8 Replies Latest reply on Nov 7, 2009 1:44 PM by the_wine_snob

Canon T1i with PE7 and Windows 7

dbagatelle

Just got a brand new computer (HP); Windows 7, 8 Gig RAM, 1 gig video card and PE7.

My video clips are from a Canon T1i (almost all 1280*720 30fps, but some might be 1920*1080 20fps).  They are .MOV files.

I created an 11 minute video with probably 100 clips.  After the video was about 2-3 mins, I started getting some memory issues.  Windows 7, to it's credit, has some of the friendliest crash I've ever seen.  Didn't brick.  just kind of said I had an issue and shut down. It opened up right away and I could continue editting.  As long as I continued to save things, I never lost much on a crash.

HOWEVER..

When I try to export the video, it crashes at about 7000/24000. 

I have already kicked my virtual memory from 8Gig (system selected) to about 20 gig.

I've read things about converting the clips from .MOV to DV-AVI, but seems like I'd have to rebuild the entire video. In addition, I'm concerned about losing the HD quality.

How can I make this work?  Or, is there better PC software for editing video from this camera?

Dave

• 1. Re: Canon T1i with PE7 and Windows 7
          Kodebuster Level 3

MOV files from still cameras are not in a format that will edit without issues with PE, that's why it's always advised to convert first.

You can use Windows Movie Maker for this.

If you have work in progress within PE, you could try to Export to DV-AVI from within PE.

This may, or may not work.

If it does, this will save you from having to re-edit work you've already done...

• 2. Re: Canon T1i with PE7 and Windows 7
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

You're right about converting, kodebuster, but I don't think MovieMaker can work with MOV files.

Prizm should work though.

Here is a list of programs and how to use them to convert your files.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/415317?tstart=0

• 3. Re: Canon T1i with PE7 and Windows 7
              Kodebuster Level 3

Got it Steve, sometimes we repeat ourselves so much on similiar convert issues to DV-AVI, we lose track of the advice we give...

• 4. Re: Canon T1i with PE7 and Windows 7
                dbagatelle Level 1

I won't get to try this out until Friday and I'm going to have to rebuild my entire movie.. but I guess if it works, I'll know for next time.  if it doesn't... ugh.. don't even want to think about that..

Only questions I have left are.. Will I lose quality in the conversion from MOV to DV-AVI? And, are some conversion software programs better than others in terms of retaining quality? (ex. Is it worth the $30 to buy quicktime pro, because it does the best job?)

Dave

• 5. Re: Canon T1i with PE7 and Windows 7
                  Kodebuster Level 3

As suggested in the FAQ's, Prism is free, has a nice intuitive interface, and works as advertised (did I say its free).

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/415317?tstart=0

On conversion to DV-AVI, it would be no different regarding quality, then you might witness if in fact PE handled .mov with no issues.

PE would convert files not handled natively to DV-AVI in order to edit them, so no matter what, a conversion takes place.

As with any convert, some quality may be lost, but for most it's minor, and quite acceptable.

Convert your .mov to DV-AVI, it's the ticket to the promised land...

• 6. Re: Canon T1i with PE7 and Windows 7
                    dbagatelle Level 1

That was the positive response I was looking for!

I'll test it out this Friday...

thanks a ton! (assuming it works.. but now I'm going to feel good for the next 2 days)

• 7. Re: Canon T1i with PE7 and Windows 7
                      dbagatelle Level 1

Prism works awesome.. very easy, especially with the batch convert.

I set  it to:

Output Format: .avi

Encoder Options:  DV Encoder NTSC

Width 1280*

Height 720*

Frame Rate 29.97

I changed the framerate, because that's what I always see in PE.  Was that correct?

As for the size, it worked, but the video is 1/2 the size of the original (maybe less).   Meaning I didn't get the full 1280X720.  Is there anyway to do this?

Would Quicktime Pro maintain the same file size?  If so, it would be worth the $30.

Thanks.. really appreciate your help.

• 8. Re: Canon T1i with PE7 and Windows 7
                        the_wine_snob Level 9
                        As for the size, it worked, but the video is 1/2 the size of the original (maybe less).

This is usually a mismatch between the source footage (the converted files) and the Project Preset. They should match.

Now, if you have HD footage, you will want to convert the .MOV format to the appropriate Frame Size. If you converted to SD (720x480), then this would be the cause of the Frame Size mismatch.

For .MOV footage, I use QT Pro for conversion, but have to admit that I do not do HD work, so the SD DV-AVI Type II is perfect for me. Others will have to give you specific recs. for HD material.

Good luck,

Hunt