3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 4, 2009 2:35 PM by Kodebuster

How long movies can Premiere Elements handle?

kjetiltofte Level 1

I made a movie about an hour long, including about seven audio tracks, using movie maker. The program could not handle this file when I tried to put it on DVD. Then I just bought Premiere Elements for the task. I have now made 15 minutes of the movie, including 3 mp3 audio tracks. The program freezes. How big file does the program normally handle. My computer is a brand new Acer 7735.

Is it possible to make about four movies and put them together on the DVD? They can appear as different scenes maybe. It would be easier and less risky.

Thanks for any help.

• 1. Re: How long movies can Premiere Elements handle?
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

How long your project can be depends on what you're using for source video, how much power and RAM your computer has and how much free space is on your hard drive.

I've no idea what the specs are for an Acer 7735 are. But, if you're using video that requires a lot of rendering (You'll know because there will be a red line above your clips on the timeline) and you're not rendering them as you work, it's going to eventually choke and crash. To render, press Enter and the program will create video files for your non-DV footage, the red line will turn green and your computer will run much more efficiently.

What kind of camcorder is your video coming from and how are you getting it into your computer?

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: How long movies can Premiere Elements handle?
            kjetiltofte Level 1

Thanks a lot for a useful answer. I will have to remeber rendering.

The specs should be alright and there is plenty of free space and ram.

I'm using a Sony DCR-DVD403E cam and are using the sony included software for storing the files on my computer.

• 3. Re: How long movies can Premiere Elements handle?
              Kodebuster Level 3

If your using the Sony software to download to your PC, then the format is Mpeg.

That being the case, I would recommend that you convert this into DV-AVI prior to import into PE.

This will greatly reduce the stress on your PC and eliminate the need to render.

Use this link from FAQ's for convert options to DV-AVI:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/415317?tstart=0

Conversion to DV-AVI will make for hassle free editing...