5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 5, 2009 9:58 AM by Mylenium

CS4 - Additional File Formats and Effects Installation

-eb-

We are operating in a networked environment and are experiencing trouble with After Effects 9 (CS4). Frequently AE wants to connect to the Web and download/install additional file formats and effects. The "student user" accounts do not allow this and the process fails. Some AE projects REQUIRE these additional components, so as we encounter this problem we log on as a local administrator and allow the application to update these components.

Is there a way to make these components part of our standard software library, so the next time we re-image a lab everything is in place? These additional components do not seem to be included in the standard Adobe Updater. Or perhaps there are a few directories which just need an adjustment to their NTFS permissions?

I haven't seen anything on the Web about this, nor in these forums. Has anyone else encountered this while in a networked enviornment? Solutions?

Thanks...

• 1. Re: CS4 - Additional File Formats and Effects Installation
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Your installs are not correctly serialized (or not at all?). That's the whole problem. Third party content such as the various MPEG CoDecs and CC plug-ins will only be installed, ifd a serial was input during the setup. Without it, AE simply installs in trial mode. There is no magic handshake here. That document here might enlighten you further: http://www.adobe.com/aboutadobe/volumelicensing/pdfs/deploymenttoolkit_cs4_help.pdf.

Mylenium

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: CS4 - Additional File Formats and Effects Installation
            -eb- Level 1

Interesting. Pretty sure the suite was serialized during the installation, but I will go back and check. The interesting thing is that on the affected systems if I log in as a local admin the additional components download and install just fine. The fact that the applications install in Trial Mode without the additional components is helpful though...that sounds like it could be the problem.

-eb-

• 3. Re: CS4 - Additional File Formats and Effects Installation

Well, suites are a whole different matter (you didn't mention that). In that case you may have used conflicting options somewhere. More specifically, you may have a language issue that manifests itself as a serial issue. Serials are language specific, so if you e.g. have an English install package, but choose German dutring install, some components will not be installed, because the serial is not valid for German. The same can happen, when the system uses a different default language than the installer is for. For instance if you install in English on a German system, some components such as Bridge or Adobe Media Encoder will always be in German based on your system's locale. I strongly suspect one of these inconsistencies in the installer biting you...

Mylenium

• 4. Re: CS4 - Additional File Formats and Effects Installation
                -eb- Level 1

Lets assume that the correct (English) serial was entered during installation, and that there were no inconsistencies with language options...etc. At what point do those 3rd party codecs and plug-ins get installed? After first launching the product, or only when an AE project requires additional components?

I just did a fresh install on a new machine and never saw any dialogue box or alert about AE downloading and installing anything "extra". We don't set up any of our systems for multi-lingual use, and I'm quite certain another language was not specified during the install. I'll double check, but it would be useful to know what the trigger is for checking for these additional components, and if I can force it to happen on the machine I'm setting up as my master.

Thanks...

-eb-

• 5. Re: CS4 - Additional File Formats and Effects Installation

If a valid serial is provided, they get installed during the main install, so it's normal that you don't see any warnings or info then. If a serial was provided after the fact, they are installed when the program is launched. Should that still not install them, then indeed importing an asset with MPEG compression, opening a Premiere Pro project or similar operations would/ should trigger the install routine to kick in or at least set an installer flag, that runs the post-install install (yes, that's what people call it, even if it sounds funny) at the next program start. It's basically a 3 tier system with several safety options.

Mylenium

1 person found this helpful