I've heard of this happening.
Trying doing a Save As and save your project under a new name -- ideally in a new folder. Also, go the Edit and select the option to delete the Render files and go to Edit/Preferences/Media Cache and clear the media cache. This will force the program to create all new render and scratch files, so that old ones don't get mixed up with new.
thank you, steve, i will be trying this soon. after i save a copy in another folder, do i go to that new folder and open the project with pe 4 or open pe4 and open the saved project?
I don't know that it matters.
i was able to delete rendering file as the red unrendered line is back over the project. when i went to the media cache, the only option was "clean" so i did that. no results for the project yet. should i go into the hard drive and delete media there? also, with trying to rework with the project, i noticed that i can hit fast forward for the project to play and hit one step forward for the timeline to stop, but once i hit pause or try to select an area, it crashes with the same message, pe has stopped working.
I'm not sure what's up at this point, if doing a Save As and deleting your render files doesn't fix your glitch (and assuming you've got adequate, freshly defragmented room on your drives for the program to work).
You can also try working through Adobe's troubleshooting steps:
Renaming the presets folder can help. (The program will automatically make a new one when you next launch it):
- Documents and Settings/[username]/Application Data/ Adobe/Premiere Elements/8.0/MediaIO/Presets/OTHERS
- Documents and Settings/[username]/Application Data/ Adobe/Premiere Elements/8.0/Settings/Custom
- Users/[Username]/AppData/Roaming/Adobe/Premiere Elements/8.0/SC/Presets
thank you for your help, but nothing worked, i am going to put my old processor with windows xp and premiere elements with my editing monitor and start over. i am not sure if the problem is windows vista or premiere elements 4, but i never had problems with the old PE.