4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 5, 2009 9:50 AM by Mylenium

how can i make an extrude on AE?

Dan Jacobsen Level 1

hi all,

possibly a very basic question, i can't believe it hasn't come up for me before

I'm try to generate an extrude for text. i'm talking about the very basic kind here, akin to a drop shadow or a border. not a 3d extrusion or anything.

If i'm using the wrong term it's like a classic drop shadow except the shadow bit is joined by diagonals to the text. mmm... not easy to explain, it's often used in old movie titles and comics.

I can't seem to find the effect anyway in AE. in desperation i offset 15 layers of the text in black, each one slightly further away to achieve it, but i'd love to know a more elegant method for the future.

cheers

• 1. Re: how can i make an extrude on AE?
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

You basically did it the right way. AE has no real extrusion tools at this point. You can facilitate your workflow, however. When you have created the text layer, use Layer --> Create Outlines chosing the shape layer option in CS4 or, if you are in CS3, creating them on a soilid and then copy&pasting them onto a shape layer. In teh shape layer, you can use the Repeater to clone and offset your layers. Just put them inside a separate group, Then add another duplicate of the type on top to create a clean cap. A little more convoluted, but once you have set it up, more flexible and you only have one layer to deal with. everything else is done inside the shape layer...

Mylenium

• 2. Re: how can i make an extrude on AE?
            Dan Jacobsen Level 1

Thanks for the speedy response Myl.

I'm using CS3 but i don't really understand your answer for that bit. what exactly do i copy into a shape layer? (haven't used these at all yet)

Do you mean a mask or an auto traced mask?

not sure if it makes a difference but the text is actually an animated pre-comp with text and moving lines, all of which needs to have the extrude as one item.

cheers

• 3. Re: how can i make an extrude on AE?
              Todd_Kopriva Level 8

From your description of the result that you're trying to achieve, it seems that you may want to have a look at layer styles. For example, an outer bevel gives the appearance of depth that an "extrusion" does.

Also, here's an After Effects Community Help search for 'extrude' that pulls up several different ways of creating or simulating extrusions with After Effects.

• 4. Re: how can i make an extrude on AE?
                Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

not sure if it makes a difference but the text is actually an animated pre-comp with text and moving lines, all of which needs to have the extrude as one item.

Ooooh, i see. Then strike my advise from your short (and long) term memory. If everything is already moving, you'd have to re-create it, if you wanted to use my techniques. Stacking layers is the best way then, perhaps combined with layer styles as Todd was suggesting.

Mylenium