16 Replies Latest reply on Sep 15, 2012 8:36 AM by the_wine_snob

Denoiser "Sorry incompatible sampling-frequency" error

Robyn_Schnobrich Level 1

When I apply the DeNoiser effect to an audio clip, I receive an error that saus "Sorry incompatible sampling-frequency". What do I need to do to be able to use DeNoiser on my audio clips?

Thanks

Message title was edited by: Brett N

• 1. Re: Denoiser error
          Robyn_Schnobrich Level 1

They are video/audio clips from a Canon SD630. I imported them into PE8 just as AVIs. I was reading a thread about file format before and I tried to import it into Audacity. But the save as options were only as WAVs or MP3s? I tried to export it as a WAV and put it in as a narration but was unsuccessful ( I think since there was no sound). Where can I view the actual specs of the clip?

Robyn

• 2. Re: Denoiser error
            Robyn_Schnobrich Level 1

Does it matter if its still within the video clip?

• 3. Re: Denoiser error
              Robyn_Schnobrich Level 1

Thank you that took care of it! Now I just need to figure out how to use the DeNoiser!

• 4. Re: Denoiser error
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Audacity will "rip" the Audio from a muxed (multiplexed, i.e. combined Audio & Video in one file), and allow one to replace the Audio from the muxed file with a PCM/WAV 48KHz 16-bit file. The editor would just Alt-click on the muxed Audio portion and Delete it.

Does PrE have Render/Replace for muxed Audio, like PrPro does? If so, that would effectively replace that muxed Audio Clip with PCM/WAV Audio.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Denoiser error
                  the_wine_snob Level 9
                  Does PrE have Render/Replace for muxed Audio, like PrPro does?

Looking at PrE 4, it does not appear that there is a Render/Replace function for muxed Audio files, but maybe I missed it in the program and in Help.

If that IS the case, then I would use Audacity to rip the muxed Audio, and manually replace the file with a PCM/WAV.

Hunt

• 6. Re: Denoiser error
                    pacermike Level 1

All of Steve Grisetti's replies are showing up blank! Is this true for anyone else? His reply in post number 6 is marked as the "Correct Answer" which is a bummer because I'm having the same exact trouble as the original poster. As soon as I apply the De-noiser I get the error "Sorry, incompatible sampling-frequency". Thanks for any help.

• 7. Re: Denoiser error
                      Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Strange! Looks like I've been censored!

[MODERATOR NOTE: At this time it is unknown who cleared the text from the previous posts (or whether it was the result of some glitch), but the blank entries, along with some conversation specifically about the blank entires, have been deleted to help clear up the conversation on this topic as the text of the original posts is now lost]

Message was edited by: Brett N

• 8. Re: Denoiser error
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Ah those pesky MOD's. Turn your back on 'em, and they strike with "the censor's quill... "

Now Steve, just channel back to 2009, and tell us what you wrote.

Just a guess on my part, but I'd say that at least one pointed out that Denoise Effect is designed to primarily remove tape hiss.

For the removal of some other noise from Audio, perhaps this ARTICLE will be useful? Note, however, that some noise will occupy the same frequency ranges as music and human speech, so there might be limitations on what can be removed, without adversely affecting other desired Audio.

Hunt

• 9. Re: Denoiser error
                          pacermike Level 1

Hey Bill,

Thanks for the link. What I want to remove is very much like tape hiss but as soon as I apply the De-noiser I get "Sorry, incompatible sampling-frequency". Is that error actually referring to the frequency of the noise/hiss? I was thinking it had something more to do with the frequency or bit-rate of the audio file, and I don't know how to change that if that's the issue. Basically, I just want to know what the error means and how to fix it so I can see if the De-noiser will take care of the problem or not.

Thanks for any help!

• 10. Re: Denoiser error
                            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

What is the sampling rate of yoru audio, Mike?

Is this from a camcorder or from some other source?

Is it either 48,000 or 44,100? Any other sampling rate can cause problems.

• 11. Re: Denoiser error
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

As Steve says, the error refers to the Sample-Rate of the Audio Clip. At a very general level, the two elements that count here are the Sample-Rate, say 48KHz, and the Bit-Depth, say 16-bit.

My guess is that your Audio Clip has a non-standard Sample-Rate, and that is why Steve is asking for the specs. of the Audio file.

