• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Captivate 4 - not exporting publishing avi.

New Here ,
Nov 04, 2009 Nov 04, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My goal was to record what I was doing on screen. Then create an avi file out of it. When I published, there was no output file.

STEPS I TOOK:

1. Opened Captivate 4, and chose "Software Simulation".

2. I set it to record full screen on my single monitor. I then set to full motion recording.

3. I started recording for about 30sec, and stopped. The recording showed up as a bunch of slides in Captivate.

4. I went to the publish menu to the media section.

5. I set to publish as AVI, entered project title, selected destination  folder, set video - 'Cinepak Codec by Radius'. Audio is set to 'PCM'.

6. When I hit the 'Publish' button, it processed, and a video of the first slide appeared. I closed it, and it took awhile to close.

7. I checked the output folder, and there was no output file. There is no output file anywhere.

TOPICS
Import export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 04, 2009 Nov 04, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The help says: The full motion recorded movie is placed into one slide of a project and plays like a “mini movie” within the larger project.

This didn't happen with me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 05, 2009 Nov 05, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

• First question: did you install the patch released end of may? This is possible by Help, Updates.
  • Second question: did you really need Full Motion Recording? The default way of creating a CP-movie is by having it record slide per slide (automatically), CP will detect any changes on the screen and add slides for the change. In that way you are getting not only a much smaller file size, but will be able to edit each slide (such as adding Text Captions, interactive objects as Click Boxes, Zoom, Slidelets..., audio) or inserting slides to explain. Because you talk about 'a bunch of slide' I think you did not do FMR.

If needed CP will switch automatically to FMR-mode to capture p.e. a drag and drop action, but this will be rather small movies. Each FMR-movie will be shown on the timeline as a single object. You can edit it, by using the FMR editor, but this editing is much more limited and cumbersome such like editing a tape movie by cutting parts of the tape and sticking them together.

• Third question: how did you publish the movie, and how did you view the published movie? Try first to publish as swf with HTML and view this.

Sorry for the questions, just trying to understand the problem and being able to help you out.

Lilybiri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I changed some settings, and did the full motion recording again, and this time, it saved it as one slide. It still won't publish. If I try to publish as swf, it freezes. I'll try running the update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

In addition to what Lilybiri offered, my own observation is that when you use the Full Motion Recording (FMR) option, the number of slides is determined by the length of the recording. I'm not sure what makes the determination (size of temp area or what) that constitutes when a break occurs.

Shorter recordings may end up on a single slide. Longer recordings may span several slides.

It's early and perhaps I missed seeing this. Maybe Lilybiri mentioned it and if so my apologies. But seldom (if ever) do we recommend recording using the FMR option in Captivate. If you are interested in the FMR style of recording, you will likely find yourself constantly frustrated with Captivate and will be better off using a tool suited to that type of recording. For example, TechSmith's Camtasia Studio.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

Captivate Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Adobe Certified Captivate Training

SorcerStone Blog

Captivate eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ya Camtasia has no problem recording. Why is Captivate giving problems?

I'm not trying to edit slides. I'm trying to record everything that goes on in my screen like Camtasia does. Trying to record for about a minute, and save it as AVI. I tried recording with different settings, and this time, it recorded the whole thing to one slide instead of splitting it up into a bunch of slides. It still won't publish. Go to publish, set it to AVI, and hit the 'Publish' button. All that comes up is a Flash screen that plays my vid for 3 seconds. Nothing gets saved. No avi.

Captivate is supposed to be capable of doing all this. I shoudn't have to install any other tools like Camtasia. The question still the same. Why isn't it exporting/publishing to avi?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

I know this will come off sounding a bit flippant, so I offer any apologies in advance.

The answer to this is riddled in a question: "How long is a piece of string?". Of course the answer to that is a big ole "it depends", no?

I consider it to be this way. I compare Camtasia and Captivate to be similar to Cars and Trucks. Both are vehicles that get you where you are going, but each really has a different purpose. Sure, you can use a car to haul loads. But is it really the proper tool? Perhaps you need to haul lots of building materials. I've seen folks strap all sorts of things onto the roof of the car. It gets you there with the materials, but nowhere nearly as easily as you would if you had a truck, no?

Or, perhaps you are a home improvement enthusiast. (I happen to be one) In my garage I have a portable circular saw, a portable sabre saw, a table saw and a compound miter saw. Each tool has a unique purpose and I use it according to its strength.

Sure, Captivate offers a Full Motion Recording feature. It works. But it doesn't work as well as Camtasia does if full motion is what you are really looking for.

As for exporting to AVI, there could be many factors at play. Compression, CODEC and who knows what else? What about interactivity? Do you have Click Boxes and other interactive elements? I don't believe an AVI supports interactivity beyond allowing the user to control the movie with a playback control of some sort. So it seems reasonable to me that if you had interactive objects in the movie that perhaps Captivate might choke when attempting to render it out.

Hopefully this was somewhat helpful... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

SorcerStone Blog

Captivate eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not really. I don't know what that has to do with it. If I had interactivity, it should still be able to export me an avi. All I did was record full motion for less than a minute. It then slits it up into slides. It will only come out as one slide if I record for like 10sec. But either way, still not publishing as avi. I don't care if I edit with lots of interactivity or not. It is supposed to be able to give me a avi video of whatever it is I create.

I rewrote the steps so you know exactly what I did:

1. Opened Captivate 4, and chose "Software Simulation".

2. I set it to record full screen on my single monitor. I then set to full motion recording.

3. I started recording for about 30sec-1min, and stopped. The recording showed up as bunch of slides in Captivate.

4. I went to the Publish menu to the Media section.

5. I set to publish as AVI, entered project title, selected destination  folder, set video - 'Cinepak Codec by Radius'. Audio is set to 'PCM'. (I also made an attempt with a different codec, and got the same result.)

6. When I hit the 'Publish' button, it processed, and a 3-second Flash video of what I recorded appeared. I closed it, and it took awhile to close.

7. I checked the output folder, and there was no output file. There is no output file anywhere.

That's all I did. No editing. No nothing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 06, 2009 Nov 06, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does anybody have a solution to this? Why is the avi of my slides not publishing?

I'm using Captivate 4 on Windows 7.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 06, 2009 Nov 06, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again

I think you need to isolate whether it's a generic publishing issue or is only related to AVI coming from Captivate.

I might suggest the following approach.

From Captivate, open one of the supplied sample projects. You should be able to find one in the My Documents\My Adobe Captivate Projects folder.

Try publishing the project as a SWF/HTM.

Assuming that's successful, try publishing the project as an EXE.

Assuming that's successful, try publishing the project as an AVI.

What this will do is determine if the issue is generically related to an aspect of the publishing process or if it's related to possibly only your specific project.

Once you isolate where the process is failing, you have hopefully narrowed where you need to look or tweak things to isolate the issue.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

SorcerStone Blog

Captivate eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 07, 2009 Nov 07, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

OK so I tried using one of the sample projects, and got the same results.

I then made a 30sec recording which was split into slides in captivate after I stopped recording. Then, and published as *.exe file. I got a box that said "Completed".

Capture.JPG

And I saw the output file on the desktop. When I ran the output *.exe file, I got a captivate preview screen that was blank. Just all white.

I tried publishing it as AVI, and got the same usual result. It plays in a Flash window for 3 secs, and stops. No output file. No "Completed" message.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources