27 Replies Latest reply on Nov 30, 2009 11:52 AM by cflnest

Canon 7D Video Help

flovelett

I am primarily a still bird photographer with only a bit of experience using Premiere Pro. I just purchased a Canon 7D and hope to produce short video clips of bird behavior in HD.

I understand from reading this forum that Premiere Pro CS 4.1 does not support direct editing of the 7D .mov format and that the files should be translated to a different codec with Adobe Media Encoder. Could someone please explain to me (a novice Premiere user) which codec to choose?

I have already encountered major problems using PP 4.01/AME to export SD video to an iPod (there are a number of posts on this forum about this problem).

I am seriously wondering if I would achieve better/easier results using another video editor for the 7D video until Adobe more directly supports the 7D .mov format.

Thanks,

Felicia Lovelett

Win XP SP3  E8500 3.16 GHz/ 3 GB/RAM

• 1. Re: Canon 7D Video Help
          peterquixotefilms

I downloaded a *mov file from Canon EOS 7d today, and found the same problem.

Premiere CS3 just won't handle it. I upgraded my Quicktime program to QT 7.6 but no repsonse.

I have come to a similar conclusion that Premiere Pro is not able to import and process Quick time files .

There are lots of references to this difficulty, and strangely the Premiere elements program will import *mov files.

It is possible to convert *mov files to uncompressed files so that importation is possible, but the time and space make it seem impractical.

In many ways Premiere Pro is just not up to what is going on.

I will keep searching for answers and reply here if I find anything to help.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Canon 7D Video Help
            Dag Norum Level 2

Nowadays I am testing the 7D, and I am pretty much pleased with the results, both with stills and video.

The funny thing is that I am using CS3 and have NO problem using the video footage directly from the 7D in Premiere, no conversion needed.

The only other app. (except for Photoshop Extended and QT player) I have that I think could influence Premiere's willingness to import footage is Sorenson Squeeze. When I installed Sorenson Squeeze, it also installed ffdshow (careful, mixed results reported about ffdshow). Usually if I import some "odd" footage into Premiere, a ffdshow icon or two shows up in the taskbar. When I import the 7D footage, I get no ffdshow icon.

Dag

• 3. Re: Canon 7D Video Help
              Dag Norum Level 2
              I have come to a similar conclusion that Premiere Pro is not able to import and process Quick time files .

A pretty harsh statement if you ask me, I'm using QT files pretty often and have no problems with them.

Dag

EDIT: PS! I'm not the first one to update my QT player, now I have the version 7.3.1

• 4. Re: Canon 7D Video Help
                Dag Norum Level 2

Maybe somebody is a bit curious, so here is a rather "ironic" test. Shot in Tungsten light (500W halogen bulb) with a 50mm f 1:1.4 lens set to f: 2,8 shutter speed to 1/50 and ISO to 400.

Test DOF with motion blur

The linked video is 1920x1080, wmv at bitrate:2000. All done in Premiere Pro CS3.

If anybody see the irony, it's probably because they are old enough

Dag

• 5. Re: Canon 7D Video Help
                  peterquixotefilms Level 1

I went back to first principles as to why I could not uplift *mov files to Premiere.

I considered the possibility that it was because I am a New Zealander.

And it is that.

I had just got used to not being able to uplift *mov files, and there seemed many similar situations on Internet.

However my default Premiere presets are for 25 frames per second,  or as we have  here 50 interlaced.

That is the PAL system

So I started a new Premiere project project Premier in the 29.7 frames format, and hey presto dingo.

This was a big breakthrough, and it came because my little Sony Vaio  laptop was importing the *mov files into Premiere easily,

and looking into it I found the Premiere project was in NTSC  29.7 frames.

So there we go again. Operator mistake.

sorry adobe

Which leads me to wonder why we have  different cameras shooting at these preset TV frames rates, when they can be converted later on.

