15 Replies Latest reply on Nov 28, 2009 7:22 AM by the_wine_snob

Adobe Premiere Elements 8.0 Render Speed

DiagorasofMelos

I thought this version might be faster on the rendering speeds. I'm still getting like 4 or 5 to 1 ration, that is, it takes 5 minutes of processing time to every 1 minute of video exported.

How are all you doing as far as speed goes?

Is the regular version of Premiere, rather than elements, faster, that is, is it taking advantage of 64 bit processing and/or GPU processing? I just want speeeeeeeeeeed!

Note: Processing: Max HD setting on camera, Program setting; tried a couple and makes not much of a difference.

MB: EVGA X58 SLI

CPU: Intel Core i7 920

RAM: DDR3 6GB

HDD: WD VelociRaptor 300GB

GPU: EVGA GeForce 9800GT

Camcorder: Sony HDR-SR12

• 1. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 8.0 Render Speed
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

AVCHD is going to take considerably longer to render than standard DV.

• 2. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 8.0 Render Speed
            ruffhouseutah

This is probably heresy on an Adobe forum, but I'm curious... PowerDirector from Cyberlink, a product that I just decided NOT to purchase (going with PE8 instead), claims to harness the power of 64-bit computing, Core i7 processors, and CUDA GPU acceleration on some NVIDIA models... your rig should allow that software to take advantage of all 3. It also claims to handle AVCHD like no other.

Now I'm certain that PE will, sooner or later, take full advantage of all the same technologies, but the smaller, nimbler Cyberlink is a step ahead on that point (though they're several steps behind in several other areas).   I'd be interested to see if, by downloading and installing PowerDirector, how much different your render speeds would be... if you decide to try it, please let us know!

• 3. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 8.0 Render Speed

It's certainly worth a try, ruffhouse.

Although this forum is offered through Adobe, none of the posters on this forum are employees of Adobe. So, if you find a product that does something better, feel free to recommend it here. The most important thing is that everyone finds the right tool for the job!

• 4. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 8.0 Render Speed
                tech_savvy Level 1

Even, I am suffering because of this. For DV, the rendering speed is quite ok but for HD it is a real pain. The workaround which i use is that i keep the workbar only over the area on which I am working so that background rendering keeps rendering it and even if i have to manually render, rendering a smaller portion of the timelines takes considerably lesser time

• 5. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 8.0 Render Speed
                  DiagorasofMelos Level 1

Well this just gets worse by the moment. I tried a one minute video test and here are the results

Windows XP, APE 7 - 3m 15s

Windows 7 Pro 64bit, APE 7 - 3m 23s

Windows 7 Pro 64bit, APE 8 - 5m 11s

You can see the video of my results here

I'm going to try to run a couple of new tests to see if I can improve it.

• 6. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 8.0 Render Speed
                    Cyn_ M_ M

Hi! been reading this thread and I'm still like the deer

caught in the headlights!  Brand new user to PE 8.0. and searched the forum

for rendering questions as yours. I have HP Pavilion - fully loaded and with 64 bit - etc. To begin at the beginning - how or where do I change settings for rendering speeds?  I was following your u-tube video and realized just how lost I am. I also have AVCHD from camcorder so I've already experienced the slow processing times.  So, what or where do I change settings that might possibly HELP rendering.  I've just used the defaults in the PE 8.

Thanks in advance!!

• 7. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 8.0 Render Speed

How fast your video renders depends on both the speed of your processor and the type of media you're rendering. AVCHD is going to

take much longer to render than, say, 1000x750 photos or DV footage that's had a few effects applied.

But, as the results above indicate, for some reason version 8 does seem to take longer to render the same footage than earlier versions.

• 8. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 8.0 Render Speed
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Rendering speed will be dependent on a couple of factors: one's system, and the formats involved.

As for PrPro CS4.2, using its Adobe Media Encoder is pretty fast, but the program is still 32-bit. CS5 WILL be 64-bit.

If one is Encoding to MPEG, an nVidia CX card will offer full GPU processing. This speeds up the process, but comes with a very high price tag. Note that "MPEG" covers a lot of file formats, and not all will have a pure .MPEG extension.

