18 Replies Latest reply on Nov 8, 2009 10:10 AM by Editor Naama

mpeg-4 codec issue = very sluggish playback?

ScreenRighter

Can I be missing some mpeg-4 codec that would cause horrendous sluggish playback (stutter/freeze/lag etc.)?

I am having horrible sluggish playback with P2 HVX footage -- MXF files.  (720p 24p).

(Fully edited movie, black and white effect added, all rendered, green line.)

However, a new clue arose. I exported a 77 MB complete version of the film (17 minutes) and it plays back in independent QuickTime window horrendously with very similar stutter/sluggishness!  I exported it H.264 YouTube HD Widescreen setting resulting in an mp4 file. There is no reason a file that tiny should play sluggish unless I am missing a codec, or some graphics card driver problem? Are MXF files wrappers of MPEG-4 format?

If you need my specs they were posted here in an earlier discussion attempt.

Thanks for any help!!

• 1. Re: mpeg-4 codec issue = very sluggish playback?
          Editor Naama Level 1

I'm not sure this goes for MPEG-4 too.

I was just reading about MPEG-2. Here are the different solutions I've found:

1. It's a compressed format so in order to edit it in premiere you have to get a plugin that costs about 60$.

2. You can also edit it with a different software for MPEG such as: Ulead (or corell) Video studio, Magix, Womble.

It's supposed to be important to set the encoding the same as the source. The reason is that because it's already compressed, you don't want to lose quality by encoding and compressing it.

3. There is also a free program called streamclip for conversion.

4. I've read somewhere that you can separate the MPEG to audio and video with a free program called: prastrumento and then cut and join with cuttermaran.

• 2. Re: mpeg-4 codec issue = very sluggish playback?
            Harm Millaard Level 7

Your remarks are much too generic and therefore largely inaccurate. It may be better to first learn about MPEG encoding, before you mislead people with inaccurate, or at least incomplete information. Take one example, HDV which is a flavor of MPEG2. It can be captured and edited natively without any of your mentioned tricks.

• 3. Re: mpeg-4 codec issue = very sluggish playback?
              Editor Naama Level 1

Yea, I guess that it's not the same kind of MPEG. Sorry.

Hey, don't mean to mislead anyone, just trying to help.

• 4. Re: mpeg-4 codec issue = very sluggish playback?
                Harm Millaard Level 7

I never intended to say you were intentionally misleading, far from it, but as often happens here, people are very critical about the accuracy of statements here, as I was and which has been pointed out to me often when I made remarks that were either inaccurate, misleading or plain wrong. The fact of the matter is that each MPEG, whether that is MPEG2 or MPEG4, comes in many flavors, each with their own characteristics. Some edit natively and without problems, some don't. Same with AVI, which is just a wrapper and can contain many different codecs, some of which are great for editing, others a plain disaster.

Keep up the good work, read a lot of posts here and you will quickly pick up a lot of expertise about formats and so on.

If I offended you in any way, please accept my apologies. I only intended to show you that blanket statements often lead to misunderstandings.

• 5. Re: mpeg-4 codec issue = very sluggish playback?
                  Editor Naama Level 1

I accept your remark. You're right. I'll read more about it. :-)

• 6. Re: mpeg-4 codec issue = very sluggish playback?
                    Jim_Simon Level 8

Getting back to the original question, the issue here likely isn't a missing codec.  When that is the case, the video will not play at all.

The MXF files created by P2 cameras are not MPEG of any variety.  In your case they're likely DVCPRO HD, which generally edits a lot smoother than MPEG.

Report your specs, so we can see what we're dealing with.

• 7. Re: mpeg-4 codec issue = very sluggish playback?
                      John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

First, work through all of the steps here http://ppro.wikia.com/wiki/Troubleshooting
                      If your problem isn't fixed after you follow all of the steps, report back with the DETAILS asked for in the questions at the

end of that link

• 8. Re: mpeg-4 codec issue = very sluggish playback?
                        ScreenRighter Level 1

I will post them again, but FYI I already posted my specs in a link back to an earlier posting. I guess you all missed that:

ScreenRighter wrote:

If you need my specs they were posted here in an earlier discussion attempt.

Thanks for any help!!

But I just want to say-- 77 MB mp4 file-- you really think specs are an issue? A 77 MB mp4 file on my desktop??

Maybe there is confusiong because I also mentioned my Premiere Pro sluggishness, but please notice here I am talking about a standalone mp4 file on my desktop-- because I think it could be a clue into my Premiere Pro sluggishness. Get it?

One further clue, and this is bizarre: a 175 MB mp4 file on my desktop plays fine! It is the same movie,

but it is not the YouTube HD Widescreen export setting. It was H.264 regular export, non widescreen, non HD, and it was done on CS3.

Now I am on CS4, and this 77 MB export was done on CS4.

Other things that are different that probably don't matter are that the earlier export was 29.97 (not sure why I did that) and this new one (77 MB that plays stutter/pause) is 24 and this one had a very low export bitrate because I was trying to go under 100 MB.