Recently I picked up a copy of the film  ' Occupation 101'  [ NTSC version] and I had to wander into the innards of my TV to convert

its reading format from PAL to NTSC.

Back to the Canon EOS 7d.

My  test shows the 1920 by 1080p video images are quite sharp, but I am comparing  with my old Sony HDV single CCD video camera,

so I will be looking for other comparisons.

I also converted the Canon *mov file to a traditional high quality 1920 1080p Mpeg file in Premiere and there seems no loss of quality there.

• 6. Re: Canon 7D Video Help

Dag Norum says :

Maybe somebody is a bit curious, so here is a rather "ironic" test. Shot in Tungsten light (500W halogen bulb) with a 50mm f 1:1.4 lens set to f: 2,8 shutter speed to 1/50 and ISO to 400.

Test DOF with motion blur

The linked video is 1920x1080, wmv at bitrate:2000. All done in Premiere Pro CS3.

If anybody see the irony, it's probably because they are old enough

Dag

It looked great to me Dag, the selective sharpness on the camera name labels was clean.

I give up    ..  .    What is the irony?  ... How come the camera winder  handle turns itself.

• 7. Re: Canon 7D Video Help
                      Dag Norum Level 2

I'm as well living in a PAL-country, that's why 7D is interesting for me, it does 25 frames per second. Finally Canon discovered something else than 15 or 30 FPS

Dag

• 8. Re: Canon 7D Video Help
                        Dag Norum Level 2

How come the camera winder  handle turns itself.

So, you didn't see the rubber-band

In order to quickly make the handle turn itself (which it does when you press the film-button), I had to force it.

The irony is that a classic camera as the Bolex is, it's filmed with a still camera...

Dag

• 9. Re: Canon 7D Video Help
                          fuaho Level 1

Lovely old 16mm Bolex using 100' single perf daylight loads with three Kern Paillard  lenses (probably a 75mm, 25mm & 13mm) on a turret, with variable frame rates to 64fps, being shot with a "still" camera using interchangeable lenses, variable frame rates and no film. How far we've come!

BTW, In normal use, after winding, the handle was unlatched (unfolded) from the clockwork mechanism and just locked in place so it didn't rotate while shooting.

I'm glad to see that you are at least rolling at 24fps, not the "suggested" 18.

This was the documentary, B-roll, and film school, MOS workhorse for many years.

Guess I'm old enough....

• 10. Re: Canon 7D Video Help
                            Failure Importing Canon EOS 7d  jpg images into Premiere.

The jpg images recorded in my test are 5184 pixels by 3456 pixels.

This equates to a ratio of 1.5.

It begs the question why CANON would produce a camera with a 16:9  or 1.77 format for video

and a 3:2   or 1.5 format for images.

What is the point of taking 1.5 ratio images which won't fit into the Video 1.77 format.

I am interested eventually in getting images at at least cinema film width of 2.35 to 1 format.

What is the point of this expensive camera by Canon if we can't mix and match images with video.

Further, my system disallows inporting Canon images into Premier, with the excuse,

"file dimensions to large".

Once I drop the width of the image back to 5000 pixels it will import, suggesting that 5000 is the limit,

and refusal occurs at the native 5184 by 3456 pixels.

I need image import of unlimited dimensions to use interaction between images and video.

My system is:

Intel core i7 920  2.66 Ghz

Asus p6T motherboard

6Gb ram

Saphire  HD 480540 x2 PCIE Video card

• 11. Re: Canon 7D Video Help
                              Dag Norum Level 2

peterquixotefilms,

No offence, but are you  kidding (first question: It begs....)? In case you aren't:

It begs the question why CANON would produce a camera with a 16:9  or 1.77 format for video

and a 3:2   or 1.5 format for images.

Eh, maybe because 3:2 is a pretty much used standard for SLR cameras, and 16:9 is also a pretty much used standard for HD video.

