5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 5, 2009 1:26 PM by miles.muso01

Premiere Elements 8.0 stops loading after finding specific dll

miles.muso01

Hi All,

Just downloaded trial version of PE8.0.  Install went well, but aftr selecting 'create new project' from the start-up menu, the app hangs, and I have to kill it manually using ProcessExplorer.  I thought at first it was my firewall (Kaspersky) but after turning that off, the problem still persists.

A new project initialises (according to top right status text which is continually moving) and certain applets, filters, etc start to load, but the hang happens when it attempts to load SaffireComp.dll.  Now I have SaffireComp.dll (an audio compressor plugin) as part of my plug-ins for Cubase (a sequencer package), so maybe this is causing the problem, although Cubase is not running when I have these problems.

Is there an ini file which is loading these DLLs?  In that case, maybe I can edit out reference to this specific DLL.  Alternatively, is Premiere Elements looking at any particular folder on my drive (or maybe even the whole drive?) to see if it can find any audio/video plugins, and then attempting to load them?

I'd be grateful of any ideas or workrounds you can come up with - I really want to buy this product. but currently I can't even get it to run.......

Thanks

• 1. Re: Premiere Elements 8.0 stops loading after finding specific dll
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

It could well be a program/driver conflict. Unfortunately, I could find no information on that driver from a Google search.

Aside from insuring that you've got the latest version of the driver, I'm not sure what to suggest. It might be worth temporarily disabling the driver (by changing its name to SaffireComp.old) to see if Premiere Elements will load then.

If it does, then you can decide which program is more important to you.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Premiere Elements 8.0 stops loading after finding specific dll
            blackbird712

Exactly the same problem...but at least I'm happy to see I'm not alone and it's not my PC.. How is it possible that a brand new installation does not work at all?  It seems that the working area is loading when hitting a new project, then it stop and nothing appears.  I guess the problem is on the VST instruments dll I have in my HD since I also use DAW programs!!  But why Premiere is loading files that are not relevant for this kind of software??

I have no solution, I need to choose a software for video editing and I thought this would be one of the best in this range...but if it does not work, I gonna remove it and try to install some other video editing sw from the competition....:-)

• 3. Re: Premiere Elements 8.0 stops loading after finding specific dll
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

I like to think there is no competition, bb. Just the right tool for each job.

• 4. Re: Premiere Elements 8.0 stops loading after finding specific dll
                blackbird712 Level 1

well..you're right, but if on the first instance the sw does not even load, I cannot have the pleasure of deciding if it's the tool for me...probably it is not so, because it cannot be installed side by side to my music sequencers...:-)

• 5. Re: Premiere Elements 8.0 stops loading after finding specific dll
                  miles.muso01 Level 1

Hi,

It seems that the way to do this is to temporarily rename my Audio .dll folder, for me this was the VST Plugins folder within Cubase. (BTW thanks for the advice, Steve - you mentioned renaming) and then when running PE, hold down <SHIFT> over the start-up screen (and keep it held during the new project selection and the initialisation screen) .  This clears the cache of it list of available dll.s and so it scans again, obviously not finding the re-named folder.  This list is now saved and will be untouched unless you run with <SHIFT> held down again.

After closing PE, it is safe to revert back to the original dll. folder name, and everything should run well after that.

However, I also agree that Premiere has no business poking around in my Audio Workstation files - why does it need these?