3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 2, 2009 10:39 PM by pixlor

Importing a photo from Illustrator without losing feathered edge...

tenskir

I'm sure there's an easy way to do this (which will make me feel really stupid for asking) but I can't figure out how.

I have softened the edge of a photo using the feather tool in Illustrator and have saved the file as an AI file. When I import this file into Fireworks it loses the feathering. I have also tried saving it as an EPS file, but that didn't do the trick. Can anyone tell me what it is I'm doing wrong, or rather, not doing??

• 1. Re: Importing a photo from Illustrator without losing feathered edge...
          pixlor Level 4

Well...why not import the image into Fireworks and feather the edge there?

On the simple end, you can select the entire image or a portion of it with the marquee tool, use the items under the Select menu to modify the selection, including feathering. Then, invert the selection and delete to have a photograph with a fuzzy border.

On the more complex end, you can make a white vector object with a feathered edge. Place the white object over your photo, select the white object and your photo, then menu Modify > Mask > Group as mask. Where the white object is fully white, your photo will be fully opaque. Where your white object is transparent or semi-transparent, your photo will be, as well. (Bitmaps can also be used as masks. Black or grey in your masking object will also yield transparent or semi-transparent pixels on the masked object.)

• 2. Re: Importing a photo from Illustrator without losing feathered edge...
            tenskir Level 1

Thanks pixlor, your second suggestion worked great,so much easier than fiddling around trying to figure out how to import the image! Now I can get on with my project. Forums like this are really helpful when you've tried everything you can think of but are stuck. Really appreciate your input and once again, thanks.

• 3. Re: Importing a photo from Illustrator without losing feathered edge...
              pixlor Level 4

I'm glad I could help. Masking can be very useful and once you get the hang of it, it's pretty easy.