15 Replies Latest reply on Oct 6, 2008 12:18 PM by Newsgroup_User

creating site from templates

dirkkemp
      hi. i have an existing site that i am creating templates for. i've created an index template and want to create a single template for all the department pages, but when i apply the template the text in the existing pages is changed to that of the template.

do i need to create a template for each department page?
        • 1. Re: creating site from templates
          Level 7
          No. you need to define "editable areas" in the template.

Then File->New->Template Tab
          click on this site from list on left, then this template from list on right.
          then click okay.

now open the existing page, and copy/paste the unique content in it over to
          the new page. then rename or delete the old page and save the new page with
          the old page's filename.

> do i need to create a template for each department page?

--
          Alan
          Adobe Community Expert, dreamweaver

http://www.adobe.com/communities/experts/

• 2. Re: creating site from templates
            dirkkemp Level 1
            i noticed two issue with the solution:

1)the paths are now local to my computer (href="faile:///G|/xxx)
            2) my menus indicate what page the user is on, but they are all changed to the to indicating that they are on the page the template was created from. i want to keep the menus locked

thanks for the quick response
            • 3. Re: creating site from templates
              Level 7
              > 1)the paths are now local to my computer (href="faile:///G|/xxx)

This always means one of the following two events is true -

1. DW thinks that the link is pointing OUTSIDE of the defined local root
              folder for the site, or
              2. DW thinks that the current file has been saved OUTSIDE of the defined
              root folder for the site

One thing that can cause DW to think one of these is true would be the use
              of illegal characters in your folder names, most often an apostrophe, e.g.,

C:/john's site/....

> 2) my menus indicate what page the user is on, but they are all changed to
              > the
              > to indicating that they are on the page the template was created from. i
              > want
              > to keep the menus locked

Sorry - I don't understand this.

--
              Murray --- ICQ 71997575
              Adobe Community Expert
              (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
              ==================
              http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
              http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
              ==================

"dirkkemp" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
              news:g5j1kv$i38$1@forums.macromedia.com...
              >i noticed two issue with the solution:
              >
              > 1)the paths are now local to my computer (href="faile:///G|/xxx)
              > 2) my menus indicate what page the user is on, but they are all changed to
              > the
              > to indicating that they are on the page the template was created from. i
              > want
              > to keep the menus locked
              >
              > thanks for the quick response
              >

• 4. Re: creating site from templates
                dirkkemp Level 1
                hi Murry, thanks for responding to my queries. you fixed the path issue.

sorry i may not have been clear enough, but each section page's name in the nav menu is highlighted, using CSS, to indicate what section you are in. with the one template i created, all pages made from it indicate that they are from the section the template was created from. to have each section's menu item highlighted, do i have to make a template for each section or is there a way to get the one template to keep each section's individual navigational setup?
                • 5. Re: creating site from templates
                  Level 7
                  I usually just embed a small stylesheet in the editable region in the head
                  of each child page that sets the desired "down" state for any such buttons.
                  You could make this happen automatically with server-side scripting, as
                  well.

--
                  Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                  Adobe Community Expert
                  ==================
                  ==================

news:g5l07d$ndp$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                  > hi Murry, thanks for responding to my queries. you fixed the path issue.
                  >
                  > sorry i may not have been clear enough, but each section page's name in
                  > the
                  > nav menu is highlighted, using CSS, to indicate what section you are in.
                  > with
                  > the one template i created, all pages made from it indicate that they are
                  > from
                  > the section the template was created from. to have each section's menu
                  > item
                  > highlighted, do i have to make a template for each section or is there a
                  > way to
                  > get the one template to keep each section's individual navigational setup?
                  >

• 6. Re: creating site from templates
                    dirkkemp Level 1
                    thanks ACE, i'll give the embedded style sheet trick a try.

this really saved me some time.
                    • 7. Re: creating site from templates
                      Level 7
                      Good luck!

--
                      Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                      Adobe Community Expert
                      ==================
                      ==================

news:g5ld8t$81f$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                      > thanks ACE, i'll give the embedded style sheet trick a try.
                      >
                      > this really saved me some time.

• 8. Re: creating site from templates
                        Dobler53
                        how do you ask a question in this forum?
                        • 9. Re: creating site from templates
                          Level 7
                          You just did...

Sounds like you posted a question and did not get a response, which is not
                          all that uncommon. Try rephrasing the question, and do so responding to
                          your original post, not in a new post. Perhaps more information about your
                          problem is required, and almost always either post a link or if that is not
                          possible, post your code..

Gary

"Dobler53" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                          news:gcdbt4$bhc$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                          > how do you ask a question in this forum?
                          >

• 10. Re: creating site from templates
                            Dobler53 Level 1
                            I am trying to create a template that I can apply to a group of pages. I am trying to design on that scales in such a way that the left and right margins and content areas stretch to fill by filling the container tag with the same background color. When I plug in a content page to the template file it doesn't not fill in the content area with white (content area background color) beyond the bottom of the txt. I need it to fill in to the depth of the page and look the sme in all browsers. How do I do that? Nothing I have tried has worked. If I give the conetent area a fixed heigh the text projects past the footer when the page is stretched. Is what I want to do possible?
                            • 11. Re: creating site from templates
                              Level 7
                              Im not sure if this anwers your question, but try looking here.

http://pmob.co.uk/pob/three-columns-fluid.htm

If you can you post a link, we might be able to help you better.

Gary

news:gcdgjv$he1$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                              >I am trying to create a template that I can apply to a group of pages. I am
                              > trying to design on that scales in such a way that the left and right
                              > margins
                              > and content areas stretch to fill by filling the container tag with the
                              > same
                              > background color. When I plug in a content page to the template file it
                              > doesn't
                              > not fill in the content area with white (content area background color)
                              > beyond
                              > the bottom of the txt. I need it to fill in to the depth of the page and
                              > look
                              > the sme in all browsers. How do I do that? Nothing I have tried has
                              > worked. If
                              > I give the conetent area a fixed heigh the text projects past the footer
                              > when
                              > the page is stretched. Is what I want to do possible?
                              >

• 12. Re: creating site from templates
                                Dobler53 Level 1
                                Hope that made sense
                                • 13. Re: creating site from templates
                                  Dobler53 Level 1
                                  I'll post a template and a page to a url and come back and give it to you
                                  • 14. Re: creating site from templates
                                    Dobler53 Level 1
                                    http://www.doli.virginia.gov/development/DOLIsite/boilersafety/boiler_safety.html

I can strech the page the way I want and have the left and right margins fill in with the container background color but I cannot get the center content area to fill in with the background color of the content area div tag (white) beyond the length of the content page that is plugged into the template. I can force it to fill by adding a nargin to the plug in page but it looks different in each browser
                                    • 15. Re: creating site from templates
                                      Level 7
                                      Faux Columns. Divisions don't assume background colors the way tables do.
                                      http://alistapart.com/articles/fauxcolumns/

--Nancy O.
                                      Alt-Web Design & Publishing
                                      www.alt-web.com

news:gcdk90$m3s$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                                      >
                                      http://www.doli.virginia.gov/development/DOLIsite/boilersafety/boiler_safety.htm
                                      > l
                                      >
                                      > I can strech the page the way I want and have the left and right margins
                                      fill
                                      > in with the container background color but I cannot get the center content
                                      area
                                      > to fill in with the background color of the content area div tag (white)
                                      beyond
                                      > the length of the content page that is plugged into the template. I can
                                      force
                                      > it to fill by adding a nargin to the plug in page but it looks different
                                      in
                                      > each browser
                                      >