I am interested eventually in getting images at at least cinema film width of 2.35 to 1 format

You have the crop_tool in Photoshop (or it will be cropped automatically to the timeline/project setting in AE or Premiere), I would think the 7D has enough pixels to stand some cropping.

What is the point of this expensive camera by Canon if we can't mix and match images with video.

Nothing on earth prevents you (as long as you keep within the limitations of your app.) mixing video and photo.

I need image import of unlimited dimensions to use interaction between images and video.

Then I would use After Effects, unless my pictures are bigger than 30,000 x 30,000 pixels.

PS! I thought 4000 pixels was the limit for Premiere (maybe they have upped it now).

Dag

• 12. Re: Canon 7D Video Help
                                Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

4000x4000 pixels is still the upper limit for Pr.  Dag is also right about the AE limit.

-Jeff

• 13. Re: Canon 7D Video Help

Still photos in premiere

Attached is a wmv film made in CS3.

Hope it comes up.

The photos were montages reduced to and imported at 5000 pixels wide.

The problem is still getting similar composition from different formats:

Here in Pal NZ we still see TV with very  - w i d e -  looking people,

because the film is made in 4:3 and the Tv is in 16:9.

• 14. Re: Canon 7D Video Help

Sorry attachment didn't come up above:

The clip of photos to 16:9 video format is here:

It is labelled  NZ Warrior

peterquixote videos                      

http://www.vimeo.com/user483080/videos

• 15. Re: Canon 7D Video Help
                                      Dag Norum Level 2

Nice you liked my test video, but I do really hope you will ask for permission to use it if you are going to use it for professional/payed work.

Oh, to be credited is always nice, even though it's just a small "element"

Dag

• 16. Re: Canon 7D Video Help
                                        Dag Norum Level 2

RE: 5000 pixels wide,

I had to try it (5000x3333), and yes, Premiere CS3 imported it for me also. So, I made another still with the dimension 5000x3400, and that did not work.

Think I'll stick to the suggested 4000 max, so I don't figure out after a lot of work why Premiere states a bit under the possible limit.

Dag

• 17. Re: Canon 7D Video Help

Dag,

No the Warrior film clip is not part of any professional work.

I just like your Bolex clip and I  put in my array of still shots to show the difficulty of the mix and match with formats.

I originally thought that panorama scene shots moving across the frame would be a good substitute for rail and dolly video work.

But I notice that there is a fair bit of jitter in the movement.

Also when I reduced the HDV1080P  project to H264 encoding,  well  the individual frames were all over the place,

reasserting my basic fears about formats.

I had to encode to HDV18080P Mpeg 2 and from there to Windows WMV file.

As for After Effects, I have never so far given it the time needed to get to grips with it.

You have to realize that most Australians and  New Zealanders are derived from exported criminal stock,

and although we have quite big heads, surgical experience has shown that these  heads are not necessarily full of brains.

• 18. Re: Canon 7D Video Help
                                            shooternz Level 6

Here in Pal NZ we still see TV with very  - w i d e -  looking people,

because the film is made in 4:3 and the Tv is in 16:9.

That is incorrect and it is because you have your TV set up incorrectly.

NZ broadcasts 16:9  as FHA.  Full Height anamorphic.  ( Uses anamorphic 1:33 pixels)

NZ TV does not accept 4;3 for TVC broadcast but will occasionally  show SD material in programming. In this instance, the material is pillar boxed.

• 19. Re: Canon 7D Video Help
                                              shooternz Level 6

You have to realize that most Australians and  New Zealanders are derived from exported criminal stock,

You have got some weird ideas and again you are incorrect in regard to NZ'ers at least.

• 20. Re: Canon 7D Video Help
                                                Dag Norum Level 2

peterquixotefilms,

I liked the way you put in my clip! I have no whatsoever problem with it being used as you did, quite nicely by the way (oops, I have already said that), I just wanted to make sure you didn't "make money of my work" kind of thing you know...

