• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Mapping problems with bulleted lists

New Here ,
Nov 04, 2009 Nov 04, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At the moment I'm testing the TS 2 Suite.

When I import FrameMaker Files, than the mapping does not really apply my styles.

I won't map the number list, that is not working well, RoboHelp cannot manage this really.

I map only bulleted list and the conversion does not work very well, e.g. In one Bullet list it is converted into <ol> </ol>, wheras another ist converted into <ul> </ul>.

Addtionally, when I apply my own css, then the list items are not correct, e.g. all list-style: square are diplayed in list-style: disc.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Michael

I think your post would be better as a new thread and in the FrameMaker Integration category within RoboHelp.

I amended the title and hope that is OK. Let me know if you would prefer something else.

Hopefully someone with FM to RH knowledge can help you here.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

Follow me @petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How are you doing the mapping? Maybe you can provide a screen shot (use the little camera icon in your reply) of where you're setting this. When it comes to CSS magic - Willam's your man. Search for bullet lists on the forum and you'll probably find his posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 05, 2009 Nov 05, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear all,

today, the mapping into unordered list is working, but the problem with the wrong list-style still persists.

Attached you will find three screenshots, showing the mapping settings and the list settings.

For your information, I wrote a css not with RoboHelp.

When I choose in RoboHelp the square list item, it is shown correct.

Here is the excerpt of my css:

P.Bullet

{
    list-style: square;
}
LI.P-Bullet {
    list-style: square;
    line-height: 12pt;
}

Additionally, here is the excerpt of the html created by RoboHelp after the import:

<p class="Body">Body</p>
<ul style="">
  <li style="">
  <p class="Bullet">Bullet</p>
</li>
  <li style="">
</li>
  <li style="">
  <p class="Bullet1">Bullet 1</p>
</li>
  <li style="">
</li>
</ul>
<p class="Body">Body</p>
<ul style="">
  <li style="">
</li>
</ul>

What is wrong in my way?

Thanks for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

You cannot set the bullet style in the paragraph. You have to set it in the list, as you did in LI.P-Bullet.

Your lists items (li) nor your list (ul) have any styling applied, so the browser will use the standard, which are bullets.

I don't use FM, so I can't help with the import, but you have to let Robo apply a list item style  to your lists, they should have the following HTML code:

<p class="Body">Body</p>
<ul style="">
  <li class="P-Bullet">
</li>
  <li class="P-Bullet">
</li>
  <li class="P-Bullet">
</li>
  <li class="P-Bullet">
</li>
</ul>

Greet,

Willam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Willam, you are right.

I'm not willing to do this manually, I expect it during the import from FrameMaker to RoboHelp as it was in RoboHelp 7.

But there you can't use it very well, because yu have then other problems as you can see in the new example.

But, this is a differnt story.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think your fix may be a modified fmstyles.css that you use when you

bring in the FM file

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 17, 2009 Nov 17, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Jeff,

I managed it. I had to adapt the RoboHelp styles.

This topic is useful to map the styles:

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/RoboHelp/8.0/RoboHTML/WSAD1DEC3B-29B4-4a28-ADE1-1B2329ACBA80.html#WS4A02...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 25, 2009 Nov 25, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Solved, but I cannot mark it as answered.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 02, 2010 Feb 02, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am going to ask a question here because I am having bullet problems as well, somewhat related to this discussion. I've imported FrameMaker 8.0p277 files into RoboHelp 7.03.001 (File > Import > FrameMaker Document, not Add FrameMaker File/too many crashes) to create HTML (.chm) Help. Things work pretty smoothly except that some topics including bullet lists are being converted correctly and some are not. I've defined top-level bullet as a square bullet; some are regular disc bullets, however.

In RoboHelp

I cannot see any difference in the RoboHelp HTML. For topic 1:

<ul><li class=p-Bullet><p class=Bullet>Item 1</p></li>
    <li class=p-Bullet><p class=Bullet>Item2</p></li>
    <li class=p-Bullet><p class=Bullet>Last item</p></li>
</ul>

For topic 2:

<ul><li class=p-Bullet><p class=Bullet>Item1</p></li>
    <li class=p-Bullet><p class=Bullet>Item 2</p></li>
    <li class=p-Bullet><p class=Bullet>Last item</p></li>
</ul>

In Compiled Help

However, in the compiled Help, the code for topic 1 is:

<ul>
  <li>

<p class="Bullet">Item1</p>
</li>

For topic 2:

<ul><li class=p-Bullet><p class=Bullet>Item1</p></li>

Can you think of anything I might do to force RoboHelp to properly convert all bulleted lists? I have selected the entire bullet list for topic 1 and applied Normal style, then re-applied my Bullet style (which includes the square bullet). Any suggestions are welcome.

Thx.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 03, 2010 Feb 03, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I can't think of a reason that some lists are mutilated on export... While you're searching for a solution, the following might ease your pain for now. This javascript will dynamically change your lists:

This works for regular browsers:

window.onload = function Lists    ()
{
    var Lists = document.getElementsByTagName("li");
    for(var i in Lists)
    {
        if(
Lists.firstChild.getAttribute("class") == "Bullet")

Lists.setAttribute("class", "p-Bullet");
    }
}

For IE:

window.onload = function Lists    ()
{
    var Para = document.getElementsByTagName("p");
    for(var i in Para)
    {
        if(Para.className == "Bullet")
            Para.parentNode.className = "p-Bullet";
    }
}

This script will go trough all your lists and check the paragraph class. If the class is "Bullet", it will apply the correct style ("p-Bullet") to the lists. Just put the script in a javascript file and add the script in the <head> section of your topics.

Greet,

Willam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 03, 2010 Feb 03, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks very much for the scripts, William. I'll definitely keep them for future use.

For now, I have discovered that the topics that do not compile correctly are bullet lists following immediately by the Help project footer (go figure). If one or more body-style paragraphs lie between the bullet list and the footer, the bullets compile correctly. (Amazing! How dumb is that?!) So, my simple fix is to add a blank line at the bottom of the problem lists.

Thx again,

--Gloria Mc

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 05, 2010 Feb 05, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That's quite amazing. Thanks for sharing your knowlegdge.

Greet,

Willam

This e-mail is personal. For our full disclaimer, please visit www.centric.eu/disclaimer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp