1 3 4 5 6 7 Previous Next 807 Replies Latest reply on Aug 13, 2015 6:54 AM by bistrophile Go to original post
      • 160. Re: Revive GoLive - Interested Parties Only
        Newbe11

I desperately and urgently need help, and the desperation and urgency shows that I am most definitely FOR the revival of Adobe GoLive.

Unlike almost everybody else here, I am quite ignorant in website development.  I don't know Dreamweaver and, frankly, have poor knowledge of GoLive.  Somebody created a website for me many years ago that I've managed (or rather did not manage preferring to do nothing) using an old version (10 years old and doesn't work even on XP)  of GoLive.  I then updated the operatign system and asked another person to buy and install the latst version of GoLive on my new computer.  (The old computer died.)  The person said he did it, and in fact he did install Adobe GoLive 9 on my Vista computer.  I used it a couple of times.  Now when I've tried to use it again, it turned out that the person did not complete the registration process and it worked in the beginning only because it always works free for 30 days.  I need to activate the software, but this requires a serial number.  I don't have it, and the person who did it for me is out of the country for several months.  (I believe he did buy the software, and I remember reimbursing him. He is an honest guy.)  Without the number, I am unable to activate and use the software.

I would buy another copy just to solve this problem, but it does not seem to be possible.  Adobe wouldn't sell me GoLive; they tell me to buy Dreamweaver which I don't know how to use and can't learn.  I tried Ebay that often sells cheap old software, but they don't have Adobe GoLive 9 and only seem to have versions 5 and earlier.

Can somebody help me?  I would greatly appreciate it.  GoLive 9 would be great, but if another version works on Vista (or even XP), that would be a solution too.  (There may or may not be a problem because I've worked on the website using version 9.)  I have version 9 already installed; only the serial number needed for activation is missing.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

asjgk  at yahoo dot com

• 161. Re: Revive GoLive - Interested Parties Only
          Level 5

Newbe11, you should take this topic to a new discussion topic of its own. It will likely be lost here in this lengthy discussion of a totally different topic.

• 162. Re: Revive GoLive - Interested Parties Only
            cmackey

That's one thing about Macs, I am still running CS2 along with CS4 in my new iMac with Snow Leopard without a hitch.In fact, I find that Golive runs better on Snow Leopard than it ever did before. It is much more stable.  Heck! I am  still using fonts I bought in 1990. It always amazes me.

How did you get CS2 to run on Snow Leopard? I just bought a new system, which came with Snow Leopard (was on Leopard previously), and the only CS2 app that worked was Acrobat 7. I have CS4, and will probably buy CS5 soon, but would love my Go Live sites to still be editable with Go Live!

• 163. Re: Revive GoLive - Interested Parties Only
              pachi1 Level 1

If you only need Golive, just do a regular install and it will show you that GL is the only application in the bundle that it will let you install. Otherwise, if you want all the applications in CS3 (I still use Imageready. It was simple.) you will have to de-install CS4, Install CS3, then re-install CS4. Hope this helps.

• 164. Re: Revive GoLive - Interested Parties Only
                cmackey Level 1

I have CS3, but my version didn't come with GoLive, or ImageReady, if I recall correctly. I had been using CS2 for those 2 apps, then CS4 for everything else. I have the Design Premium versions, if that makes a difference.

• 165. Re: Revive GoLive - Interested Parties Only
                  LRK 2 Level 2

Thankfully, GoLive CS2 still runs on Snow Leopard. I just had my MBP replaced by Apple and had to call up to reactivate GoLive CS2 since it was installed on the previous MBP and my older G5. Thanks to the powers that be, GoLive CS2 still works!!!

Based on what I've heard, it's best to use GoLive CS2 (vs.8) rather than the newer GoLive 9 that came out. GoLive 9 was a step down and not as good as version 8.

• 166. Re: Revive GoLive - Interested Parties Only
                    Ouzones Level 1

Yes! Revive it!

