6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 6, 2009 1:43 PM by Harm Millaard

RELIABLE 1-TB hard drives for RAID 10... Recommendations?

fuaho Level 1

I am planning to expand my raid setup - presently four 500GB Seagate 7200.11 using RAID 10.  I do not see a lot of traffic on this subject except that Seagates do not seem to be stable, and a reviewer of the WD Black Caviar mentioned that they are not for RAID usage although I couldn't find that on the WD website.

Before I plunk down my hard earned $$$, I thought I'd see what recommendations the forum has.

I'd appreciate real-life experiences rather than opinions.

TIA,

BTW, there is no HDD category in the Hardware forum...

• 1. Re: RELIABLE 1-TB hard drives for RAID 10... Recommendations?
          Jim_Simon Level 9
          Seagates do not seem to be stable

Most of that likely comes from Harm, whose experience is almost certainly the exception rather than the rule.  I use a 1.5 TB 7200.11 myself and have had no problems at all.  And the newer 7200.12's are even better.

• 2. Re: RELIABLE 1-TB hard drives for RAID 10... Recommendations?
            Harm Millaard Level 7
            I'd appreciate real-life experiences rather than opinions.

That I can fully understand, but you have to realize that most people here have two or three disks, so it will be difficult to get real-life experiences in a meaningful number to base your decision on.

I can only tell you what I have experienced.

I my Thecus NAS I have 7 x 1.5 TB Seagate 7200.11 disks. Out of the 7 disks, 5 failed within 2 months, all replaced under guarantee and updated to the latest firmware. It runs OK now, but the number of defective blocks on a number of drives is worrisome, varying between 9 and 22 blocks per disk, which is much too high IMO after around 4000 hours of operation. Keep in mind that the NAS is running 24/7.

In my editing station I have 16 x 1 TB Samsung F1's, 12 of which in a raid30. I have had 2 disks fail, one in the first two days and a second one after about 4 months. No further problems. No easy way to see the number of defective blocks however.

In one server (an old one) I have 6 Maxtor 250 G disks that still run without problems, although initially 2 out of 6 needed to be replaced within the first month. In another server I have several 74 G HP SCSI disks that work flawless.

In the past I have had a multitude of Maxtor disks that only quit because of old age (5-8 years).

Now to hearsay:

The Seagate 7200.12 range is allegedly much better than the 7200.11 but I have nothing to substantiate that.

The WD Caviar Black is reputed to be very good, but rumors go around that it is not the best one for raids. I never understood why.

The WD RE series are generally advised for raid configurations, but I have no tangible data to support that (marketing) claim.

The Samsung range of F3's may be the best bang-for-the-buck currently.

Maybe www.storagereview.com has some more information for you.

Hope this is helpful.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: RELIABLE 1-TB hard drives for RAID 10... Recommendations?
              fuaho Level 1

@Jim:

Actually, it is not difficult to find reviews of problematic Seagate drives. There have been firmware issues, etc, so I don't think we can throw all the blame on Harm (this time anyway...).

@Harm:

The most disturbing thing about your response is that every manufacturer has been problematic. HDD's are the IMHO most important part of a computer and yet they all seem to be unreliable. It seems like one should build a system and simply let it run for a few months without using it for anything important to see if the drives are OK...

I find that scary! 

But thanks for the input anyway. I always had great luck with Maxtor drives. Out of 15 removable drives in the 30GB to 160GB sizes, I only had one that started making a high-pitched whining noise which I thought was a bearing starting to go, so I backed up the drive and pulled it out of service. Now, of course, Maxtor is Seagate.

• 4. Re: RELIABLE 1-TB hard drives for RAID 10... Recommendations?
                Jim_Simon Level 9
                I don't think we can throw all the blame on Harm

For the general idea, no.  There was a problem with the firmware.  But no data was lost (if handled properly), and the problem was resolved with a firmware update.

But the exaggerated severity of the problem you might find in these forums...that one I think mostly comes from Harm.

• 5. Re: RELIABLE 1-TB hard drives for RAID 10... Recommendations?
                  fuaho Level 1

After additional research, it looks like the winner may be the WD RE WD1002FBYS. 80% positive on hundreds of reviews.

Now my only concerns are if they'll work OK with the ICH9R chipset and how they'll be packed for shipping. More and more vendors seem to feel that they can just throw stuff in a box with an air pillow and expect it to arrive in working order.

• 6. Re: RELIABLE 1-TB hard drives for RAID 10... Recommendations?
                    Harm Millaard Level 7

They will work without a problem. My feeling is that you have made a good choice. I would not worry about the packaging. Install them and be very attentive to whining, rattling or other strange noises during boot in the first days.