24 Replies Latest reply on Nov 7, 2009 3:53 AM by Pete-1967

Bordering one layer.

estherwarda Level 1

Hello,

I only have this in a single layer PSD sent to me by the printer.

I'd like to put a whilte border (5 px or so) around the whole image/text, and stars.  in other words, the client wants me to put in on a black background, but it won't look good unless I border it in white.

Hope attaching the image works.  If not, I'll upload to URL.

Thank you!!!!

• 1. Re: Bordering one layer.
          pixlor Level 4

You've uploaded a .jpg (or it's been converted by the forum...). If you had a single-layer .psd, Fireworks should be able to open it. (Unless you have an older version of FW than the software that created the .psd, anyway.) What you want to avoid is saving, opening and re-saving a .jpg, as every round trip loses information.

Open your graphic. Probably the easiest thing you can do, then, is to go to Modify > Canvas > Canvas Size... (not Image Size...) and increase the height and width of the canvas by 10 pixels (for example). If you leave the anchor position in the center, then Fireworks will leave your graphic centered, giving you a 5-pixel border on all sides.

You may also need to go to Modify > Canvas > Canvas Color... and change the canvas color to white. (If you'd rather, you could add a white rectangle of the proper size, then move it behind your image using the Layers panel.)

At this point, you might want to save your work as a Fireworks .png. Then, go to File > Image Preview and set up the parameters to export to a flattened graphic. From the image content a 24-bit .png file would be great. Depending on the number of colors, you might get away with an 8-bit .png. A .gif would probably be the next best option (depending on colors), followed by .jpg. If you go with .jpg, use a high quality value and sharpen color edges.

(Nice logo, by the way! )

• 2. Re: Bordering one layer.
            estherwarda Level 1

WOW... great idea.  I never thought of making a larger WHITE image to set behind.  That worked like a charm, outling it perfectly!!!

Thank you so very much!

Esther

• 3. Re: Bordering one layer.
              pixlor Level 4

My pleasure, Esther! Happy to help!

~ Lorraine

• 4. Re: Bordering one layer.
                Pete-1967 Level 1

Hi there,

Just noticed this post and it solves one of my problems also however!

What if I wanted to add slight curved corner to each of the corners?

• 5. Re: Bordering one layer.
                  Michel Bozgounov Level 2

This is easy. If you'd like to have slightly rounded borders on a bitmap image, your best bet is to create a simple vector mask. Here's how:

If you have, say, a 500x400 bitmap image, and would like to apply rounded corners to it, first create a Rounded Rectangle (from the Tools panel at the left, select Rounded Rectangle from Vector tools) with exact same dimensions (500x400 px), fill color: solid white. Edit the rounded corners (use small yellow edit points) to fit your need best. Place the rectangle on top of the bitmap, then select *both* the bitmap object and the rounded rectangle, go to menu Modify > Mask > Group as Mask, done! :-)

I have attached here a small PNG example -- open it in Fireworks, it may help you.

Final note: When using masks, white = total transparency, black = non-transparent area. That's why I ask you to fill the rounded rectangle with fill: solid white.

• 6. Re: Bordering one layer.
                    Pete-1967 Level 1

That is exactly what I want to do, ref your example.

Going to give that a go and see how it turns out

• 7. Re: Bordering one layer.
                      Michel Bozgounov Level 2

Cool, glad I helped!

Speaking of masks, though, there's an amazingly good video tutorial by Jim Babbage, it'll give you all the "masking power" you may ever need in Fireworks:

http://www.adobe.com/devnet/fireworks/articles/masking_preso.html

I recommend it!

• 8. Re: Bordering one layer.
                        Pete-1967 Level 1

Hi again,

Hmmm this isn't working how I need, if I am doing this right!

On the file I have attached I have a transparent image that is saved as a png32. I need to have a thin gray border around this with rounded corners, as in your example. But I need to keep all the elements as they are because this is then being placed over an instance of Slideshow Pro.

So the final result should be my images changing in Slideshow Pro with a dark gray border with rounded corners.

Any thoughts?

• 9. Re: Bordering one layer.
                          Michel Bozgounov Level 2

Let me take a quick look at the PNG, I'll try to answer here later, if I can help!

• 10. Re: Bordering one layer.
                            Michel Bozgounov Level 2

Does it work this way? If you need to make some changes, try to open and edit the file I have attached here -- I hope I understood well your idea

Basically, it's a mask again, but on top of it, I simply added a rectangle with a dark stroke...

• 11. Re: Bordering one layer.
                              Pete-1967 Level 1

Morning Michel,

Yeah that is great and just about there. Have had a look at it in FW and have made the border thinner and lighter gray to match my site however you know the corners? How do I mask the little bit of background out so when it is displayed it only shows the image in the center? I need the border to be a light gray and the backing to be a darker gray. At the moment I can still see the image behind each of the rounded corners.

Thanks so much for your help

• 12. Re: Bordering one layer.
                                Michel Bozgounov Level 2

Hmm, I don't understand you well, maybe...

Currently, around the image in the center, around the rounded corners, the background is transparent, as requested, right?

In the middle of the illustration, the background is transparent too, but this is on purpose?

Basically, I have attached in my previous message a PNG file with a basic vector mask inside. You have the image, you have a rounded rectangle, they are grouped as Mask, on top, you have a rounded rectangle that has a gray stroke and I use it for the border.