Unfortunately Dreamweaver CS5 still has a poor user interface which has always been the problem with it.

Golive (I use version 9) has many benefits for my purposes. Here is just a few of them.

1. Easy CSS editing

I don't like to edit my CSS files and definitions in source code if not absolutely necessary. It's SO MUCH easier to use the Golive user interface to edit them. For example pick a color from a color picker!

2. Excellent site management

Seeing both local and server files at the same time.

Automatic updates to links and CSS-files site-wide, when you move or rename a linked file.

3. Code Completition for multiple languages

I mostly use HTML/CSS/PHP and Golive offers completiton for my code immediately. In DW CS5 there is finally code completition for PHP, but you need to press ctrl-space to activate it - and that's just one example of DW's poor UI.

4. Save for web

Copy & Paste and image from Photoshop (or anywhere else) to Golive and you get what you expect - A regular Save for Web dialog.

5. Overall inconvenience of Dreamweaver

Golive might crash occasionally but it takes only half a minute to recover from that. With Dreamweaver the work process is repeatedly disrupted because you need to look for suitable features and/or try to Google solutions to whatever simple task you're doing.

Golive just has it. Easy and intuitive UI for beginners and advanced users - and the features to support it!

I know reviving Golive to compete with DW might be a bit too much to ask, but I would really like to see that.

At least some support and small updates to keep Golive compatible with the future releases of operating systems and Adobe CS products - until we find something else to save us from the Hellweaver.

• 167. Re: Revive GoLive - Interested Parties Only
                      roliver1969 Level 1

I'd love to see GoLive revived. There's not a snowball's chance in heck of that happening, but it would be great to see an updated, modern version. As much as I loved the interface and workflow of GL CS2, it was behind the times in numerous ways, and tended to crash on exit about 90% of the time.

I just made the switch to Dreamweaver CS5 and am continually shocked at the things Dreamweaver apparently doesn't do...or do very well. It amazes me that this was the program that "won" the visual web editor battle.

One great feature of GL is uploading modified files. In Dreamweaver the process seems to require clicking through more dialog boxes, and most importantly, it rarely ever figures out which files are new and need to be uploaded. Such a simple, basic feature that doesn't work that well in Dreamweaver.

I won't hijack the thread with a long list of GoLive features that are MIA in Dreamweaver, but there are many, many, many reasons why people would love to see GoLive rise from the dead.

• 168. Re: Revive GoLive - Interested Parties Only
                        kolstef12 Level 1

I was just laid off from UC Davis.  I have been a web designer for them for the last 6 years.  This is the usual process as I am hired by departments to come in to redesign their websites.  I have upset a few of the IT folks for sure, however, at one point I had a waiting list and it was ALL DUE TO GOLIVE an it's ability to allow a graphic artist to create.  I am hired to develop these sites, even though they are aware that GoLive is unavailable and their IT folks have to update and maintain the site in DW  That said, I WILL ALWAYS BE IN SUPPORT OF REVIVING GOLIVE.  Thanks for starting this post.

Also,  is anyone aware of a place that I could purchase a copy of GoLive 8 and 9?

Thank you !!!

• 169. Re: Revive GoLive - Interested Parties Only
                          LRK 2 Level 2

I appreciate all of you who have posted and continue to post in support of Reviving GoLive. Even if nothing can be done it's nice to hear from those of like mind who actually "get it". I am limited with my own time and ability to pursue any options on my own, but keep hoping that someone who can make a difference, and feels it is worth the effort (hopefully with Adobe), might be able and willing to take steps to redeem the program or at least incorporate it's powerful time saving features into DW or a future app.

Linda

• 170. Re: Revive GoLive - Interested Parties Only
                            LRK 2 Level 2

"Also, is anyone aware of a place that I could purchase a copy of GoLive 8 and 9?"

I'm not aware, but I would search eBay and Amazon.com on a regular basis to see if someone is selling their copy.

