8 Replies Latest reply on Nov 10, 2009 11:44 AM by Ibzrob

Opening v8 Project in v7

Ibzrob

Hi,

Is it possible to open an Adobe Premiere Elements version 8 project in version 7? I have opeend a project which I created in version 7, in version 8. After saving it and trying it in version 7 I get an error and it will not open.

I can't see an option to save the project in an older format (7 for example).

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Rob.

• 1. Re: Opening v8 Project in v7
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

You can usually open a version 7 project in version 8 without any problems.

However, once you do and then save it, as you've found, it becomes a version 8 project and you will no longer be able to open it in version 7.

• 2. Re: Opening v8 Project in v7
            Ibzrob Level 1

Thanks Steve that is what I thought.

I am just trying out v8 and in doing so I have saved over some of my old v7 templates. if I decide to stick with v7 then these projects are lost. It is a shame that there is not a feature to save in backward compatible format.

Thanks,

Rob.

• 3. Re: Opening v8 Project in v7
              Kodebuster Level 3

The more I think about this, the more it seems like it has the potential to really bug people out.

Especially if your unaware of the consequences, and happen to be playing with a new Trial version.

As a common courtesy, I don't understand why PE wouldn't at least give you a warning dialog box before opening an old Project on a later Release.

I mean we're not talking about splitting the atom, this is some pretty basic stuff to incorporate into an application...

• 4. Re: Opening v8 Project in v7
                -Subbi Adobe Employee

I totally agree with you here, some of my old projects were overwritten in this process. But then luckily enough i had some backups.

EM

• 5. Re: Opening v8 Project in v7
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Historically, when Opening an older version's Project in a newer version, conversion is necessary. In PrPro, there is a warning, though the language is probably not strong enough.

When doing any work with older Projects, I always use a Copy of the older version's Project files and NEVER Save over the earlier version's. Each newer version will have differences, and few of these differences will be backwardly compatible. The only exception that I have ever encountered was with Adobe Encore, where version 2.0 would actually Open Encore CS3's Project files with few issues. All other NLE's and authoring programs will not work going backward, hence the need to always work with a Copy, and NEVER the original Project file.

I also agree that before performing the version conversion a BIG, honking warning screen needs to come up. Programs, like Quicken, do this, telling the user that once the conversion has been done, there is NO "going back." Even with Photoshop, there are steps to insure compatibility between earlier versions of PS and later ones, and image files are so much simpler than NLE Project files.

Maybe Adobe could add a tag-line to the effect that the converted Project will NEVER work in the original version again.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Opening v8 Project in v7
                    VDOSurfer Level 3

In short, create in v7, open and work in v8 works. Create and/or edit in 8 and open in 7 - won't work

• 7. Re: Opening v8 Project in v7
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

One other thought, to keep you from loosing too much work from the PrE 7 Project: go to the Project's folder structure, and look for AutoSave. There should be five files in there (if you have not changed the default). With the Details View on (important), look at the Date/Time of these files. Disregard the numbers in their names. Open the last one created in PrE 7, and then do a Save_As to the Project's root folder, with a unique name, such as [Project Name]_001.prel, and you will have something very close to the Project that you took into PrE 8 and converted to PrE 8 format. You may have lost the last few edits, or maybe not.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Opening v8 Project in v7
                        Ibzrob Level 1

Thanks for the tip - worth remembering!

Rob.