fly without AV also. Most of the IT pros I work with never use it, it just hits the PC too hard for what you get out it. I'm sure there's a few readers who think I'm nuts not using AV, but if your sys drive is static file-wise and you've taken an image of it, restoring is a snap, especially with Windows 7's built in ghosting software. I'm also in the camp of not putting a $20 UV filter on a $1200 lens either... I dunno, call me daring or stupid I guess. Anyway, just rambling, I'd better get back to work.

See Ya!

• 7. Re: Garfunkel to Simon
                      Harm Millaard Level 7

OK, OK.

I ran the benchmark.  But the script threw up twice with errors.  Probably I entered file location incorrectly, but since I have little personal interest in doing this, I just gave up.

I have very much interest to see your results and likely I am not alone. The fact that you have difficulty with the script surprises me. Let me explain how to enter the data.

Go to Explorer and navigate to where you have the file Statistics.vbs. Right click on the adress bar and copy the directory designation. Double click on Statistics.vbs and with the first question waiting for your response, just paste the directory, repeat for the second question.

Simple comme toujours.

This is how it looks here (altough after running the benchmark I deleted the Benchmark files):

5-11-2009 15-34-56.jpg

If you still have difficulties with these basic instructions, I suggest you get some formal edutation. First learn, then do, to quote you.

• 8. Re: Garfunkel to Simon
                        Jim_Simon Level 8
                        Right click on the adress bar and copy the directory designation.

I actually didn't know you could do that.  I just assumed with the new address bar used in Vista and 7, that would no longer work.

Well, that's my one new thing for today.

• 9. Re: Garfunkel to Simon
                          Harm Millaard Level 7

On this educational day for you, there is nothing to hold you back (well maybe 10 minutes of your time) from submitting your data, is there?

Looking forward to your results. Notice I have even given up on the OC request I made some time ago? Just the simple standard benchmark would be great to see.

• 10. Re: Garfunkel to Simon
                            Harm Millaard Level 7

Jim,

It took some time but you managed submitting your results. Congrats and thank you for sharing.

As you can see from the results, the disk intensive tests are the weak link, although I wonder what the installed memory impacts your results as well. Your CPU intensive results are completely in line with others with similar systems.

• 11. Re: Garfunkel to Simon
                              Jim_Simon Level 8

Seems like most of the better disk times are using RAID in some fashion for the project drive.  Mine's not that far off from other single 7200 RPM users.  (Though the results can be difficult to properly compare, with most of the export and preview disk entries missing.  Which is strange because I submitted them.  I wonder how many others have as well.)

• 12. Re: Garfunkel to Simon
                                Harm Millaard Level 7
                                with most of the export and preview disk entries missing.  Which is strange because I submitted them.

That means 'Same as Project Disk'. It does not imply there are no more disks in the system, just that the benchmark was run on the project disk only, with previews and output on that same disk.

• 13. Re: Garfunkel to Simon
                                  Bill Gehrke Most Valuable Participant

I guess I will add a general note about that.

• 14. Re: Garfunkel to Simon
                                    Jim_Simon Level 8

Mine needs a correction, Bill.  You have my Output Disk info under the Preview Disk section.