• 171. Re: Revive GoLive - Interested Parties Only
                              camelbreath Level 1

Yep, I'd love it

• 172. Re: Revive GoLive - Interested Parties Only
                                deadboy

OMG....GL was sooooo cool (DW is cool but not as clever in its UI as GL)

Bring it back! Or a least make GL layouts in DW

• 173. Yes Revive GoLive...
                                  edoggie

Why not make it Dreamweaver Elements and reprice it as $99.00 I'm sure people would love it then.  Keep all the great features though.

• 174. Re: Yes Revive GoLive...
                                    LRK 2 Level 2

MO?

• 175. Re: Revive GoLive - Interested Parties Only
                                      tropevp

Hello,

I have used GoLive since I was a student. Back then there was DW and GL. What was interesting to me back then was that the school didn't push either programs, they pushed HTML. I guess this is the crux of my message.

Yes, I really enjoyed GL but it's no longer going to be supported.  Finally switching to DWCS5, I can't say I love the program but I don't hate it. What I did realize from this thread (other than the personal insults) is that DW, now the "baby" of Adobe, is also available to be chopped off as long as Adobe can buy a contender so it can replace DW. If this is the business sense and model, for whatever reason, I go back to my frist sentence, that it serves me better to learn HTML -- and not worry about creating a site in GL, then in DW do this or that...

I think this is what I gleened while reading this thread. If the model is broken, then why support it at all? I know from reading this thread, Marian Driscoll, tried to "hammer" sense into everyone here by casting GL users (and then she included herself as one of them) as silly for living this dream and that we should move on to other products. Marian, by your own admission and observation, products get replaced. Even HTML got replaced with XHTML is now back with HTML5.

This volatile nature shows that "web" industry is still far from stable, as even HTML5 is not slated for completion. We as consumers of these editors must decide to either code by hand or code by wysiwyg and if wysiwyg we go, we should support  it.

Would I like to see GL come back? Sure, as others stated, I put my time and effort into learning it so it is beneficial to me to have it come back. Is it better not to rely on programs that come from owners who ultimately sell it and not support it if something better comes along? Now that, I have to think about (maybe not).

• 176. Re: Revive GoLive - Interested Parties Only
                                        trinitydigital2

Pray that Adobe either goes back to GoLive

or merges it's features w/ Dreamweaver.

GoLive CS works for me. Is CS2 any better?

• 178. Re: Revive GoLive - Interested Parties Only
                                          RSheasley

trinitydigital2 wrote:

Pray that Adobe either goes back to GoLive

or merges it's features w/ Dreamweaver.

GoLive CS works for me. Is CS2 any better?

Keep on praying, but I think Adobe has moved on with Dreamweaver and will not be incorporating any bits of the GoLive product.

As for the differences between CS and CS2. I managed to pick up a copy of CS2 and have been using it. Main enhancement is the better support for CSS styles and templates. CS was very limited in the CSS area, CS2 is better if you are a heavy CSS template or style creator. Many other tools out there will handle CSS stuff also.

• 179. Re: Revive GoLive - Interested Parties Only
                                            kolstef12 Level 1

Hi there,

Does CS2 have GoLive?  Can you tell me where you found it.  I need another copy of GoLive.  Thank you, Rosanne

• 180. Re: Revive GoLive - Interested Parties Only
                                              RSheasley Level 1

kolstef12 wrote:

Hi there,

Does CS2 have GoLive?  Can you tell me where you found it.  I need another copy of GoLive.  Thank you, Rosanne

The GoLive I picked up was off EBay. You can look for the Upgrade (which requires previous version to install) or the full product. It is no longer available from any Adobe source. GoLive was part of suite bundles at one time- CS2 Premium contained it but I never purchase the Premium suite of Photoshop, Illustrator etc. just the application I need. GoLive CS2 was the last boxed retail version that Adobe sold of GoLive. They had a GoLive 9.0 which may or may not have had the CS3 designation to it as was only available through Open Licensing and never sold in a retail box. Premium CS3 suite moved to Dreamweaver as the html web design package in the suite.

