11 Replies Latest reply on Nov 5, 2009 8:57 AM by Harm Millaard

Core I7 950

Aland Islands

Hi!

I am just going to config. a new computer for editing HD and AVCHD videos. I bought a new videocamera, a Canon Legria HF 200 recently, and it`s not possible to edit HD and AVCHD on my old computers. I am planning to run Win.7 64 bit and Prem.El.8+Photoshop El.8. Is there anyone that can tell me if this is a good config. for my purpose? I also have some qustions

about setting up my 4 Samsung Spinpoints. I have tried to read as much as possible but my english is not so good and I am just an computeramateur so there are som things I don`t understand. Sometimes people says "editing" and sometimes they say "rendering", is this the same? Then I don`t know if I should use Raid or singel disks. If Raid, Raid 0 on 2 disks or Raid 5 on all 4 disks,(not the ssd). For safe I will have an ext.disk for backup. Is this a good setup?

1 SSD:OS and programs.

1 Spinp.:Pagefile, scratch and rendering,(editing?).

1 Spinp.:Media.

1 Spinp.:Projects.

1 Spinp.: Final results.

1  CPU:Intel Core i7 950 3,06GHz
         2  Mem:OCZ Gold Triple Channel 6GB Kit 3x2GB DD =12 GB
         1  MOBO: ASUS P6T SE -ATX LGA     
         1  Desktop:Logitech Pro 2400 Cordless Desktop
         1  BenQ M2200HD 22" LCD
         4  HDD: Samsung Spinpoint F1 1TB SATA 3.0 G for ?

1  DVD combo:Samsung SH-S223B/BEBE DVDRW 22X Black
         1  Ext. HDD:Western Digital MyBook Essential 1TB USB for backup
         1  Power:Zalman ZM850-HP, 850W ATX

1  HDD:OCZ Agility 60GB 2.5" SSD SATA II  (for OS and progr).

1 Graf. Sapphire Radeon HD5850 1GB GDDR5

1 Chassi Cooler Master HAF 932 ATX

1 CPU cooler: Coolermaster Hyper 212 Plus ( for future OC)

Hope you understand my English.

From Åland Islands

• 1. Re: Core I7 950
          Jim_Simon Level 9
          tell me if this is a good config. for my purpose?

It should be quite fine.

Sometimes people says "editing" and sometimes they say "rendering", is this the same?

No.  "Editing" is the process of putting together a new sequence from various media components - video, audio, graphics, titles, etc.

"Rendering" is the process of actually creating a new media file on the hard drive so that playback within the editing program goes smoothly.  Scratch disks are partially for rendered files.  Most times, however, you may not even need to render.

"Export" is the process of creating a new media file for use outside the editing program, such as on DVD.  This one is sometimes confused with Rendering, as it involves somewhat the same process.  But technically, rendering is creating internal previews, export is creating an external file.

1 SSD:OS and programs.

1 Spinp.:Pagefile, scratch and rendering,(editing?).

1 Spinp.:Media.

1 Spinp.:Projects.

1 Spinp.: Final results.

That's a very nice arrangement, no need for a RAID unless you're working with Uncompressed HD.

• 2. Re: Core I7 950
            Aland Islands Level 1

ThankYou for your helpfull and fast answere, now I know a lot more.

Å.I

• 3. Re: Core I7 950
              Harm Millaard Level 7

I agree with Jim, this setup is very nice. Only two remarks. The Samsung F1's have been succeeded by the F3 series at around the same price. The second remark is about your choice of OCZ Gold. Also have a look at the OCZ Platinum line, because it may offer lower CAS latencies at around the same price. The performance difference will not be major, but every tiny bit helps.

PS. Consider exchanging the external for an eSATA version or at least a firewire one instead of a USB version. Much faster.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Core I7 950
                Harm Millaard Level 7

Stupid me.

I completely forgot the most important thing: Do not get the i7-950. A waste of money. Instead get an i7-920 which will save you $$$ and is easily overclocked beyond what the 950 delivers.

• 5. Re: Core I7 950
                  Aland Islands Level 1

ThankYou Harm for your good advices. I will take a look at OCZ Platinum and

the Samsung F3 if i can find them here on The Åland Islands or in

Finland,and probably change from core I7 950 to I7 920. Thanks again.

Ål.Isl.

• 6. Re: Core I7 950
                    Harm Millaard Level 7

Something went wrong with the forum software I guess. This should not have been posted here. Excuses.

1 person found this helpful
                    • 8. Re: Core I7 950
                      Aland Islands Level 1

Good morning Harm. These two last messages I didn`t quite understand, I am

not so familiar with procedures in these forums.I clickt both "correct" and

"helpful", then I noticed the remark about ev.something wrong with the

software. Sorry!

• 9. Re: Core I7 950
                        Harm Millaard Level 7

I posted in another thread, but mysteriously that post also showed up here, so I deleted it here.

Whenever you start a thread, you can rate 1 answer to your question as correct and 2 answers as helpful. By rating the answers as either correct or helpful, you award points to the respondent, 10 for correct and 5 for helpful. Rumor has it that eventually a couple of people with the most points will be invited to Adobe's cafetaria for a free lunch and be given the opportuniy to express their thoughts about what Adobe missed, messed up or should improve in their software. Even though hotel and travel expenses are not covered in the invitation, you know Adobe, it is a chance to not let by.

• 10. Re: Core I7 950
                          Aland Islands Level 1

Thanks for the message. Now I know a little more about the forums.I will try

to follow your advices. I have made some changes as follows:

Core I7 950 changed to Core I7 920

2 OCZ gold 8 8 8-24 (6 GB)=12 GB changed to 2Conair 7 7 7-20  3x240 DIMM

PC 3-12800 1600 Mz(6 GB)=12 GB. (No platinum available.)

4 Samsung Spinpoint F1 1TB changed to 4 Samsung F3 1TB

WD Mybook 1TB changed to Verbatim eSATA 1 TB.

Sum: about 160 € cheaper.

Do you think it`s OK?

Ål.Isl.

• 11. Re: Core I7 950
                            Harm Millaard Level 7

Looks great!

When you have the system and need help with setting it up correctly, let us know. It really is not difficult, but often it is nice to have a second opinion or a critical view.