10 Replies Latest reply on Nov 3, 2009 7:05 AM by Bill Gehrke

Is this Hardware Reasonable???

glaustin Level 1

Hi Guys

I had a new PC built two months ago purely for video editing and graphic work, using CS4. Already I need to have some upgrading done because bad advice - believe it or not from Adobe's own technical team - led us to install XP64 in place of our intial intention of Vista (and the upgrade path to Windows 7 - and I'm still waiting for a reply from the top of Adobe about such wrong advice and the unnecessary cost!)

In the meantime, I'd really welcome comments on whether the system specs below look reasonable for editing purposes or if I should replace what you guys see as obvious weaknesses when I upgrade to Windows 7.

OS Name        Microsoft(R) Windows(R) XP Professional x64 Edition

Version            5.2.3790 Service Pack 2 Build 3790

System Manufacturer  Gigabyte Technology

System Model EX58-UD4P

System Type   x64-based PC

Intel i7

Processor         EM64T Family 6 Model 26 Stepping 4 GenuineIntel ~2665 Mhz

BIOS Version/Date    Award Software International, Inc. F8, 11/05/2009

SMBIOS Version       2.4

HDDs             Samsung HD 103UJ x 2

Hardware Abstraction Layer  Version = "5.2.3790.3959 (srv03_sp2_rtm.070216-1710)"

Total Physical Memory           6,142.01 MB

Available Physical Memory    5.06 GB

Total Virtual Memory 7.61 GB

Available Virtual Memory      6.84 GB

Page File Space           2.00 GB

Regards,

Graham

• 1. Re: Is this Hardware Reasonable???
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

That gigabyte motherboard is good... I don't overclock, but gamer sites say it does that well

You have "only" 6gig of memory which is OK, but when I build a Win7 64bit computer I am going to use 12Gig

Read my notes http://www.pacifier.com/~jtsmith/ADOBE.HTM

>HDDs             Samsung HD 103UJ x 2

Two hard drives is the minimum... one for OS and software the other for data

Many people say you should have 3 drives, for OS/software and scratch files and data

For SD editing, a 2 or 3 drive setup is OK, for HD editing you need Raid for greater I/O speed for your data files

Some people use 10k rpm drives, others do just fine with regular 7200 rpm drives... you do NOT want a "green" drive, since to get that green rating they are slower than regular drives

I doubt you will ever receive a reply from Adobe about their Xp64 advice... there are NUMEROUS messages in other forums about the mess that is Adobe support right now, with people not getting a reply at all

• 2. Re: Is this Hardware Reasonable???
            Jim_Simon Level 8

The one thing that stands out to me is using only 2 drives.  Like John said, 3 is a good minimum.  One for OS and Programs, one for Projects and Scratch files, and one just for Media.  You can get away with less, but then performance starts to suffer somewhat.

Regarding those drives, any modern 7200 will be more than fast enough, even for HD editing.  You really only need a RAID if you're working with Uncompressed HD.  For any kind of camera sourced HD, a single modern drive will be plenty fast enough

• 3. Re: Is this Hardware Reasonable???
              John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Jim... good to know about HD from a camcorder

I don't do HD, since I only make DVD's for myself and family, and nobody I know has a BluRay player

If I ever do decide to move to HD, I will check here at that time to find out the best camera in my price range... best (for me) being defined as a combination of high quality video AND ease of edit in Premiere Pro... I will have CS5 (or later?) by that time, but knowing in advance that I won't have to reconfigure my computer with raid will be a good thing, for me

• 4. Re: Is this Hardware Reasonable???
                Harm Millaard Level 7

Like John said, get 12 GB RAM. It doesn't cost much but it will make a significant difference.

Like Jim said, get at least another Samsung drive. It doesn't cost much but it will make a significant difference. Better even, get 2 more.

Get Win7 to start with. Since you need to make a clean install, get the OEM version of Pro. No sense in choosing Ultimate or Home.

• 5. Re: Is this Hardware Reasonable???
                  glaustin Level 1

Many thanks guys.

It's good to know my hardware will do a job and you didn't all fall about laughing. I've had a couple of custom builds over the last few years. It seems very difficult to get through to the builders that home movie quality is a bit different to what I need for business and they seem to scrimp on the important things and go for broke on secondary components!

This latest PC is the nearest so far to what I need and I will incorporate all your comments. On installation of a 3rd HDD I will allocate 1 disc purely to OS, 2nd to archiving finished projects and the 3rd to video/ audio editing and graphic/ website design work. If I have space for a 4th HDD I will use that for graphic/ website design.

Jim, you mentioned RAID configuration. Apols if this is a daft technical question but would I need to configure all HDDs in RAID formation or just those being used for editing/ graphic work?

Regards,

Graham

PS

Regarding the wrong advice regarding XP, John, I contacted the technical guys on a loudspeaker with the engineer present in the discussion as well, so I hope Adobe would appreciate the significance.

G

• 6. Re: Is this Hardware Reasonable???
                    Harm Millaard Level 7

Look here for some basic info on raid setup: http://www.acnc.com/raid.html

Basically a RAID (redundant array of inexpensive/independent disks) is nothing more than making the OS think that you have one disk, while it actually comprises many disks (2, 3, 4 or many more) and spreads the disk activity across all these disks, in effect making it appear much faster than a single disk. While for HDV/AVCHD/DV masterial most current disks are fast enough to handle some (limited) streams of video, because they are able to handle around 70-100 MB/s sustained transfer rate (assuming SATA 7200 with less than 50% fill rate), using a raid will magnify that number. If you use for instance a 12 disk raid30, transfer rates are almost 10 times as high, while maintaining redundancy. Redundancy implies that if one disk fails, you do not lose all your data, but it will be reconstructed in the background, contrary to a single disk or a (r)aid0, that has no redundancy and you lose all data in case of a disk failure.

• 7. Re: Is this Hardware Reasonable???
                      glaustin Level 1

Thanks, Harm, for that very helpful explanation (I'm more design orientated then hardware technical).

• 8. Re: Is this Hardware Reasonable???
                        Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You failed to mention, do you have Premiere CS4 version 4.1?  If so you can run my Premiere Pro Benchmark (PPBM4) and see how well you are doing with it.  As of today there are 17 configurations with benchmark scores to compare your system and its tuning to these other submitted scores.  If I can spot any discrepancies I will email you my suggestions.  You can also use it independently to optimize your configuration.

• 9. Re: Is this Hardware Reasonable???
                          glaustin Level 1

Thanks Bill, that's great. I'm literally just about to leave here for our officesabroad for a few weeks but I will run the test when I get back. Does it work with PAL or is it just NTSC?

Regards,

Graham

• 10. Re: Is this Hardware Reasonable???
                            Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Graham

It is an NTSC project file but does not require you to do anything more than double click on the Project file and it will work fine in PAL-land.

Unfortunately it is not multilingual, we will have to leave that to Harm--