4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 1, 2009 5:32 PM by Steve Grisetti

Workflow for Talking Head

rtprtp Level 1

Hi Again,

For the 30sec PSA, I will have a talking head with dissolves to a few photos throughout. If the talent does the 30 sec in one take (which I think they will do) can anyone suggest a workflow for editing and disolving in the photos?

Thanks again, Stan

• 1. Re: Workflow for Talking Head
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Use a J-cut! *(as described in my books)

Just put the talking head video on the Video 1 track.

Place your photos on Video 2, above the talking head video, as needed for cutaways.

You can do lots of interesting things to the photos -- add pans & zooms rather than just use a static image, add transitions between them, etc.

Meantime, don't forget to resize your photos to no larger than 1000x750 pixels for best performance!

• 2. Re: Workflow for Talking Head
            rtprtp Level 1

Steve, yes I am ordering the book tonight! I know I should know what a J cut is, but i don"t. Do you mind splaining? (I know what an L cut is)

Thanks as always.

• 3. Re: Workflow for Talking Head
              kkolbo

What he is describing really isn't a J cut.  A J cut is audio before video the same way an L cut is video before audio.  He is describing a B-roll track.  If you have one track, say track one with an interview or a talking head, you then put the cutaways or photos on a track above the talking head.  The visual on the highest track is what will be visible.  You just arrange the visuals on the top track to match the talking head.  When you want to see the talking head, don't put anything on the top track.

• 4. Re: Workflow for Talking Head
                Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Oops! You're right, Keith. It is an L-cut, not a J-cut.

Sometimes I have trouble keeping track of which is my right and which is my left hand!