12 Replies Latest reply on Feb 11, 2014 3:08 PM by OV1Aviator

Premiere Elements 8 Project Settings

www.beca.org Level 1

Using Premiere Elements 8 (trial edition), what are the correct project settings to work on mp4 files?

My clips won't preview (appear black with audio) and in the monitor panel the clips are washed out with color.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Howard

Please refer to attached screenshot.

• 1. Re: Premiere Elements 8 Project Settings
          A.T. Romano Level 7

From your Timeline, it looks like the Timeline content is from a  VIDO Flip camera whose video are notoriously difficult to work with in Premiere Elements. Check out Steve Grisetti's FAQ on the subject. I suspect that file conversion to DV AVI with Prism software (as per the FAQ) is going to be your answer.

But, confirm the brand and model of the camera whose video is being used on the Timeline. I think that we went through this issue in a recent thread here. I will look it up and tack the link on after I post this reply.

Also, go to Edit Menu/Preferences/General and uncheck "Enable GPU Playback" and see if that makes any difference to what you are seeing in the Edit Mode Monitor. I suspect not, but it is worth the try.

ATR

• 2. Re: Premiere Elements 8 Project Settings
            A.T. Romano Level 7

I was thinking VADO camera, but it sure looks like VIDO in your screenshot.

Nonetheless, here are the links just in case you are using the one of the VADO cameras

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/437535?tstart=0

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/498547?tstart=90

More questions later, depending on your response.

ATR

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Premiere Elements 8 Project Settings
              www.beca.org Level 1

Hello, A.T.

Indeed, it is video from a Flip camera.

Inside the camera appears the following: Flip UltraHD (2nd Generation); Model U21208.

Disabling GNU Playback did not seem to make any difference.

Any idea on project settings? I'm really not sure which of the many selections is most suitable.

Howard

• 4. Re: Premiere Elements 8 Project Settings
                A.T. Romano Level 7

From your details, you have a Flip Ultra HD camera.....

It would appear that your video is 1280 x 720 (16:9) with H.264 compression and (from your screenshot) a file extension of .MPEG4.

From the history on these flip cameras and editing of their videos in Premiere Elements (even versions earlier than 8), file conversion is probably going to be your answer.

Prism will do the job to convert your video (1280 x 720 16:9) to DV AVI, but the DV AVI will be 720 x 480 (4:3) since Prism does not do DV AVI 720 x 480 with the 16:9 flag for widescreen. But, try it anyway to see if it makes your video quality acceptable. You would save the DV AVI from Prism and bring it into Premiere Elements 8 Get Media/Files & Folders, using the Premiere Elements project preset (new project dialog) = NTSC DV Standard or Widescreen or the PAL counterpart, depending on your location. For Prism settings, see the Steve Grisetti FAQ.

The reason that conversion to DV AVI is promoted is because DV AVI is the native format of the Premiere Elements Timeline. But....

You could also try what I described to Corey in his thread (response #24)...this should convert your original into a .wmv instead of DV AVI. This .wmv would be 1280 x 720 16:9. You would bring the .wmv into Premiere Elements 8 Get Media/Files & Folders, using the Premiere Elements project preset (new project dialog) = NTSC HDV HDV 720p30 or its PAL counterpart, depending on your location. See Corey's thread, post #24, for all the details.

See how you do. We can fine tune any glitches along the way if necessary.

Any questions, just ask.

ATR

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Premiere Elements 8 Project Settings
                  www.beca.org Level 1

A.T.,

The good news is that the previews are now showing and the monitor panel is clear -- without file conversion. The bad news is that I'm not exactly sure how I resolved the problem.

I played and played (and then played some more) with the settings.

I attach screenshots for those that may be curious.

Thanks for your assistance.

Howard

Founder

BECA.org Foundation, Inc.

www.beca.org

• 6. Re: Premiere Elements 8 Project Settings
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Thanks for the screenshots. I checked each out, and they are consistent with the default settings that go along with the Premiere Elements 8 project preset (new project dialog) = NTSC HDV HDV 720p and the associated Edit Menu/Project Settings. What do the Playback Settings dialog settings look like?. I suspect that is one of the major areas for impact on the issue that you may have experimented with. How did you leave Edit Menu/Preference/General "Enable GPU Playback", checked or unchecked?

Whatever the case, you hung in there and got the job done successfully. Good job.

ATR

• 7. Re: Premiere Elements 8 Project Settings
                      www.beca.org Level 1

A.T.,

I attach the following screenshots, for your information on the playback settings.

Indeed, I unchecked the "Enable GNU playback."

Thanks again for your prompt assistance.

Walter

www.beca.org

• 8. Re: Premiere Elements 8 Project Settings
                        OV1Aviator
                        Problem Solved - This is an old thread, but I just started using Adobe Premiere for video editing and had the same problem - black screen but good audio. I have Windows 8.1 on a 64-bit Dell XPS 8700. After spending many hours, over several days,  researching this problem, I came across the answer in another forum somewhere - I can't remember which one, but it may have been Steve Grisetti's FAQ on the subject. I downloaded the K-Lite Mega Pack for free from the internet. It has to be the Mega Pack. At first, I downloaded just the standard K-Lite but that didn't solve my problem. After downloading the Mega Pack, I rebooted my PC, started Premiere Elements, and added a VADO HD .avi file. It showed up this time as a regular video, not just an audio file with a black screen.  

This is the link I use for K-Lite Codec Mega Pack - http://www.free-codecs.com/download/k_lite_Mega_Codec_Pack.htm.

• 9. Re: Premiere Elements 8 Project Settings
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

OV1Aviator

You have posted the same message today (2014) at the end of another old (2009) thread on a similar topic.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/464891?tstart=0

Please be sure to read today's John T. Smith post on cautions with the use of Klite pack.

Again, I would ask what program are you using, Premiere Elements 8, some other version of Premiere Elements, or some version of Premiere Pro?

ATR

• 10. Re: Premiere Elements 8 Project Settings
                            OV1Aviator Level 1

ATR, I didn't think that was a problem. If so, I apologize. It does show that I did some research trying to find a solution. I've already replied to your other email. Again, thanks for the warnings about K-Lite.

I'm impressed you're still monitoring these old threads.

• 11. Re: Premiere Elements 8 Project Settings
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

OV1Aviator

Thanks for the reply.

Any post in a old or new thread brings the thread to the list of current day's posted threads. We try to respond to all.

There was no problem in posting. It was just that we needed perspective version wise and otherwise. The VADO camera of 2009 might be different than that of 2014. And, currently a utility might come with the camera to supply any necessary codecs.

John raised the point about the cautions related to K-Lite pack.

Looking forward to learning of your progress with your Premiere Elements 12 projects when you get the time.

Best wishes.

ATR

• 12. Re: Premiere Elements 8 Project Settings
                                OV1Aviator Level 1

ATR,

I also use the camera when I'm flying since it's small and easy to use, but I think it's time to give it to my granddaughter, she's 7. I'm trying to decide now between a Sony or Canon camcorder or a GoPro 3+ Black.

Thanks for you responses.