4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 9, 2009 10:21 AM by Ed.Macke

Scratch disks on EIDE... OK?

Ed.Macke Level 3

I have an 80GB EIDE sitting around doing nothing.

I'd like to use it for my Premiere scratch disk location (and for other "temp" files)... any performance issues with doing so (5000RPM, DMA)? I'm talking about real-world performance issues that I'd notice, as opposed to theoretical.

I'd be willing to wait an extra second or two to render (i.e hit Enter) or a few minutes when rendering a DVD as a tradeoff for getting to use this spare drive.

• 1. Re: Scratch disks on EIDE... OK?
          jackscon joseph Level 1

Which format do you using to edit the video (DV, HD, AVCHD)

• 3. Re: Scratch disks on EIDE... OK?
            Ed.Macke Level 3

OK, I answered my own question here, and for anybody interested, the answer is a resounding "no", it does not work very well to put your scratch disks on an EIDE drive (at least for DV-AVI source, which is what I was using)!

The time required to render previews was significantly more (subjectively, I'd say about double)

But, oddly enough, it was the *playing* of those rendered files that was the deal-breaker: suffice it to say that it was not just bad, or slow, but completely unusable.

I went to my Preferences, and moved all my scratch files to one of my SATA-II drives, and everything started working perfectly again.

• 4. Re: Scratch disks on EIDE... OK?
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Ed,

You beat me to the punch. I was going to mention that the 5K RPM would not yield good playback. I doubt that the controller type had THAT much of an effect (I use a 1TB ATA-100 for some Scratch Disk work, but it's 7200 RPM), and have no noticable issues over my SATA II's. Now, EIDE is slower, but not by all that much. I believe that you could do as you wish, if that older HDD was 7200 RPM, but that is just a guess on my part.

Thanks for reporting,

Hunt