11 Replies Latest reply on Nov 6, 2009 5:25 AM by ESC in KC

Audio losing synch in CS4 / Win 7

ESC in KC

Strange problem -- for me at least --

I recently started a project in PrPro CS4 on my windows XP machine -- Audio in synch and all was working fine.  Since the project was still quite new, I was willing to take a chance and resume working on it under the newly installed Windows 7 32-bit Ultimate OS (new hard drive in same computer).

The problem is that video that was already captured and in perfect synch when viewed with VLC player (on the Win7 HD) and is also in perfect synch when viewed in the preview monitor of CS4 on the WinXP drive, is OUT of synch when I view the PPro timeline AND the PPro preview monitor on the Win7 side of my machine.  It is like a slip edit of the audio was used because the clip on the timeline is about 1 second off from the video.  One more clue -- if I preview a 7 or 8 minute clip in PPro while on the Win7 OS side of my machine, it is like the old days of Premiere pro:  the audio slips more out of synch the further I go from the start of the clip.

The video and audio have not been unlinked in the timeline in my project, and I can switch back and forth from my Win7 and WinXP installations and this same project works fine on the XP side.

I hope this explanation is clear enough!  I really want to start working on the Win7 side of my machine and I can't seem to solve this issue.

My system:  PPro CS4 4.0.1 on Windows 7 Ultimate 32, quad core AMD Phenom, 4 GB RAM, 3 SATA hard drives (one for OS and program, one for media, one for project files).

Thanks for any help!!

• 1. Re: Audio losing synch in CS4 / Win 7
          Harm Millaard Level 7

First update to 4.1, then report if you still have these issues.

• 2. Re: Audio losing synch in CS4 / Win 7
            ESC in KC Level 1

An unfortunate typo on my part - I did do all the updating for PrPro before I imported this project.  It is running version 4.1.

• 3. Re: Audio losing synch in CS4 / Win 7
              Harm Millaard Level 7

What codec is used in the source material and what are the sequence settings?

• 4. Re: Audio losing synch in CS4 / Win 7
                ESC in KC Level 1

It seems I could have done a better job describing my project setup -- let me see if I can do so now.

My source footage is HDV 1080i/60 captured as mpeg directly in PrPro (on the xp side of my machine).

I used the sequence preset DV - NTSC widescreen 48khz.

[I like to scale down the HDV footage in the SD project, giving me lots of post-processing options in terms of slow pans, zooms, etc.]

I used to use Dan Isaacs hd2sd workflow in CS3, and plan on using his CS4 workflow that does not use the debugmode frameserver but have not tried it yet.

I have a whole lotta' clips in the project that I will be drawing material from, as I am making a trailer for an upcoming video I will be releasing in the spring.  But so far, only about 5 or 6 clips are being used in 1 to 2 second pieces on my timeline.  Nothing is nested, just a single simple timeline so far.

Thanks for your time in assisting me ~

• 5. Re: Audio losing synch in CS4 / Win 7
                  Harm Millaard Level 7

Maybe I'm looking at the problem from a very limited view, but have you noticed any dropped frames? If you capture with HDVSplit (freeware and much better than PR) do you still have the same OOS (out-of-sync) errors? People who had these OOS problems often found that using HDVSplit solved it for them.

• 6. Re: Audio losing synch in CS4 / Win 7
                    ESC in KC Level 1

I understand you asking that - it is certainly a good question.  I used to capture with HDVsplit for that very reason, but CS4 seemed to have solved the synch issue so I migrated to it.

More importantly I should reiterate that the synch of my clips is spot on when viewed with VLC player outside of premiere, AND, they are spot on when viewing them in the preview monitor and from the timeline in this same project when I open the project on the XP side of my machine.  No synch issues at all from front to end of clips when viewed as described.

And no, I do not have dropped frames in the clips.  PrPro did a very good job capturing without dropped frames.

This is what I mean when I say it is very strange.  I open the same project on the Win7 side of my machine, and the clips' audio is like it is slip edited -- the actual synch point is not even visible in the short clip on my timeline.

• 7. Re: Audio losing synch in CS4 / Win 7
                      ESC in KC Level 1

A little more clarification:

I just confirmed the following:

• Source clip when played in video software outside of Premiere Pro under both Windows XP and Windows 7 (ultimate 32-bit) has NO synch issues;
                      • Source clip when played in timeline and source monitor in PrPro CS4 4.1 under Windows XP has no synch issues;
                      • Source clip when played in timeline and source monitor PrPro CS4 4.1 under Windows 7 DOES have a synch issue.

I tried to reimport the clip into the Win7 project, and the same problem occurs when the newly imported clip is viewed in the source monitor.

Aaargh!  It's this crazy kind of stuff that makes me ask why I subject myself to the Adobe and Microsoft tortures sometimes... 

• 8. Re: Audio losing synch in CS4 / Win 7
                        Harm Millaard Level 7

Check this out: http://www.blackviper.com/Windows_7/servicecfg.htm and set the services you do not need to manual or disabled. Then post a screenshot from Process Explorer.

• 9. Re: Audio losing synch in CS4 / Win 7
                          ESC in KC Level 1

Ok... I removed quite a few processes and left a few obvious suspects in there (itunes, nero, lightscribe, etc.).  Still no effect on the synch, but I dont believe this is an optimization issue.  Here is a screenshot

Any more thoughts on this?

screenshot1.jpg

• 10. Re: Audio losing synch in CS4 / Win 7
                            Harm Millaard Level 7

The reason for my approach was that the system demands go up with each new version of CS. Now, if CS3 does not show the OOS issue, but CS4 does, it could well be that the system may be up on its toes all the time and finally getting so tired of the effort, it can only introduce OOS errors. So disabling or stopping services will reduce the overhead and the same applies to processes. By doing so, the burden on the system is reduced and maybe, just maybe solve the OOS issue. By diligently reducing the number of processes to around 40, maybe that can be the difference you need. You have correctly identified a number of them. The great thing is however, that a simple reboot will reset everything to your original state, so there is hardly any risk in trying this approach.

• 11. Re: Audio losing synch in CS4 / Win 7
                              ESC in KC Level 1

Thanks again for your time and thinking through this with me.

The main variable I have identified between the two "sides" of my machine is obviouslythe operating system.  Both my Win7 and WinXP hard drives are running the full Master Suite CS4 with all updates, and the XP side actually has a whole lot more garbage loaded on it than the Win7 side which was relatively fresh (loaded about a week ago).

This may be an unsolvable mystery -- I will keep an eye out for others that may post similar problems, but for now, I guess I will resume working on my project on the XP side.

Soon I will start a fresh project on the Win 7 side and see if it behaves any differently.  For now, I was wanting to resume working on the trailer that was started on the XP side of my machine.