GoLive 6 was the last with the number in the title. Then they had CS- which was 7.0x version, CS2 which was 8.0 and then either 9.0 or CS3- I suspect it was version the last license version.

Be careful with purchasing GoLive CS2 0 it uses the activation and tracking how many PC's it is installed on and if you purchase used then you may run into issues getting it licensed if it had been on the seller's PC and not uninstalled and deactivated. Some of the auctions will mention new un-opened or nver installed, etc.

http://www.adobe.com/products/golive/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adobe_GoLive

There are plenty of web sites with info and tutorials on GoLive including some that discuss moving from GoLive to Dreamweaver CS3 (which any GoLive owner can get Dreamweaver for the upgrade pricing offered by Adobe.

http://www.futurastudios.com/golive911/

• 181. Re: Revive GoLive - Interested Parties Only
                                                seadesign

I agree... I have used Dreamweaver (very briefly) and also agree that in some ways it may be better. But GoLive does everything I have ever asked of it and does it well. I'd be happy to continue upgrading for it as a stand-alone. My site does not require more than I can get out of GoLive and I am too busy to want to start over with a new programme.

• 182. Re: Revive GoLive - Interested Parties Only
                                                  IdRatherBeInOregon

I've been creating websites since the days before most people knew what the internet was. This is PRE-wysiwyg apps, when html was produced using simple text editors. Point being, I've been familiar with, and have used, most of the (Mac-based) web development apps out there. The one I was always the most comfortable with was GoLive, which I first purchased when it was still a Cyberstudio product.

When DW hit the streets, I bought it too, but always went back to GL. And now I am suffering through DW CS5. For all the years and experience I have with these applications, I find myself constantly hitting the Adobe "help" button when working with DW. GL (to me) was just a more logical, simpler, cleaner program. Ah well...

As for a DW/GL hybrid? I don't see it happening and would probably be afraid of it if it did.  Guess I miss the good ol' days when you could produce a web page without searching through countless toolbars, buttons and help files. I still have my CS2 GoLive which I lovingly refer to now and then when I want to make a simple change and can do so without the wasted time and frustration the DW tends to inflict on me.

• 183. Re: Revive GoLive - Interested Parties Only
                                                    pedjazz53

I got this forum kind of late but I want let you know that I still using Golive CS for my personal site.  I like better few things than Dreamweaver. I thought that I needed to learn more about dreamwever when I started, but then I realize that Golive makes my live much more easier that Dreamweaver to get the same result in terms of control and website management. So people “keep Golive Alive”.

• 186. Re: Revive GoLive - Interested Parties Only
                                                      LRK 2 Level 2

It's nice to see more responses. And I'm grateful I still have my old copy of GoLive CS2, and that it still works with Snow Leopard on the Mac. But we all know that no matter what a great tool GL was for managing and building websites, it has met it's demise.

I have slowly begun rebuilding my client sites in Dreamweaver. I find that it definitely is more time consuming to accomplish the same tasks in DW as in GL, but it is what it is. It takes a different mindset to work in DW. I am learning to adapt to that mindset. The main thing today is that we learn to build sites that are compliant with current web standards.

• 187. Re: Revive GoLive - Interested Parties Only
                                                        zukigrl18

My vote would be a big YES, I would really like to see Adobe Revive GoLive. I tryed DreamWeaver when it first came out, and that was only because I "had" to at that time. After I was done shuffling stuff around, I rebuilt the sites in GoLive, and until the last couple days I have had no problem with GoLive.

I don't want to use DreamWeaver, or any other program out on the shevles for editing my sites. I want to use GoLive.

Yes I know most likely this is a waste of time stating my little opion. (But you never know, I can keep wishing)

Thanks for starting this thread, if anything, I get to see I'm not alone in wanting to see GoLive brought back to Life.

