10 Replies Latest reply on Apr 26, 2016 1:22 AM by Banter611

Disappearing Shape Tweens

UvulaBob

Has anyone else had a problem in CS4 where some shape tweens disappear when a .fla file is closed and then re-opened?

• 1. Re: Disappearing Shape Tweens
          jendehaan Level 4

I've heard of someone saying this was happening, however what actually occurred was the shape tweens were accidentily being dragged to a layer that doesn't support the shape tweens (like a tween layer).

If that's definitely not what's happening, I'd be interested in a file or steps to reproduce (I've never seen or heard of this happening).

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Disappearing Shape Tweens
            UvulaBob Level 1

I can try to figure out some kind of video-capture solution like FRAPS to show it, but here's what I do.

I shape-tween from some broken-apart text to other broken-apart text. I then save the .fla file. I close Flash and then re-open it. I open the .fla file. The shape tween is now gone. I can easily re-introduce it, but it's annoying to have to do every time.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Thanks,

Paul

• 3. Re: Disappearing Shape Tweens
              UvulaBob Level 1

OK, so here's a question. I found another post that describes the same problem I'm having. Someone mentioned this:

Classic tweens and shape tweens are not supported on tween layers.

This blows my mind. How is a Shape tween not supported on a tween layer? When is a tween not a tween?

• 4. Re: Disappearing Shape Tweens
                jendehaan Level 4

I'm guessing that someone could have been me (I believe the thread I'm thinking of was on this forum).

It's that old motion tweens are not supported on new tween layer types (IK and motion), that were created to support the new features that were introduced. Unfortunately (behind the scenes) it's not possible for the old tween formats (classic, shape) to share a layer with the new features.

I can't reproduce the problem with broken apart text, so more steps or the capture would be helpful.

Thanks!

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Disappearing Shape Tweens
                  UvulaBob Level 1

OK, so I think my problem is that I'm using a shape tween on a motion tween layer. I didn't realize that shape tweens were considered older than motion tweens, and that they needed to go on regular static layers.

Before I close the thread, can you point me in the direction of some timeline organizational best practices? Right now, I try to keep my layers as dense as possible because I don't like how cluttered things get simply becuase I want three or four  things to move for two seconds at the beginning of my five-minute video.

Thanks!

• 6. Re: Disappearing Shape Tweens
                    UvulaBob Level 1

Stupid double post.

• 7. Re: Disappearing Shape Tweens
                      jendehaan Level 4

Yes. We do have a bug filed internally so you get the same warning when dragging the frames to the layer that they can't be placed on it.

If you do want to organize your documents to have the shape tween on the same layer then you could always copy those frames and insert them inside a Graphic instance and put that instance on the tween layer (essentially, nest the tween). Then you can still scrub and see the tween and reduce the number of layers you have.

Or, layer folders.

Hope that helps!

Jen.

• 8. Re: Disappearing Shape Tweens
                        UvulaBob Level 1

Oh, hey! I didn't know you were THE Jen deHaan whose eyes have been staring me down through all those Flash articles I was reading.

Yay for a brush with People I Am Aware Of From The Internet.

Thanks for the help!

• 9. Re: Disappearing Shape Tweens
                          jendehaan Level 4

My pleasure

(I really oughta update that creepy picture)!

• 10. Re: Disappearing Shape Tweens
                            Banter611

Hi guys at Adobe- I'm having severe trouble using your product. Flash wont save tweens. =D any suggestions?