12 Replies Latest reply on Nov 5, 2009 10:33 AM by Aland Islands

New computer core I7 950

Aland Islands

Hi!

I am just going to config. a new computer for editing HD and AVCHD videos. I bought a new videocamera, a Canon Legria HF 200 recently, and it`s not possible to edit HD and AVCHD on my old computers. I am planning to run Win.7 64 bit and Prem.El.8+Photoshop El.8. Is there anyone that can tell me if this is a good config. for my purpose? I also have some qustions

about setting up my 4 Samsung Spinpoints. I have tried to read as much as possible but my english is not so good and I am just an computeramateur so there are som things I don`t understand. Sometimes people says "editing" and sometimes they say "rendering", is this the same? Then I don`t know if I should use Raid or singel disks. If Raid, Raid 0 on 2 disks or Raid 5 on all 4 disks,(not the ssd). For safe I will have an ext.disk for backup. Is this a good setup?

1 SSD:OS and programs.

1 Spinp.:Pagefile, scratch and rendering,(editing?).

1 Spinp.:Media.

1 Spinp.:Projects.

1 Spinp.: Final results.

1  CPU:Intel Core i7 950 3,06GHz
         2  Mem:OCZ Gold Triple Channel 6GB Kit 3x2GB DD =12 GB
         1  MOBO: ASUS P6T SE -ATX LGA     
         1  Desktop:Logitech Pro 2400 Cordless Desktop
         1  BenQ M2200HD 22" LCD
         4  HDD: Samsung Spinpoint F1 1TB SATA 3.0 G for ?

1  DVD combo:Samsung SH-S223B/BEBE DVDRW 22X Black
         1  Ext. HDD:Western Digital MyBook Essential 1TB USB for backup
         1  Power:Zalman ZM850-HP, 850W ATX

1  HDD:OCZ Agility 60GB 2.5" SSD SATA II  (for OS and progr).

1 Graf. Sapphire Radeon HD5850 1GB GDDR5

1 Chassi Cooler Master HAF 932 ATX

1 CPU cooler: Coolermaster Hyper 212 Plus ( for future OC)

Hope you understand my English.

From Åland Islands

• 1. Re: New computer core I7 950
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

That is a very powerful machine, and should work very well for editing video!

Your only challenge is that running Premiere Elements 8 on a 64-bit Window 7 operating system. Some people are having problems with it, probably related to 64-bit drivers. But, for the most part, this computer should serve you very well!

1 person found this helpful
          • 3. Re: New computer core I7 950
            Aland Islands Level 1

Hi!

Thankyou for your answere. What do you think about my disk-setup, singeldisks, raid 0 or raid 5? Do you think I should run Win 7,

32 bit insted of 64 bit?

Åland Island

• 4. Re: New computer core I7 950
              Kodebuster Level 3

I'm running Raid 0 across 2x500 gig for a total of 1 Terabyte.

The allure of Raid 0 is the stripping across 2 drives for a boost on read/write performance. Basically it allows you to split the data and access simultaniously for a bump in speed.

Keep in mind that this does nothing for recovery, if one drive fails, you will lose everything on both drives.

If I had to do it again, I think I would have keep the 2 drives descrete and separate, and gotten the benefit of 2 stand alone partitions.

Modern drives today have very, very high transfer rates, so the benefits of Raid 0 may not be all it's cracked up to be, in my opinion.

Regarding 32 or 64, go with 64, the performance boost and better memory management are worth their weight in gold.

As far as Win7 and PE8, in my opinion the jury is still out on this one...

1 person found this helpful
              • 5. Re: New computer core I7 950
                Aland Islands Level 1

Hi! Thankyou for your fast reply.

Å.A

• 6. Re: New computer core I7 950
                  Aland Islands Level 1

Thankyou for your quick reply. Wath do you think about my disk-setups? Singeldisks, Raid 0 on 2 disks or Raid 5?

Ål.Isl.

• 7. Re: New computer core I7 950
                    Kodebuster Level 3

I gave you my opinion on Raid 0 in my above post.

Regarding Raid 5, it is really a matter of personal preference. If you are good at doing regular backups of data, and at least one timely backup of a complete Drive Image, then Raid 5 might not be your cup of tea.

Here is some additional technical details on a Raid 5 configuration from Intel Tech Support:

(One key statement below is that Raid 5 performs better with small I/O files, (versus the large data files associated with video). ~~ And you'll need to tie up a minimum of 3 hard drives to accomplish this sense of data recovery and availability)...

RAID 5 (STRIPING WITH PARITY)
                    RAID level 5 combines three or more hard drives so that all data is divided into manageable blocks called strips. RAID 5 uses parity, which is a mathematical method for recreating lost data to a single drive, which increases fault tolerance. The data and parity are striped across the array members in a rotating sequence. Because of the parity striping, it is possible to rebuild the data after replacing a failed hard drive with a new drive. The extra work of calculating the missing data will degrade the write performance to the volumes while data is being rebuilt. RAID 5 performs better for smaller I/O functions than larger sequential files.

• Advantages: Full data redundancy; efficient; fault-tolerant and increased storage array performance.
                    • Disadvantage: Time consuming to rebuild and decreased performance during rebuilding.
                    • Applications: Good choice for file and application servers; Internet and Intranet servers.
                    • 8. Re: New computer core I7 950
                      Aland Islands Level 1

Thanks, now I know a lot more about Raid. Thanks again.

• 9. Re: New computer core I7 950
                        nealeh Level 5

Kodebuster wrote:

Regarding 32 or 64, go with 64, the performance boost and better memory management are worth their weight in gold.

More specifically, if you went for 32 bit, only around three gigabyte of your memory will be usable.

Cheers,
                        --
                        Neale
                        Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 10. Re: New computer core I7 950
                          Aland Islands Level 1

Thanks for your help, I think I will go for the 64 bit.

Here in the north it`s dark and snowy.

• 11. Re: New computer core I7 950
                            Kodebuster Level 3
                            More specifically, if you went for 32 bit, only around three gigabyte of your memory will be usable.

Actually, with regard to a 32-bit OS and the amount of memory utilized, it will depend on a few factors, one of them being your hardware choices.

For a general rule of thumb, the max memory recommendation on 32-bit would be 4 gig, not the often seen verbage on only 3 gig being utilized. (Which may lead us to believe that anything above 3 gig is a waste).

On a 32-bit OS with 4 gig, the memory allocation would typically break out as follows:

1 gig for the OS.

2 gig for applications

And here's the variable:

Hardware device choices, (Video cards for example) will map to specific areas of memory for I/O functions, which will take away from any existing memory available to the OS and applications. This can equate to a significant memory usage allocated to HW devices. (DMA also comes to mind (Direct Memory Access), these type of devices need a chunk of memory for this feature).

That being the case, a standard recommendation on the max memory to config for a 32-bit OS would be 4 gig...

• 12. Re: New computer core I7 950
                              Aland Islands Level 1

Thanks a lot for your advices, now I know a little bit more, never to old to

learn. Thanks again.

Ål.Isl.