For your system, you will see improvements if you add two more fast internal HDD's. Three is the basic setup for NLE work. In a perfect system, one would have something like the following:

C:\ smaller, very fast SATA II (no partitions) for OS, and programs only

D:\ larger, fast SATA II for Project files and Scratch Disks

E:\ RAID in the 0-family (no redundency) Video media files only*

F:\ RAID in the 0-family (no redundency) Audio media files only*

G:\ RAID in the 0-family (no redundency) Render/Export files only*

Good luck,

Hunt

* These would be handled by a dedicated hardware controller w/ on-board cache

• 9. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 8.0 Render Speed
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Here is a great ARTICLE on HDD setup.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 10. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 8.0 Render Speed
                            tech_savvy Level 1

Buddy,

When I edit AVCHD in PE, I generally keep background rendering OFF. For doing this you have to go to Edit > Preferences > General and uncheck the box which says 'Enable background rendering'. One more thing to see is whether AutoAnalyzer.exe is running on your system or not. I have noticed that it slows up the system slightly and for AVCHD editing that might be problematic. Just open us task manager when you feel that editing is becoming slower and see if Autoanalyzer.exe process is running. If yes, you can turn it OFF.

PE doesn't have any option like changing the rendering speed so you have to use these workarounds. Hope this helps!!!

• 11. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 8.0 Render Speed
                              brokenlock

Windows XP, APE 7 - 3m 15s

Windows 7 Pro 64bit, APE 7 - 3m 23s

Windows 7 Pro 64bit, APE 8 - 5m 11s

I've only just downloaded the trial version, and haven't compared it to the Pinn 10 program I have yet.

But I see a sizable time increase between ape7 and 8.

I'm going with the theoary 8 is just clumsier then 7. Maybe I should try 7 while it still might be available

• 12. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 8.0 Render Speed
                                brokenlock Level 1

attempting to run pre8

never got to the actual video editor, seems to have jumped on the net, into some demo

very slow demo, possibly even slower than dialup speeds. (net speeds normal after finally closeing pre8)

spent following hours running all my antivirus/spyware/malware software (found nothing)

sys:

p4 2.6 ghz 1 gig ram  on board video(shared ram)

• 13. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 8.0 Render Speed
                                  Ga_Flyboy67

I too am disappointed in the performance of editing and rendering 1920x1080i 30i for Blu-Ray.  Source is from a Canon 5DMarkII.  Just built a new system with the following specs:

Windows 7 - 64 Professional

X58 MB EVGA Classified

12 GB Tri-Channel RAM (1600)

I7-950 Processor

Two - 256GB SSD in Raid 0 Array (total of 500GB) - Clocks out much, much faster than Raptors.

Nvidia Quadro 1800

I built this monster for the purpose of photo and video editing.  Still very new to Premiere Elements 8, but I am finding that rendering speeds at this high resolution, with minimal effects typically run about 4x give or take.   I don't mind the rendering speeds.  Altough when rendering and checking my CPU and RAM utilization, I only see the CPU at 40% and about 7GB of RAM is unused.   What is most frustrating to me is that when I am editing a video and get a number of clips into the time line, the system really starts slowing down and becomes very jerky and non-responsive at times.  This is with less than 10 minutes of total video on the time line.  I certainly need to experiment more with the settings for background rendering, etc.  So the jury is still out.

I don't think it is the system.  This thing boots windows 7 cold in about 30 seconds.  Loading Photoshop CS4 from disk (SSD) is almost immediate.  Loading Premiere Elements 8 from the Splash screen for a new project takes about 12 seconds to get to the "Name your project" box.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

• 14. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 8.0 Render Speed
                                    the_wine_snob Level 9
                                    Two - 256GB SSD in Raid 0 Array (total of 500GB)

Unless I missed a line, it appears that you have a single HDD, just striped in RAID 0. The first thing that you'd want to do is add two more physical HDD's for NLE work. Also, while you get a bit more speed from a RAID 0 system disk, you stand a 50% greater chance of loosing the whole system to a single HDD crash. I would recommend using a good backup scheme.

A better setup would be a single, fast HHD for your system and programs, and probably your Page File. This HDD does not need to be that large, as it will just have the system and programs. Then use a RAID in one of the 0 formats for your media, and maybe another for your Exports, with a single HDD for your Projects and their Scratch Disks.

Also, I assume that you have software, or integral hardware RAID from your MoBo. You will get better performance with a dedicated RAID controller, like the Areca ARC1220.

Regardless of which route you go, I'd strongly suggest that you look into adding 2 more physical HDD's, whether RAID, or not, is up to you. Your performance will improve.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 15. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 8.0 Render Speed
                                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Here is a good ARTICLE on I/O sub-system setup.

With most media, the I/O sub-system carries the majority of the burden, with the CPU in second place, RAM and Page File bringing up the rear. With AVCHD material, the roles of the I/O and the CPU are reversed.

Good luck,

Hunt