5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 2, 2009 7:05 AM by Jacob Bugge

Using gradients for brushes?

Annse71

Hi,

I have a problem. I would like to do a picture showing how dirty air enters a filter unit, gets cleaned by the filter and leaves the unit as clean air.

One way would be by using a brush with arrows, which symbolizes the air direction. I can do that, no problem. BUT I would like to combine that brush with a gradient that goes from black (dirty air) to blue (clean air). Does anyone have a clue on how to do that?

I can't change the colour to anything but black.

Many thanks in advance for your assistance!

/Annika

• 1. Re: Using gradients for brushes?
          Jacob Bugge MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Annika,

You have to replace the gradient by a blend.

• 2. Re: Using gradients for brushes?
            Annse71 Level 1

I am sorry, but I don't follow.

What is a blend and how do I work? Should I make the line first, then add the brush type (the arrows) and then what...how do I change the colour.

I am working in CS3 by the way...

Regards

Annika

• 3. Re: Using gradients for brushes?

Annika,

The solution may depend upon the version. I am still with 10, so new options may be availbale.

As far as I know, it is still impossible to create an Artbrush using a gradient. Instead, you may use a blend.

The blend (Object>Blend>Make and Blend Options) may be smooth, corresponding to a gradient.

You may:

1) Create a horizontal rectangle with a height corresponding to the desired width of the Artbrush (corresponding to the Stroke Weight), and a suitable width (maybe 100 mm, the exact number not very important unless you tick Proportional when you create the brush), and give it the rightmost end colour of the gradient,

2) With the Leftmost Reference Point ticked in the Transform palette, Copy it to the front (Ctrl/Cmd+C+F),

3) Reduce the width of the copy to 0.1 mm or so, and give it the leftmost end colour of the gradient,

4) Select both and Object>Blend>Make,

Now you have a blend looking like a gradient. You may drag it upon the New Brush button of the Brush palette, select Artbrush, and give it a name.

This brush can be applied to paths by selecting the path and clicking the Artbrush.

One clumsy way could be to:

5) Draw the path without the arrowhead with the same Stroke Weight as the Artbrush appearance and copy it to the front (Ctrl/Cmd+C+F),

6a) Hide the upper path (close its Eye in the Layers palette),

6b) Apply theEffect>Stylize>Add Arrowhead to the lower path,

6c) In the Appearance palette flyout tick Add New Stroke and give it the rightmost end colour of the gradient,

7a) Show the upper path (open its Eye in the Layers palette),

7b) Apply the Artbrush,

8) Group the two paths.

I am not sure which simpler and better options are available in later version.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Using gradients for brushes?
                Annse71 Level 1

I did it!!!

Many thanks for your assistance!

/Annika

• 5. Re: Using gradients for brushes?

You are welcome, Annika.

It may be worth keeping an eye on this thread to see whether a better/easier solutions shows up.