7 Replies Latest reply on Feb 23, 2010 6:45 AM by Chris Nelthorpe

Laptop:  i7 vs. Core 2 Duo

Jack Banatoni Level 1

Has anyone used an i7 laptop yet?  I already have a solid desktop for editing, but I'd like something for the road.  I'd be using primarily HDV 720p footage, possibily some SD.  Might eventually use AVCHD, but I'm not expecting a laptop to handle that as of now.

Here is what I'm comparing for processors on HP Laptops.

Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo Processor P7450 (2.13GHz, 3 MB L2 Cache, 1066MHz FSB) (could possibly make this a 2.53)

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-720QM Processor (1.6GHz, 6MB L2 Cache, 1333MHz FSB)

Which processor would be better for CS4 (or, eventually, CS5)?  Also, how vital is a 1gb video card vs 512mb?  They're offering ATI cards for some models, but that has me a little nervous with CS5 being optimized for NVIDIA.

Thanks,

JB

• 1. Re: Laptop:  i7 vs. Core 2 Duo
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Definitely the i7, although a faster model might be welcome like an i7-740QM.

Also, how vital is a 1gb video card vs 512mb?  They're offering ATI cards for some models, but that has me a little nervous with CS5 being optimized for NVIDIA.

Not. 512 is enough. Why are you nervous about CS5 being optimized for nVidia? They claimed that with CS4 as well and most of the problems were with nVidia cards and the bugs that were probably optimized to create havoc.

ATI IMO is in general the better choice, less problems, frequent updates, and less expensive with better performance.

• 2. Re: Laptop:  i7 vs. Core 2 Duo
            Jack Banatoni Level 1

Unfortunately, the next step up they offer is the i7-820QM Processor (1.73GHz, 8MB L2 Cache, 1333MHz FSB)  which is an extra $400.  That's a little out of my price range.

Do you think I have any shot of editing HDV on the i7-720QM?  My desktop has an AMD Phenom 9850 (Black edition, Quad-core, 2.5GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 2MB L3 Cache).  Would this laptop i7 actually be better suited for editing than my AMD desktop?

I typically use ATI cards, but it looks like the ATI is only available for the Core 2 Duo models.  Looks like nVidia for the i7 models.

Thanks for the input!

JB

• 3. Re: Laptop:  i7 vs. Core 2 Duo
              Harm Millaard Level 7

Jack,

I agree with you that the price difference between the 720 and the 820 is prohibitive and likely not worth it. I think you are OK for HDV.

I would be very interested to see how your AMD Phenom performs in comparison to other systems. I request that you do the www.ppbm4.com benchmark and submit your results to Bill. It will take only a couple of minutes to do the test and it will show you how fast the AMD is in comparison to mostly Intel based systems.

• 4. Re: Laptop:  i7 vs. Core 2 Duo
                Chris Nelthorpe

I'm also priced out of the i7 range... so can anyone please tell me the difference between an Intel Core 2 Duo and an Intel Dual Core please...? I want to run Adobe Premiere CS4 on one machine.

For instance, would these two machines handle it...?

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/189888

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/176091

Cheers guys.

• 5. Re: Laptop:  i7 vs. Core 2 Duo
                  Harm Millaard Level 7

SD would be OK, HDV would be doubtful, AVCHD impossible. This is assuming you add at least 1 but preferably 2 7200 eSATA disks. Otherwise all bets are off. Why anyone would like to use a laptop for editing is beyond me, for the same price tag one can easily find a much better performing desktop and better screen estate.

• 6. Re: Laptop:  i7 vs. Core 2 Duo
                    Scott Chichelli Level 3

HI,

so far in our tests the 620M (2.66GHz) is beating the 720QM and 820QM. i have not tested the 920.

looks like GHz is still king with these mobile chips.

also a T9600 (2.8GHz) is keeping up with them all.

nvidia or ATI wont matter on mobile for CS5 as you need a 285 or a quadro for mercury.

there is 1 laptop that has 285 in it but it uses a desktop i7 and not cheap.

Scott

ADK

• 7. Re: Laptop:  i7 vs. Core 2 Duo
                      Chris Nelthorpe Level 1

Thanks guys.

The footage that needs to be edited is HDV and in .mxf format (I've posted elsewhere about the format). For that reason it doesn't sound like those two machines I've namechecked will be any use for editing on Prem CS4. Dell make the Studio XPS which has the i7 processor, but unfortunately it's prohibitively expensive and not available until 31st March.