8 Replies Latest reply on Nov 2, 2009 8:39 PM by Adolfo Rozenfeld

Histogram vs Graph

Lost In My Mind Level 1

Looked everywhere, clicked every where (except the right place, apparently). For many of the filters they have histograms as opposed to graphs (the grid box with the diagonal line ex. levels). Is there a setting so you can work with the graph view as opposed to the histogram view? Thanks.

• 1. Re: Histogram vs Graph
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Histogram is in Levels (any effect with the name levels in it), Graph is in Curves. That's the way it's always been.

• 2. Re: Histogram vs Graph
            Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Rick is right, but why not do some shopping and get the best of both worlds? Frischluft's Fresh Curves beats AE's Curves by miles and has a histogram overlay. Can't ask for more at a price of 50 bucks or so. If you are generally worried about color ranges, investing in Test Gear might also be a good idea, so you have al lthe histograms and scopes in view all the time as nice panels.

Mylenium

• 3. Re: Histogram vs Graph
              Lost In My Mind Level 1

Thank you Rick for the help. Guess I was confused (go figure), and hoping there was a preference setting. Do levels and curves do exactly the same thing, but just through a different interface? And thank you also Mylenium for your help, you always seem to have the best sites for neat stuff . I really liked the first one. Thanks again. Cin

• 4. Re: Histogram vs Graph
                Todd_Kopriva Level 8
                > Do levels and curves do exactly the same thing, but just through a different interface?

from "Curves effect":

"The Curves effect adjusts the tonal range and tone response curve of an image. The Levels effect also adjusts tone response, but the Curves effect gives you more control. With the Levels effect you make the adjustments using only three controls (highlights, shadows, and midtones). With the Curves effect, you can arbitrarily map input values to output values using a curve defined by 256 points."

• 5. Re: Histogram vs Graph
                  Lost In My Mind Level 1

Thanks for the link Todd. Your subtlety wasn't wasted . I guess when I come across stuff like:

you can arbitrarily map input values to output values using a curve defined by 256 points."

I could use a little bit of the human element. I wish I knew someone locally who new this program, or our community college offered it, but no such luck. I have plenty of books and tutorials, but sometimes a real person beats the rest. Thanks again. Cin

• 6. Re: Histogram vs Graph
                    Adolfo Rozenfeld Adobe Employee

Where are you located?

What that paragraph means, is that with Levels you control all color values using a set of 3 sliders for the whole 0-255 range (5 sliders if you count the Output controls). In the Curves effect, you can create a point to control the value for each spot in the 0-255 color range, to raise it or lower it. Note, this means "up to 256", not that you normally use 256. Here's another way of looking at it- if you use the Curves effect, with just 3 points and the segments are all straight (non-curved), then it does exactly the same as Levels. So, the difference is in the ability to add more points and have the "curved" behavior.

1 person found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Histogram vs Graph
                      Lost In My Mind Level 1

Thank you Adolfo, I guess that was the kind of answer I was looking for. That gives me a clearer understanding on those two than I have ever had before. I understand that I'm about the lowest person on this board, but I used to be on my other boards too. With my perseverance, and their patience, that's not the case any longer . Thanks for bearing with me, as I do RTFM . Cin

PS. In answer to your question, I live in an extremely remote area of Nevada, USA. Lots of rabbits, wild horses, and deer...........but not much AE help

• 8. Re: Histogram vs Graph
                        Adolfo Rozenfeld Adobe Employee
                        PS. In answer to your question, I live in an extremely remote area of Nevada, USA. Lots of rabbits, wild horses, and deer...........but not much AE help

But that also means you could make the trip to the NAB show in Vegas next April.

Assuming Adobe has a presence (as usual), you'll get the chance to talk to Adobe team members (including yours truly, for the last five years) and users of all levels of expertise. Both in the show floor and in the gatherings that take place in the evenings. It's not always super useful, but it's always fun.

Oh, they also show new gear and software there

I understand that I'm about the lowest person on this board, but I used to be on my other boards too. With my perseverance, and their patience, that's not the case any longer . Thanks for bearing with me, as I do RTFM . Cin

That's certainly not the case here. Perseverance, but above all, passion and curiosity are the key to these things.  And at the same time, one always needs patience from others. Believe me, I am exposed to giant brains who speak in tongues everyday, without even realizing it

A final word on Levels and Curves: Read everything about them in Mark Christiansen's book (AE CS4 Studio Techniques). I think he explains very clearly why they are so important.