2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 4, 2009 1:14 PM by Larry G. Schneider

Want to get rid of faux italic

DarcyES

I have several files from a client that I need to be edited. Somehow, the type has been skewed, in order to give a fake italic effect. There's even a section using an italic font that's been skewed back so that it looks roman.

I've looked and looked, and can't find how this effect was applied, or how to undo it.

While I could just rekey the type and reapply formatting, I'm worried about the next file, and the one after that. If I don't know what to look for, I don't know how to get rid of it. I've looked at the shear tool, but that just doesn't seem reasonable.

I've been looking through Adobe Help -- CS3 & CS4 -- for quite a while, with no success. I'm on a Mac, and the files may have been generated on a PC, if that makes any difference.

Any suggestions for getting rid of this formatting, or information on how it was applied.

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Want to get rid of faux italic
          Jacob Bugge MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Darcy,

I am afraid it has been made with a simple Object>Transform>Shear that you are stuck with.

You may use a reverse shear, but the safest way may be to retype, possibly on top of a reversed shear.

Unless Shear has been included in the Effects>Distort & Transform>Transform in the latest version(s), in which case Reduce to Basic Appearance in the Appearance panel (if it is still there/called that) may save you.

• 2. Re: Want to get rid of faux italic
            Larry G. Schneider Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Have you tried to cut and paste the text? I just tried a small test in AICS4 of shearing some text and then cutting it and pasting and it came out back as a vertical Roman font. You might have to include the spaces befor and after to make sure you have all the modified text.