6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 10, 2010 9:40 PM by bgrevel

an unknown error has occurred

Ahmad_Jebarah

I'm working in Adobe illustrator   CS4 with a windows xp sp3 I just recevied the message "an unknown error has occurred" when trying to open a file

please help me

• 1. Re: an unknown error has occurred
          Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

Was the file created by Illustrator and if so by what version?

Have you tried placing the file into a new empty Illustrator document?

It is posible that this is font related have you tried to disable your fonts?

Have you tried to repair the permissions?

• 2. Re: an unknown error has occurred
            Jacob Bugge MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Ahmad,

To continue the questioning:

Does it happen with a single file or with all files?

Is it a new issue, in other words has it worked without the error before?

• 3. Re: an unknown error has occurred
              Ahmad_Jebarah Level 1

I have CS4 version , after appears this issue .  i uninstalle all adobe illustrater package from my pc ,then reinstalle adobe illustrator again.

but unfortunately still the same error after installed.

- if the font related to this problem please provide me how to disable fonts .

- problem appears to all files in illustrator.

Thanx in advance.

Ahmad

• 4. Re: an unknown error has occurred
                Jacob Bugge MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Ahmad,

I have CS4 version , after appears this issue .  i uninstalle all adobe illustrater package from my pc ,then reinstalle adobe illustrator again.
                but unfortunately still the same error after installed.
                You may try to Move the folder, or use the Clean Script, http://www.adobe.com/support/contact/cs4clean.html, between uninstall and install.

- if the font related to this problem please provide me how to disable fonts .

- problem appears to all files in illustrator.

You disable fonts by moving them out of the Windows>Fonts folder in Win; I am not sure about Mac. This requires some care. If you have installed some new fonts which may have caused the trouble, you may move them to another folder (on the Desktop or elsewhere easily found), and try again. If that does not help, you may move them all back; if it helps, you may move them back (in bundles or one at a time) until the issue reoccurs and you have found the bad one to leave out.

• 5. Re: an unknown error has occurred
                  polloq

I get the Unknown error has occurred message when I try to save a document which has text positioned directly on the artboard. If I move the text off the artboard, I can successfully save the document. What is going on?

I'm also on CS4, running Windows 7. On another system, which is running Windows XP, I can save regardless of where in the document the text lies.

Thanks.

• 6. Re: an unknown error has occurred
                    bgrevel Level 1

I've been tearing my hair out over this for a few days.. I've reinstalled illustrator CS3 and CS4 and Acrobat (because I had a sneaking suspicion it may have been involved) and I still kept getting the 'Unknown error occurred' message.

After reading your issue of not being able to save a document with text that's positioned on the artboard, I took my design off the artboard and it saved!! Which allowed me a workaround.. Position the design on the artboard, convert text to paths and it saves fine. I'm happy to accept this compromise for now so thanks for bringing it to my attention.

I really hope someone figures this out though because it's absolutely ridiculous.

For what it's worth.. I've got the issue occurring with both CS3 and CS4 running Windows XP X64. Which is opposite to polloq so it rules out the OS being a considering factor.

B.