3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 6, 2009 4:25 AM by Mylenium

Another issue with 3D/collapse transformations

Andy Bay Level 1

Hi!

Here's the situation:

I have a kinetic text animation in which the ae camera is rotating and moving in the 3D world. Some of my text layers have the roughen edges filter on them. When I turn on motion blur for those layers, it looks funny -propably because the roughen edges filter is affecting the motion blur (wrong render order?). So I tried my number one solution to these kinds of situations: precomposing. But when I precompose the text layers, I need to also turn collapse transformations on in order to maintain their position and rotation properties in the main comps 3d world. Which kind of cancels the purpose of the precomp because the render order changes back so that the motion blur gets applied before the roughen edges (and it looks funny again).

So how do I make sure that AE renders roughen edges first and applies the motion blur after that? I constantly struggle with render order issues like this and I have never come up with a simple solution that doesn't require several precomp generations.

Any help will be appreciated!

• 1. Re: Another issue with 3D/collapse transformations
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

I'm afraid you can't have it any other way. Somewhere there must be a flat 2D step to apply the effects, so if you use CT in 3D, that indeed can mean building a 3 level nesting hierarchy just to get it. It's sure annoying, but with internally generated items such as text and shape layers it's IMO not that big a problem. Since they can be up-rezed infinitely and still render pretty fast, using huge-ish 2D pre-comps for them is probably an acceptable compromise....

Mylenium

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Another issue with 3D/collapse transformations
            Andy Bay Level 1

Thank you for your reply!

I was afraid that the answer would be what you stated. It sure would be great to have some way of manually changing the render order for effects in AE, maybe I should make a feature request about it. I have heard many pros asking for nodes in AE, and if I understand correctly, that could be one solution for these kind of issues right?

In the meanwhile, does anyone have a script that would automatically create the required precomp hierarchy for a 3D layer so that these kind of effects could be achieved more easily?

• 3. Re: Another issue with 3D/collapse transformations
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

I recommend you check AEnhancers again. I can't point to anything specific, but surely this would be quick to do. The good old Precomp To Layer Duration for instance should be easy to modify to include a second level and then set some of the layer switches to enabled. I'm not sure about the CR switch, but the 3D switch definitley can be set in scripts.

Mylenium