Here they are again, and if you tell me my specs are too underpowered to play a 77 MB mp4 file on my desktop, I will likely hit you:

I shot on HVX-200 P2 footage MXF files. HDV.  24p. 720p. My project is 17 minutes long, fully edited sequence, all effects rendered (green bar).

I edited on CS3 first and imported to CS4 and now am in horrendous-freezing land.

(Created new project and imported.)

I have done all the CS4 updates. I am on 4.1.0

MAIN CPU (laptop)

Dell Inspiron 1720 laptop 5400 rpm

Internal 136 GB (41.7 GBs free) C:drive

Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit (SP2)

Memory: 4.00 GB RAM (I just upgraded and think that is the max on my model, but would upgrade more if possible.)

Intel Core 2 DUO T7250 2.00 GHZ 2.00 GHZ

EXTERNAL

Seagate Free Agent 1.5 TB drive

Attached via Fire-Wire 400

7200 rpm

• 9. Re: mpeg-4 codec issue = very sluggish playback?
                          Harm Millaard Level 7

Sluggish playback is to be expected with your system specs. It is OK for DV, it is marginally OK/borderline for HDV, it is insufficient for AVCHD. EOS.

• 10. Re: mpeg-4 codec issue = very sluggish playback?
                            Jim_Simon Level 8

I would second Harm's opinion about your system being the culprit here.  The two things I see as an issue are the 5400 RPM internal and the FireWire external.  Ideally you want at least three 7200 RPM internal drives.  (Hence, Desktop.)

It's very possible your system just can't meet the demands of CS4 and P2 media.

The MP4 file is a separate matter.

• 11. Re: mpeg-4 codec issue = very sluggish playback?
                              ScreenRighter Level 1

Really??? A 77 MB file on my desktop, playing in QuickTime player standalone? CS4 is not open. Are you serious???

Don't you think that's a driver problem or something??

• 12. Re: mpeg-4 codec issue = very sluggish playback?
                                Jim_Simon Level 8

For the P2 media I think it's a disk issue.  Not enough of them, not fast enough the ones you have.

• 13. Re: mpeg-4 codec issue = very sluggish playback?
                                  Harm Millaard Level 7

No, it is a simple matter that your laptop does not have the muscle required for that material.

EOS (End of story).

• 14. Re: mpeg-4 codec issue = very sluggish playback?
                                    ScreenRighter Level 1

Dude, whatever.

I accept that reply for my Premiere Pro sluggishness but not when it's closed and I'm talking about Quicktime play of a 77 MB mp4 file (HD widescreen) on my desktop whilst a different 175 MB mp4 file (non-HD, non-widescreen) plays fine. There is obviously a technical problem in play here (that is over my head) that is beyond the system specs issue. I guess it is over the heads of the posters on this board (or their abilities to communicate/explain).

EOS. My question will go unanswered. Appreciate it, dude.

(Also, a lot of people are skimming what I post and it makes things go around in circles. People should read things carefully.)

EDIT: My question will go unanswered. (not "answered" like I accidentally posted.)

Message was edited by: ScreenRighter

• 15. Re: mpeg-4 codec issue = very sluggish playback?
                                      Editor Naama Level 1

Hello ScreenRighter,

Please don't be mad. I might be totally wrong. This is only a suggestion.

I've read this thread.What I understand out of the people's posts is: Perhaps, because your system is not fit for HD, your cs4 isn't even capable of creating a good exported file and therefore, the playback of the file isn't good either. Hence the file maybe corrupt.

Have you tried to export it with different settings?

Or have you tried to play the file on a different computer?

• 16. Re: mpeg-4 codec issue = very sluggish playback?
                                        Jim_Simon Level 8

I guess it is over the heads of the posters on this board

It's simply a separate issue.  For myself, I was sticking with the Premiere issue.

• 17. Re: mpeg-4 codec issue = very sluggish playback?
                                          Bill Gehrke Most Valuable Participant

Why don't you test your computer and the tuning of your compurter with my Premiere Pro BenchMark  (PPBM) and see how it rates?

• 18. Re: mpeg-4 codec issue = very sluggish playback?
                                            Editor Naama Level 1

I'm replying to myself after realizing what rubbish I wrote here...

Editor Naama wrote:

I'm not sure this goes for MPEG-4 too.

I was just reading about MPEG-2. Here are the different solutions I've found:

1. It's a compressed format so in order to edit it in premiere you have to get a plugin that costs about 60$.

2. You can also edit it with a different software for MPEG such as: Ulead (or corell) Video studio, Magix, Womble.

It's supposed to be important to set the encoding the same as the source. The reason is that because it's already compressed, you don't want to lose quality by encoding and compressing it.

3. There is also a free program called streamclip for conversion.

4. I've read somewhere that you can separate the MPEG to audio and video with a free program called: prastrumento and then cut and join with cuttermaran.

I was about to edit with a certain Sony camera that shoots MPEG and found some info on the net stating it can't be edited on premiere. And that's why and how I found the above info.

However, Premiere Cs4 is a beast! It manages to edit this format. I think the info I wrote is not updated, and probably refers to older Sony camcorders or older program versions.