4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 2, 2009 9:05 AM by villain7

Capturing HDV...

villain7

I've been capturing HDV footage for the last few weeks now using premiere pro cs4, the quality is really good.. But I've just downloaded Cineform and captured a few clips, I've noticed there is a difference in the file size between a 30 second clip i captured with cine (414kb) and the same sized clip captured in cs4 is about 2 minutes long...?

There isnt much difference in quality, except that the cs4 clip is deinterlaced or something like that, I'm no pro so I might have this wrong, the footage has lines in it that you can only see when something fast happen, but if your filming a still shot it looks fine... (I think this is when the footage is deinterlaced? I'm not sure)

Also the footage captured in cine looks really good in cs4 and is a little more taxing on my pc, is this because cine captured the footage better and my computer is struggling? My pc is a quad core 2.6ghz, 4g ram, 64bit windows

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I've been trying to work this out for a while now!

• 1. Re: Capturing HDV...
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Cineform is an intermediate codec. This means that the data flow from capturing is translated into an intermediate Cineform codec, which takes about 3-4 times as much storage space but should be easier to edit with less burden on your system. The fact that it does not show a lesser burden may be caused by a suboptimal disk configuration, that struggles with the data rate required for Cineform intermediates.

• 2. Re: Capturing HDV...
            villain7 Level 1

ok so I've been playing with the footage captured in cine and I've noticed it struggles untill you watch it once then it seems to be ok... also the footage has a yellow line above it similar to the red render line, but you dont need to render it, its just there...

I just want to know if there is any point in recapturing the hours of footage I've already captured again using cine, or should i continue using cs4 premiere and forget i ever saw cineform?

• 3. Re: Capturing HDV...
              Harm Millaard Level 7

The yellow line just indicates that the material in the timeline has different properties that the sequence, but need not be rendered.

No need to recapture.

• 4. Re: Capturing HDV...
                villain7 Level 1

ok thanks I was a bit stressed out there for a bit