• 188. Re: Revive GoLive - Interested Parties Only
                                                          Nini Tjader Level 4

That will never happen as Adobe has DreamWeaver nowadays.

• 189. Re: Revive GoLive - Interested Parties Only
                                                            cindabaxter

YES to a resurrected GoLive.

NO to Marian Driscoll (who apparently needs to see her name in someone else’s thread a bazillion times....sheeeeeeeeesh).

Thanks to the OP for starting this thread. Rarely is something worthwhile accomplished without first beginning in engaged, enthusiastic conversation. Kudos to Linda for giving it a shot (regardless of which way this plays out). Can’t hurt, right?

• 190. Re: Revive GoLive - Interested Parties Only
                                                              Nini Tjader Level 4

GoLive will never be resurrected no matter how much some of us would like that. It has been discontinued. The developers are scatter into other projects. GoLive as it were is not up to todays web-techniques even though it still (at least in CS2) has features that DreamWeaver still don't have (like very good sitemanagement). We will all have to move on to other applications, be it DreamWeaver (which is also Adobe owned) or something else. GoLive will never be resurrected.

As for Marian, she is a valualbe contributor on the forums who answers user questions freely, knowledgable and well. Would you rather be without answers? I for one value her contributions.

It is futile to continue this mission. It is better to use your time to learn new methods.

• 191. Re: Revive GoLive - Interested Parties Only
                                                                Basil - S Level 1

Yep, Golive is gone, and new methods we shall have to learn!  Just one

question. Which application comes nearest to the power of GoLive right

now?  As far as site management and similarities are concerned.  Is

there anything out there that comes close?  Apart from Dreamweaver of

course

Many Thanks

Basil

• 192. Re: Revive GoLive - Interested Parties Only
                                                                  Level 5

For site management, you should be looking at a content management system like Joomla/Wordpress/Drupal. They are free and can be used with GoLive or any web design tool. Most useful web sites these days run on content management systems. You're on one now.

• 193. Re: Revive GoLive - Interested Parties Only
                                                                    LRK 2 Level 2

Cinda,

Thank you for your nice thoughts and comments. It was a great program while it lasted, and still is the more efficient choice for site management. I would say DW, even though different from GL, is probably the closest program to GoLive.

I think CMS might be starting to lose it's appeal to some clients. I know of a client who paid a large sum to have his site completely redone in CMS by a large firm, but came back to me a couple of time to create custom HTML pages for special projects last year.

CMS often has it's own issues. It's far from perfect.

Anyway, I wish you all the best and much success with your web related businesses in 2011!

• 194. Re: Revive GoLive - Interested Parties Only
                                                                      Level 5

LRK 2 wrote:

...I think CMS might be starting to lose it's appeal to some clients. I know of a client who paid a large sum to have his site completely redone in CMS by a large firm, but came back to me a couple of time to create custom HTML pages for special projects last year.

CMS often has it's own issues. It's far from perfect.

A CMS is a framework to build upon. It should not have been a restriction. Apparently there was a poor choice in CMS or contracted firm as it should not have been difficult to create a custom page for a CMS. It all depends on the market you serve. I have not had a client need a static HTML page in 10 years.

The joy of CMS is that you can give your clients the ability to update their content instead of bugging you for minor changes that distract you from more profitable work. You can still bill the client a surcharge for CMS hosting and applying periodic system/security updates (that's extra $$$ even if they do not update their site). You can also bill the client if they come to you with the need for custom HTML pages. It is quite a good lock-in for you and still a valuable service to the client.

I would not be surprised if the large firm simply priced themselves out of their client's reach for further substantial updates to their CMS. That happens.

• 195. Re: Revive GoLive - Interested Parties Only
                                                                        VL Branko Level 2

I have used GL from ver 4 to CS2. In the beginning I tried out both GL and DW. I decided on GL because I could do with it in 15 minutes what took me 90 minutes in DW.

Like all of you I was not thrilled with the demise of GL.

