3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 1, 2009 7:33 PM by Adolfo Rozenfeld

Compressing for YouTube

Cris is Bliss Level 1

Hello All,  Does it matter which format and Codec I choose for sending a video to YouTube since most people will be watching it from there, or should I take into consideration people who may want to download.  I recently sent a video to YouTube and some people are experiencing the video stopping during playback, so i need to figure out what I can do to make it play back smoothly and continuously.

Thank You

Cris

• 1. Re: Compressing for YouTube
          Adolfo Rozenfeld Adobe Employee

The format/codec you choose does have an impact on quality, since the better looking your file is, the better the encoded YouTube file will be.

Unfortunately, there isn't much you can do regarding smooth playback, as no matter which format/codec you use, they will re-encode it anyway.

Of course, HD and the HQ setting are tougher. So, you may warn your viewers to disable the HQ mode if they're having playback problems.

• 2. Re: Compressing for YouTube
            Cris is Bliss Level 1

Thank you for the Reply,

Since YouTube is going to re-compress the file, does that mean I should send them the least compressed video that I can up to their maximum file size limitations of 1 Gig, meaning: I should not lower my data rate and/or frame size, key frames settings etc....  Or do I try to send them the smallest best looking video that I can and therefore they will do less compressing of it.

• 3. Re: Compressing for YouTube
              Adolfo Rozenfeld Adobe Employee

Chris:

An H264 file at standard defintion sizes and a bitrate of about 3 Mbps should work very, very well as a source for YouTube.

Yes, you could produce the largest file they let you upload, but it's also true that pristine quality is really not their main concern for encoding, so you could spend your life uploading gigantic files and get modest improvements in quality.

If quality is your main concern, I'd take a look at Vimeo.

Since YouTube is so popular, you may prefer the trade-off. In any case, uploading an H264 file with specs similar to those I described above should work fine. Using 2 pass VBR encoding in AME standalone can help in getting the most out of the bitrate.

1 person found this helpful