5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 16, 2009 9:22 AM by Trish Meyer

Conflict between write-on and continuously rasterize

rossbb Level 1

After importing the components for a growing element from illustrator I used a series of notion paths with the write-on effect to create the growth animation. I realized after I was done that I had forgotten to turn on continuously rasterize for the layers. Turning it on at this point however makes the motion path tweak badly. I realize this has to due with the change in render order for the effects on the layer, but I can't seem to find an effective way to fix it. Even re-pasting the original motion path seems to fail. My key frames get spatially spread all over. Any suggestions would be very welcome!

Thanks!

Ben

• 1. Re: Conflict between write-on and continuously rasterize
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Pre-compose the vector art at sufficiently large size. For the strokes,  copy&paste the motion to a mask on a dummy solid that matches the size of your vector art, resize the mask, copy&paste back to the brush position and adjust the brush radius. Also consider using a matte instead of having write on operate directly on the footage item.

Mylenium

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Conflict between write-on and continuously rasterize
            rossbb Level 1

Thanks for the quick response! Forgive me if I don't quite understand your directions. However, as I interpret them, that would mean starting over on a file with over 2 dozen layers. If there is absolutely no other way I suppose I don't have a choice, but other suggestions would be extremely welcome.

• 3. Re: Conflict between write-on and continuously rasterize
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

You can copy&paste position data to masks, the properties must just be selected in the timeline. That part should be no problem. The only caveat might be that the keyframes need to be re-arranged in tiem (pasting from a mask always comes in as a 2 second duration), but that's why you should duplicate the layer to keep the original keyframes around, which likewise can be easily copy&pasted. Especially if you use "good" values, i.e. even multiples when scaling the masks (hence a properly sized solid as guide) that should be pretty quick to do. Likewise, you can pre-compse your vector art from the timeline (Ctrl+Shift+C) and choose to leave all attributes in the current comp. No effects and other stuff will get lost. Once created, you can simply resize the pre-comp to your needs in the Composition Settings and CR your vector artwork, resizing it to fit. Again, use controllable values liek making it twice as big as before. Then in your main comp, all you need to do is scale it back to 50%. All that probaly takes 15 minutes to do. Unless of course, there is something you haven't told us yet that complicates things...

Mylenium

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Conflict between write-on and continuously rasterize
                rossbb Level 1

Mylenium,

Thanks for the advice. I already have all the motion paths as masks. That is how I brought them over to begin with, and copying over the scale keyframes is also fairly simple. It is a bit of a pain to re-time each layer as I have already spent some time doing so. That said, my biggest issue is with the size I need everything to be. Due the the proximity of the camera flying by the vine, I would need to scale up the vector art over 500% to something like 250,000px. It seems to me that there ought to be a way of getting write on and continuously rasterize to play nicely without needing to create such a large file. Which is several times larger than either illustrator or AE will let you create anyway. I'll keep at it. Thanks again!

Ben

• 5. Re: Conflict between write-on and continuously rasterize
                  Trish Meyer Level 1

Sorry to throw you off kilter, but if you are using Write-on to simply reveal your vines, then here's a better approach using Stroke effect. Copy your paths from Illustrator and paste it right on top of the SAME layer in After Effects - you should get a yellow mask outline that matches your layer. Apply the Stroke effect, and tweak it to use Mask 1, make a nice thick white line that covers your original layer, and then set the last popup to Reveal Original Layer. When you now animate Start (or End), you will be able to use the animated Stroke as a traveling matte.

The only drawback to Stroke vs. Write-on is that the latter can have lines of various thicknesses over time (it's a baby particle generator in that sense, with birth-life characteristics). Although you can animate Stroke's thickness, the stroke can only be one thickness at any point along the timeline. But for vines, which are generally simple thicknesses, this should work better and is much easier to setup.

Trish