11 Replies Latest reply on Nov 3, 2009 10:00 PM by -Subbi

black bars surrounding the clip on full screen

sirira2000 Level 1

I have a canon HF10 high def camcorder. I record movies in 1920 x 1080 format. When i play it on my TV or computer on full screen there is black bars surrounding the video; its in 16:9 but its not fitting the whole screen. I interpret the clips as NTSC on the orgainize tab by adjusting the pixels but there is still black bars. Please help.

Thanks,

Eric

• 1. Re: black bars surrounding the clip on full screen
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What pixel aspect ratio?

• 2. Re: black bars surrounding the clip on full screen
            sirira2000 Level 1

D1/DV NTSC widescreen 16:9 (1:2121)

• 3. Re: black bars surrounding the clip on full screen
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

You're saying that when you play your video from your camcorder on your TV it shows up with black around it?

Or are you saying that you convert the video to something or record it to a disc of some kind before you play it on your TV? It's really not clear from your post what you're doing and what's happening.

• 4. Re: black bars surrounding the clip on full screen
                sirira2000 Level 1

I'm saying that when I make my project on premiere elements 8 that the final result is 16:9 but there is black bars surrounded on all four sides. I'm recording in 1920x1080 and I'm interpreting the clip as NTSC (1:2121).  I've played with the pixel aspect ration but the final results is still surrounded by black bars on the full screen preview. It doesn't matter what file I export it as; H264, MPEG etc... the final result is still the same whether I preview it full screen on my pc or on my 16:9 television.

Thanks,

Eric

• 5. Re: black bars surrounding the clip on full screen

Are you sure your video is recorded in 1080? This sounds like you've possibly loaded a 720 horizontal line video into a 1080 project.

Is there a red line above your clips on your timeline?

If you right-click on the clip on the timeline and select Show Properties and open the Motion properties, does Scale show 100%?

• 6. Re: black bars surrounding the clip on full screen
                    Manstandvd

Are you sure your video is recorded in 1080? This sounds like you've possibly loaded a 720 horizontal line video into a 1080 project

My Camera is a Sony HDRFX7E. I set the Prog to HDV for capture

In project settings it shows Video Frame size 1440 horiz and 1080 vertical 16:9. I would have thought that meant the PC matched the camera??

Is there a red line above your clips on your timeline?

Only where there is a title or a transition on or above the timeline

If you right-click on the clip on the timeline and select Show Properties and open the Motion properties, does Scale show 100%?

Yes it shows 100%

Stan Williamson

Scapa

21 Bayne Drive

DINGWALL

IV15 9UB

Tel:      01349861749 (Answering service)

Mob:    07803768090 (Answering service)

Email:   swilliamson@toucansurf.com

• 7. Re: black bars surrounding the clip on full screen

You'll have to help us out here, since we don't have your camcorder. The specs online seem to indicate that it can record in a number of formats -- even standard DV. Can you ensure that it is recording in full HDV, at 1080i and not 720p? (If you've it set for progressive, it could well be recording at 720p. And, as I've said before, that would precisely match the symptoms you're describing.)

Also can you confirm that you're using this same HDV (not AVCHD) preset as your project setting?

Finally, I'd warn you again posting your e-mail address on forums. Spybots frequently tour web sites looking for e-mail addresses to spam.

You're more likely to fool them if you post your e-mail address as "stan at-sign manstandvd.co.uk."

• 8. Re: black bars surrounding the clip on full screen
                        Manstandvd Level 1

On my camera menu it says Rec Format HDV1080i. I know it can record in DV but always use the HDV 1080i setting even before I started doing Bluray discs. There is a setting to downgrade to DV which I used when capturing to make dvds. Only recently did I start doing Bluray and encounter the menu problem.

Stan Williamson

Scapa

21 Bayne Drive

DINGWALL

IV15 9UB

Tel:      01349861749 (Answering service)

Mob:    07803768090 (Answering service)

Email:   swilliamson@toucansurf.com

• 9. Re: black bars surrounding the clip on full screen

Maybe someone else has some insight, Stan. All I can say is that there's every indication that you're editing a video that smaller than your project preset.

Beyond that, I'm stumped.

• 10. Re: black bars surrounding the clip on full screen
                            chaosdsmFL Level 1

1440x1080 eh...  I have one of those camcorders that shoot 1080i content as compressed 1440x1080, & Premier Elements 8, unfortunately, PrE8 doesn't seem to recognize that your content is actually 1920x1080 in a compressed format, fortunately it can be fairly easily fixed.

1> After importing the video clip under the apropriate 1440x1080i setting, drag the clip to the timeline.

2> Right click on the clip in timeline & select "Show Properties"

3> click the "Motion" drop down arrow to open the motion options.

4> Uncheck the box marked "Uniform Scale"

5> click the "100.0" to the far Right of the heading "Scale Width" & enter 131.5 & hit enter. (I've tried a bunch of different scale width ratios from 125 to 140, 131.5 seems to be the closest fit to get the proper 16:9 aspect ratio)

Unfortunately, it appears that these steps have to be done with each individual video clip every time

• 11. Re: black bars surrounding the clip on full screen
                              -Subbi Adobe Employee

If the clip properties say "1440x1080" then if you create a project of "1440x1080" and output as "1440x1080" > I would imagine that there should be no need for a nonscaling and it should not show any black bar surrounding the video, unless the television of monitor where you are playing back the clip if not a 16:9 compatible one.

EM