I was not at all happy with DW CS3 when I first attemped to migrate sites from GL2DW. So I put it off. DW CS4 came and went. Now with DW CS5 I am finally making the change because there is no real choice.

One thing I notice is that with each new iteration of DW they are adding things that used to be in GoLive (but not fast enough for my taste). In DW CS3 there were no Smart Object, but in DW CS 5 there are.

Still not very happy with Spry in DW CS5, to much hand coding required. I just spent the better of 5-6 days trying to figure to apply a Spry Effect, it is definitely not "point and shoot" but requires coding. And, to make matters worse the Adobe documentation was confusing and not straightforward. It was like it had been translated from Korean or something.  I prefer the design approach, let me focus on the look of the site rather than the look of the code. Not that I am against clean code, but they should be able to get the widgets, behaviours, menus etc to work without coding. MenuMachine on GL was easy to use and you could do a lot more with it than just make menus.

Anyway, there seems to be a light at the end of the tunnel and that DW will gradually get the functionality and ease of use for design that GL had. How long that will take I don't know because Adobe is basically a monopoy when it comes to web editors.

Having said that are there any other web design tools out there? You mentioned CMS like Joomla, Drupal, Wordpress etc (these three are now supported by DW CS5) but these CMS's and others like them are not very easy to design in visually. Hopefully DW will make it less challenging but have not tried it on a CMS yet.

Are there any programs out there for designing websites besides DW that others have used?

Here is a comparison of HTML editors from wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_HTML_editors

• 196. Re: Revive GoLive - Interested Parties Only
                                                                          DustinWright

I'm not sure if anyone is aware of this, but in Windows 7 (not the home editions) there is a feature called "Windows XP Mode" where you can run legacy apps like GoLive and they work just fine.  That's what I do and I'm perfectly happy with it.

I have all my training material for this edition of GoLive and I'm not changing until there is a compelling reason to do so and new versions of Windows are not it thanks to Microsoft.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/download.aspx

• 197. Re: Revive GoLive - Interested Parties Only
                                                                            Level 5

VL Branko wrote:

...Are there any programs out there for designing websites besides DW that others have used?...

What is your thought on Fireworks?

As much as Adobe may try to simplify an upgrade path from GoLive directly to Dreamweaver, the Macromedia web designer would build the design/prototype in Fireworks and then move to Dreamweaver. Those that struggle with design in DW are often ignoring FW. The reason why we think DW is missing easy design tools is because they are already present in FW.

Web design is complex. Sites typically require a web designer and a web developer. While some of us might wear both hats, the Macromedia software concept has kept these two disciplines divided between these two apps.

I'm no longer curious as to what features will move from GoLive to Dreamweaver. The next app that might die is Fireworks. It clearly has overlap with Photoshop, and Dreamweaver is gradually picking up more design capabilities.

• 198. Re: Revive GoLive - Interested Parties Only
                                                                              lorac-d

I'm not sure if anyone is aware of this, but in Windows 7 (not the home

editions) there is a feature called "Windows XP Mode" where you can run

legacy apps like GoLive and they work just fine. That's what I do and I'm

perfectly happy with it.

I wonder if XP Mode will run Acrobat 6? Not ready to buy the new version of

Acrobat and Windows 7 will not run version 6.

Carol

• 199. Re: Revive GoLive - Interested Parties Only
                                                                                VL Branko Level 2

I would design everything in PhotoShop then use ImageReady to make it suitable for the web--slicing and dicing and compression(-:

Since PhotoShop is now capable of image compression and other things why even use FireWorks? I have never had to use it yet.

So getting back to the question any other viable web design HTML editors out there that could compete with DW?

What about MS "Expression" whcih replaces "FrontPage?"

http://expression.microsoft.com/hi-in/cc136529%28en-us%29.aspx

Of course it only runs on Windows and I switch to Mac. Nor am I too keen on MS products in general but am not fanatically anti MS.

1 3 4 5 6 7 Previous Next