4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 5, 2009 4:14 AM by Jeff Bellune

Work flow? How to link multi-cam sequences for DVD output?

k2kramer-cIzBOv Level 1

Pr cs4 (very new)

Still taking baby steps each day... please take my hand and help me!

Final output will be 2 DVD's (each DL) each about 2 hrs. Content are chamber music student groups in two recitals.

I have assets from two camera angles. I have successfully practiced on one of the groups performance (10 min.) following the steps illustrated in a multi-cam tutorial.  http://www.adobe.com/designcenter/video_workshop/?id=vid0234

This leaves me with a great multi-cam sequence for that group located in the Project Panel, exactly what I want.

Now, I want to know what is the best method (workflow?) to ultimately produce a DVD containing about 10 of these type performances (one after the other) with chapter markings for each group, titles etc.?

I have yet to use Encore and I'm guessing that is where I'll send the finished edit for DVD production, though I don't know at what step I jump there?

Do I try to create one very long multi cam sequence of all the content, then send to Encore? Or can I create seperate multi-cam sequences (each performance) then link them together, adding transitions and make the DVD? This would be my preference to keep things more manageable, especially with audio synching.

With my practice multi-cam sequence on the timeline, I tried to drag the same sequence from the Project Panel to the end of the timeline to simulate how this would work, but it does not add to the timeline as a clip would.

This is probably childs play for you pro's, but we were all baby's at one time...I just happen to still be one!

Thanks for your patience and advice,

Kenny

• 1. Re: Work flow? How to link multi-cam sequences for DVD output?
          Jim_Simon Level 8
          please take my hand and help me!

Well, at least you had the gumption to admit that up front.

• 2. Re: Work flow? How to link multi-cam sequences for DVD output?
            k2kramer-cIzBOv Level 1

Yes I did...now toss me a cookie please.

I am trying to quickly get up to speed in Pr CS4 to get this project completed. In the process, I'm trying to learn and understand the interface and correct terminology so as to make my questions intelligible to a community that posses vastly greater understanding than myself.

Is there anyone who can help with my main question at hand? Namely, how to go about creating a full length sequence (in the timeline) made via the nesting of synchronized multi-camera clips within a new "multi-cam sequence"?

As I said, I have completed a small test sequence in this fashion, nesting clips in a new sequence then using multi-cam monitor to record cuts. Now I need to add about 10 more of these together in a completed sequence to then send to DVD production.

Is this intelligible?

Thanks, Kenny 

__0

_ \<,_

()/ ()

Date: Wed, 4 Nov 2009 09:11:06 -0700

To: kennykramer@msn.com

Subject: Work flow? How to link multi-cam sequences for DVD output?

please take my hand and help me!

Well, at least you had the gumption to admit that up front.

>

• 3. Re: Work flow? How to link multi-cam sequences for DVD output?
              Matt Petersen Level 3

Kenny,

Prerhaps the easiest way is to bump MPEG-2's out of each seqence and pull them into Encore as assets. That way if you spot any little errors in a sequence while you're in Encore, you'll just have to replace that one bit.

While I'm not 100% sure, I don't think there's really any difference between hauling one long MPG2 or a bunch of smaller ones into Encore, which is where all the main action is going to happen. There'll all going to end up concantenated on the timeline anyway so a viewer can hit the "play all" menu button to see the whole thing.

As usual with something new, RTM > test > fail > RTMA > test.

MP

• 4. Re: Work flow? How to link multi-cam sequences for DVD output?
                Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

If you do decide to go the multiple-MPEG2 file route, make sure there's at least 2 seconds of audio and video black at the beginning and end of each performance.  This will account for the differing hardware quality between cheap and expensive hardware DVD players, and allow your audience to enjoy what will appear to be a seamless "Play All" experience.

-Jeff