6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 3, 2009 1:12 AM by Mylenium

puppet tool not working

Crackfox11 Level 1

Hello gurus, I am teaching myself After Effects and need to learn a lot fast. Have only started so please explain any solution as if to a 3 year old, still working out where things are and what they do. When I try to place pins on my image (imported as footage from a .ai vector file or a .psd file) the cursor turns into a white arrow with a white square next to it. Wondering what I'm doing wrong.

Thanks for any help.

Regards,

Leah.

• 1. Re: puppet tool not working
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant
          When I try to place pins on my image (imported as footage from a .ai vector file or a .psd file) the cursor turns into a white arrow with a white square next to it. Wondering what I'm doing wrong.

You are holding down Alt? This is the pin selection tool/ mode, which should only come up when using that key. The noraml pin tools do not require modifier keys. If no pin is present, a new one gets added, if it hovers over the pin it becomes the pin move tool...

Mylenium

• 2. Re: puppet tool not working
            Crackfox11 Level 1

Nope. Not holding any other keys down. It will let me add pin points to the movie file also imported but when I try it on this image (imported as footage from either a .ai or a .psd file) it ticks over for a while then the arrow and square comes up.

Thanks,

Leah.

• 3. Re: puppet tool not working

That's pretty odd. Anything going on with the items in terms of special layer styles? Do you continuously rasterize the AIs? The tool failing would point to issues with transparency, so it is unable to calculate the initial mesh based on teh contours, it's just not clear why this is happening...

Mylenium

• 4. Re: puppet tool not working
                David Wigforss-Hv1BNN Level 2

I thought it was going to be a problem due to Continuous Rasterization, but then you also mentioned you tried it with a PSD...

Maybe post a screenshot of your AE window and timeline with your layer contents twirled down so we can see if you have anything weird out of the ordinary..

• 5. Re: puppet tool not working
                  Crackfox11 Level 1

Thought the image may be too complex but was wrong. Will keep at it. Any ideas appreciated. Have attached a screengrab.

Thanks,

Leah.

• 6. Re: puppet tool not working

Increase the number of triangles in the options. The many curves certainly cannot be accomodated with just 350. If you are not interested in animating every bough and twig, pre-compose and add some fill area. Then in your main comp, let it generate the mesh and you can turn off your auxiliary fill in the pre-comp.

Mylenium