Anyway, to do panning sometimes takes some horizontal blur to make it look good (can simulate motion blur in best case), or some experimentation with panning speeds. Oh my oh my, not an easy subject to go into. Not one rule seems to be valid all the time.

I did see your "individual frames all over the place", but that would be a whole discussion on its own, maybe due to different formats, and probably due to many other things as well. SORRY, but I can't be specific without sitting there with you (and probably not even then). Bottom line about that would probably be to convert original footage to something "easy to deal with format" together with a project/timeline setting that fits. I don't think the stills create any problems, except that you may want to try to reduce the width to 4000 pixels or less.

One really good advice at the end for now (going to bed): After Effects is a beast you really want to tame.

PS! You have to understand that the first Norwegian was the tribe's lunatic that was sitting behind on the edge of the glacier when it retracted up north 10,000 years ago

Dag (a Norwegian, probably not quite sane)

• 21. Re: Canon 7D Video Help

poor shooter, another typical precious NZer lacking any sense of irony,

• 22. Re: Canon 7D Video Help
                                                    shooternz Level 6
                                                    poor shooter, another typical precious NZer lacking any sense of irony,

The only irony I can see is that I can use and edit HD mov files from Canon D series cameras in PPro CS4,

I can mix media in my timelines

I can set my tv up to view the images as they are broadcast (in NZ). - In fact I shoot and produce product for NZ broadcast television.

Your historical knowledge is lacking.

...and you dont know what you are talking about technically.

• 23. Re: Canon 7D Video Help

But back to the original question,

Canon EOS 7D   Video in  QT *mov format

Why won't Premiere upload  *mov files : Can it ? Does it?

I can beat Dag here, I can get ten points and send him back to the ice cold cave of his relative:

Premiere CS3  does support  *mov files:

I am sure that many PC users, New Zealanders and australians  have refused all Apple and McIntosh  Steve Job stuff and now we have to get used to new profiles.

like Quicktime and H264

My breakthrough came when upgraded my  Apple Macintosh  Quicktime programs to QT 7 I think it ios.

A day later my computer caught up and rewarded me.

and now  I get ten points ,

I award myself,

and Shooter lots of television sets in  NZ  don't work Pal.

• 24. Re: Canon 7D Video Help
                                                        shooternz Level 6

and Shooter lots of television sets in  NZ  don't work Pal.

If  that is a fact ( and very arguable at that considering we broadcast PAL) ...it makes no difference.  NZ televison is broadcast FHA  (720 x576 PAL) and whatever standard the tv is, it  needs to be set up correctly to view the image how intended. ( ie un squeezed)

• 25. Re: Canon 7D Video Help
                                                          fuaho Level 1

Have any of you tried the Zoombrowser software that came with your camera? Usually there is an export function that converts Canon specific formats to more generic flavors that any NLE will open without problem.

HTH,

• 26. Re: Canon 7D Video Help
                                                            Mika Järvinen Level 1

NeoScene was the solution for me to edit Canon 7D video on PrE8. I struggled quite a long but finally this program was the best choice. There is 7 days tryout version to test it.

Editing is now possible for my over 3 year old computer (XP, AMD Athlon 64X2 3800+, 3 gigs ram) and even fun. PrE8 started immediatly atleast for me be very reliable and fun way to edit videos like I already knew it from dv-preset. But like said above, you really want to have also separate hard disk.

I can now edit the "first edit" like doing cuts and choosing the material without rendering first. Ofcourse rendering is needed to play it back smoother.. Well atleast I am very pleased with this now.

-Mike

• 27. Re: Canon 7D Video Help
                                                              cflnest Level 1

After searching on several DSLR video sites, I also learned about NeoScene and downloaded a trial version.

NeoScene worked quite well and I was able to edit (and export) my first 7D project in PP CS4, so I've purchased a copy.

Thanks for your answer,

Felicia