5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 28, 2009 6:04 AM by ghijohansson

no playback on television

ghijohansson Level 1

I purchased laptop with WinXP and APE 3.0.2. After three years it crashed.  Service shop removed virus. I connected camcorder via firewire and turned on  first laptop and then camcorder. As usual the laptop after a moment asked me if  I wanted to use APE. But after I had started APE, I realized a disaster. APE no  longer has contact with the camcorder.

Yes, I have gone through that web  page which Adobe has created about playback problems with APE. Now only two  options remain. One is system restore, but if I have bad luck, this means the  virus will be back. The other remaining alternative is to uninstall and  reinstall APE.

I have the disc with APE, so in practice it should be  possible for me to reinstall. But I can see two problems.

The first is  that DVDs don't last for ever, and if a single file is missing, then the program  will not work. So what should I do? Take a copy of the folders where the program  is situated right now?

The other problem is registration. I registered  the program three years ago, so I guess it will not be possible to register once  again, even though I use the same computer.

No, don't tell me to buy the  newest version of APE, because the laptop is not enough powerful to handle  it.

Many thanks in advance
      Göran Johansson

• 1. Re: no playback on television
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

First try doing a repair/install. That means just putting the Premiere Elements installation disc in without uninstalling and then beginning and installation. The program will prompt you to launch a repair, which usually fixes things that are broken.

I wouldn't worry too much about your old installation disc getting corrupted with age. Pressed discs (like your installation discs) unlike home-burned discs, do last almost forever. Your changes of a file being missing are pretty much non-existent.

The more serious issue is your virus. There is no way to know how much damage that virus caused to your computer before it was removed. Many computer people recommend re-installing the operating system after a major virus attack.

I don't know if you'll need to do something that extreme. But there is the possibility that the damage the virus caused is what's keeping Premiere Elements from working.

Though, before you panic, try the reapir/install and see if that fixes it.

• 2. Re: no playback on television
            ghijohansson Level 1

I did as you told me, but there was no change. Not even after restarting the laptop.

So what do I do next? System restore??? Or what.

• 3. Re: no playback on television
              ghijohansson Level 1

My problem is now "solved". I mean "solved" rather than solved. One of the suggestions I found at Adobe's web site was to create a new user account with administrator rights. So one of my friends created such a new account for me. When I use the new administrator account, I have playback on a television receiver through firewire to a camcorder. Fine.

And strangely, the settings were changed also for my old account. So I can again edit in the old administrator account.

Is it safe for me to delete the new administrator account?

A big reason why I want to delete the new administrator account is the following. I tried to connect an external hard drive with two partions (one partion NTFS and the other partion FATS32). The laptop refused to start. Earlier this worked.

• 4. Re: no playback on television
                the_wine_snob Level 9

A big reason why I want to delete the new administrator account is the following. I tried to connect an external hard drive with two partions (one partion NTFS and the other partion FATS32). The laptop refused to start. Earlier this worked.

My guess is that this external HDD is USB. Is that correct? Many OS's (and all the way down to the BIOS in the MoBo) have difficulties booting, when a USB storage device is attached. This is especially true with flash-memory devices, but also mechanical HDD's. Even simple dongles can have this problem. The User Accounts should have nothing to do with this.

The trick is to boot up, and THEN attach and turn on your USB storage device. Windows should recognize it, and away you go.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: no playback on television
                  ghijohansson Level 1

Yes wine snob, all my four external Hard drives are USB. Which has earlier not been any problem. After the crash, I connected the problematical external hard drive, and the laptop refused to start. But after starting once in safe mode, it has again worked. Until I created that second user account.

Alright, the hard drive with two partions has also firewire, so I can try that instead, But I do find the situation strange.

About first booting up, and then connect the hard drive. There is a problem with that. The hard drive automatically recognizes that it is connected, even if the laptop is turned off. Which means that I have to wait plugging it in until after turning on the laptop.

And the question remains. Can I safely remove the new user account?