You can freely edit the mask below (look in the Layers panel), you can edit the rectangle that is used for the mask, and you can edit the top rectangle (its stroke, etc.).

With that, you can do anything -- edit the rounded borders, change the color of the background, make the rounded borders bigger or smaller, etc.

• 13. Re: Bordering one layer.
                                  Pete-1967 Level 1

Hmmm this is hard to explain.

The center is transparent yes, and the border is just what I was after. It is the little area behind each rounded corner that I need to have solid.
                                  I'm not really getting my head round the masking business which is frustrating. Ideally I am after just what you have done but the little area's behind the rounded corners solid in a different colour to the border.

• 14. Re: Bordering one layer.
                                    Michel Bozgounov Level 2

Ahh, I got it! Then you better use Punch command (Modify > Combine Paths > Punch). Then you will have a solid area behind the border.

For example, select two objects -- rounded rectangle and normal rectangle. Modify > Combine Paths > Punch. You will probably get a result something like a window, and everything below will sort of show-through.

I'll attach here a simple example, hope this will help you!

• 15. Re: Bordering one layer.
                                      Pete-1967 Level 1

Hurrah! Thank you Michel that is exactly what I was looking for.

Have never heard of using the 'punch' command and must admit I still do not fully understand what it is you have done. Thank you for sending it as an attachment, I will have a look at it in FW and work out what it is you have done.

Thank you soooooooooooooo much, I really appriciate your help

• 16. Re: Bordering one layer.
                                        Michel Bozgounov Level 2

Punch command is easy. Example:

Create a vector rectangle. Create a circle. Place the cricle on top of the rectangle. Now select both objects (click on one, hold shift and press on second = both are selected), then go to Modify > Combine Paths > Punch. Result: you have created a hole in the rectangle! Now if you place this rectangle with the hole on top of some other object, the object will be seen through the hole...

That's what I basically did, but I used rounded rectangle and normal rectangle...

Glad I helped! Try to use some Modify > Combine Paths commands, you'll grasp easily the basics. Fireworks is easy -- much easier to understand than Photoshop at least

• 17. Re: Bordering one layer.
                                          Pete-1967 Level 1

Yes I get what you mean now and will give it a go. I guess once you have used the 'punch' command and got the circle you can then apply a border, like you have done for me?

I agree ref Fireworks v Photoshop. I gave up trying to use Photoshop ages ago and stumbled across FW by chance and must admit, with the help of this forum, have worked out how to do many things. But as you have shown there are still many things to learn.

Thanks again.

• 18. Re: Bordering one layer.
                                            Michel Bozgounov Level 2

Glad I helped! :-)

Play more with Fireworks, read some tutorials and articles, then if you'e stuck using a particular feature, ask here again, we'll try to help! :-)

• 19. Re: Bordering one layer.
                                              Pete-1967 Level 1

I can spend hours playing with Fireworks, it is a godsend compared to Photoshop.

Thanks for advise, I'm sure I'll be posting stuff on here very soon :-)

• 20. Re: Bordering one layer.
                                                Pete-1967 Level 1

Morning,

Don't want to sound to thick but!

How do I apply a border to a punched imaged?

Say I do as you suggested. Make a square, draw a circle then highlight both and 'punch' leaving me with a circle in a square.

How do I then apply a border to the circle?

• 21. Re: Bordering one layer.
                                                  Michel Bozgounov Level 2

If this is easier for you, simply create a *new* object on top of the punched composite one! :-)

Apply the border to the object on top, remove its fill, done! :-)

As I said, please study how my example is done! Open the Layers panel. You will see on top of all layers one object -- a rectangle, to which I have applied a stroke (this is the border).

Did you check my example in Fireworks? Did you check its layers? :-)

• 22. Re: Bordering one layer.
                                                    pixlor Level 4

Pete-1967 wrote:

Morning,

Don't want to sound to thick but!

How do I apply a border to a punched imaged?

Say I do as you suggested. Make a square, draw a circle then highlight both and 'punch' leaving me with a circle in a square.

How do I then apply a border to the circle?

Any vector object has both a fill and a stroke. Basic fill and stroke can be set in the Colors panel (fill is shown blue, stroke is shown red and recessed as it's the one I just set):

border1.png

If you use the Colors panel to set a basic stroke, the stroke section of the Properties panel updates accordingly:

border2.png

You can, of course, use the Properties panel to set a stroke to begin with. Choose a stroke type (the drop down box on the right of the section), a width (in the middle) and a color (left). The Edge parameter has a dependency on the stroke type. The Texture type and percentage will interact with the stroke in interesting ways.

Here, for example is a square with a star punched out of it. The stroke is set to Light Marker, width is 20, Edge is 11, Texture is Line-Vert 2 at 50%:

border3.png

(This is a Fireworks .png document, so you should be able to see the settings in the Properties panel if you open it in FW.)

• 23. Re: Bordering one layer.
                                                      Pete-1967 Level 1

Thank you both.

I will study this a little further. For some reason I am not getting my head round this. Its placing a border inside a punched image I am having trouble with.

Will play a little further with your examples and will no doubt get the hang of it.

Thanks again

• 24. Re: Bordering one layer.
                                                        Pete-1967 Level 1

GOT IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Worked it out at last.

As you said it's easy................ when you know how!