2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 8, 2009 8:14 PM by the_wine_snob

Premiere Elements 8.0 No improvement on rendering speed?

DiagorasofMelos

I thought this version might be faster on the rendering speeds. I'm still getting like a 4 or 5 to 1 ratio, that is, it takes 5 minutes of processing time to every 1 minute of video exported.

How are all you doing as far as speed goes?

Is the regular version of Premiere, rather than elements, faster, that is, is it taking advantage of 64 bit processing and/or GPU processing? I just want speeeeeeeeeeeeed!

Note: Processing: max HD setting on camera, Program setting; tried a couple and makes not much of a difference.

MB: EVGA X58 SLI

CPU: Intel Core i7 920

Ram: DDR3 6GB

HDD: WD VelociRaptor 300GB

GPU: EVGA 9800GT

Camcorder: Sony HDR-SR12

• 2. Re: Premiere Elements 8.0 No improvement on rendering speed?
          the_wine_snob Level 9

First, SLI will not help you with an NLE. The only boost that you can get from the video card is the nVidia CX w/ CUDA for MP4 processing, and then a tiny bit for GPU Transitions/Effects. Matter of fact, SLI seems to hurt PrPro performance, as does a Crossfire config.

PrPro CS4 will take advantage of CUDA, but only for MP4 encoding.

PrPro CS4 is still a 32-bit app. CS5 will be a 64-bit app.

For speed, you will want to upgrade your I/O sub-system, i.e. your internal HDD's. Here's my rec.:

C:\ 10K - 15K smaller (320GB to 500GB) SATA II, OS and programs only

D:\ RAID 0 (smaller HDD's), for Page File only

E:\ RAID 0 (large HDD's), for media only

F:\ RAID 0, for Audio only

G:\ large SATA II for Project

H:\ RAID 0 (large HDD's), for Export files

Now, if you are editing AVCHD, you will also need a fast Quad-core CPU, but dual i7's would be better.

If you need some form of redundancy with the RAID's, you'll want more than RAID 0. They are just for the speed. Also, you will want a hardware RAID controller with plenty of onboard RAM cache.

Good luck,

Hunt