5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 3, 2009 5:25 PM by Steve Grisetti

Shot High Def Edit Standard

rtprtp Level 1

Hi All,

I am editing in STD in PE7, but want to still shoot HDV in case I need it in HD later. I am assumming the HDV footage will look as good or better than shooting in Standard, or am I missing something?

Thanks, ST

• 1. Re: Shot High Def Edit Standard
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Well, your hi-def footage will, by definition, have over four times the resolution.

And even if you downsample it and edit it as standard DV, it will look pretty darn good! It won't have the extra resolution, but other than that it should look, image-wise, as clean as the original.

Or am I not understanding your question? Are you asking if video shot in hi-def and edited in standard DV will look better than video shot in standard DV and edited in DV?

I so, the answer is that they should look pretty much the same. It's, after all, the same camera optics and transducing at work. The only difference is the resolution.

• 2. Re: Shot High Def Edit Standard
            Manstandvd Level 1

I have PE 4.

Captured DV runs smoothly while capturing. HDV is jerky when capturing.

However the final Bluray Product on a disc is markedly better quality than the DVD equivalent on a disc.

• 3. Re: Shot High Def Edit Standard

And a lot, of course, depends on your definition of "better".

As Stan says, you'll see a much cleaner, more detailed image in hi-def than you'll see in standard DV.

But, aside from resolution, you shouldn't see any difference in things like color reproduction.

Isn't that right, Stan?

• 4. Re: Shot High Def Edit Standard
                kkolbo Level 1

Actually, the resolution is better and there are a number of color advantages.  DV is 4:1:1 color sampling.  HDV is 4:2:0 color sampling.  That color sampling holds up better to increased saturation settings. The other advantage of using HDV for aquisition and then downsampling to SD for say DVD distribution is that if the NLE is decompressing the footage into 4:4:4 or even 4:2:2 in memory for editing, your NLE will have more color pixels to sample from when it has to convert to the 4:2:0  for the MPEG 2 on the DVD.  That is a simplistic explanation, but in short, your color saturation going to MPEG for DVD will be better if the aquisition is in HDV rather than in DV. If you are not seeing it. Push the saturation in the edit and see the difference when you pop itin the DVD player.

KK

JMHO

• 5. Re: Shot High Def Edit Standard

Thanks, Keith! That's very insightful!