Now, normally, PrE will Conform many Audio files to 48KHz, 32-bit floating point for precise editing, so it can handle many Sample-Rates and Bit-Depths, by that Conformation. Usually, non-standard Sample-Rates and/or Bit-Depths will throw an error upon Import, if PrE cannot Conform it properly, so that the application of Audio Effects is actaully being applied to the Conformed 48KHz 32-bit floating point file, that PrE creates (a CFA file).

As a test, use the great, free audio-editing program, Audacity, to rip the original Clip's Audio. Do a Save, and choose PCM/WAV 48KHz 16-bit. Import that WAV file, and let PrE Conform it (should be very quick, as it's already close to what PrE will use for editing), and then drag that to the Timeline, to a free Audio Track, and align it with the original Audio. Apply the Denoise Effect to that WAV file. For this test, I would just go to Window>Audio Mixer and Mute the Audio Track, where the original Audio file is. Listen carefully. Did the Denoise Effect apply to that WAV file? Does it help with the tape hiss?

Good luck, and please let us know the specs. of the original Audio, plus how the test progresses.

Hunt

• 12. Re: Denoiser error
                                pacermike Level 1

Hey Bill and Steve,

Thanks for all the great information

The file itself is an .avi I rendered from 3DSMax. I checked the properties on it and it says:

Source Audio Format : 11025 Hz - 8 bit - Mono

Project Audio Format: 11025 Hz - 32 bit floating point - Mono

So I'm guessing that the sample rate is the trouble here? I'm going to go forward with the test using Audacity and see what happens. Probablly won't get to work on it again until after the weekend but I'll post my results!

Thanks again!

• 13. Re: Denoiser error
                                  Jimmy Crim Level 1

Hi, sorry to bump this old thread but I just finnished a two hour "home made" documentary with alot of wind noise in its places.

If I edit the sample rate for the original avi's, will Premiere Pro (CS5.5) automatically update my project and enable me to denoise my clips a bit?

Or is it best to export my project as a video file with 44khz and then do my best to reduce noise from the exported file?

Any tips are appreciated. Thanks.

• 14. Re: Denoiser error
                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Jimmy,

You are probably best to post to the Premiere Pro CS 5/ CS 5.5/ CS 6 Forum, for specifics about your program.

However, with wind noise, the DeNoiser Effect will likely not help you. It is designed to remove tape hiss in an analog source. Bit-Rate will not affect what you need either.

I would suggest that you look over this article for some possible tips: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/572518?tstart=30

Note that I said, "possible," as it will depend entirely on the frequencies of the noise that you wish to remove, and the frequencies of the Audio, that you wish to maintain. Adobe Audition has a good Noise Removal Preset in the Restoration group. It can do amazing things, BUT, you need to tweak, listen, tweak, listen, and then repeat, until you have things "clean." Also, you can gate many frequencies (depending on frequency overlap), and clean things some more. The article goes into a bit more detail, plus mentions some other programs.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 15. Re: Denoiser error
                                      Jimmy Crim Level 1

Thank you for the tips! I am prepared to not get rid of the wind noise but I used to be able to reduce it in Cubase before. Although it's time consuming. There is also a tape hiss sound from my camera that I think the DeNoiser might heklp with. It's no tape camera but I dropped it so it started making a constant low noise.

And sorry again about posting here, I know this is the Elements forum but since the problem with the error message was the same i figured I'd not start another almost identical thread.

Thank you!

• 16. Re: Denoiser error
                                        the_wine_snob Level 9

If the camera's "noise" is in the frequency range of analog tape hiss, then the DeNoiser Effect might well be helpful. Audio repair does not care what the source of the noise is, but only the frequency and amplitude of that noise.

Using Cubase to repair background noise is just like using Audition. You are correct in that it takes time, and plenty of critical listening. Full-featured audio-editing programs offer tons of tools, and most will let the user install more tools, via VST's, and they might have some presets to act as starting points, but in the end, the user needs to do some work.

One little bit of amazement to me was that Magix program, Audio Cleaning Lab, was how good a job it did with the default presets, and then how effective it was, with just a bit of tweaking. For the low price, I was blown away, and now use it, before I head to Audition.

As for the posting, I certainly understand your thoughts. I contemplated Branching your Reply into a new post in the Premiere Pro Forum, but as you were relating to this thread, felt that would not be helpful to you. Also, at this point, we're really not talking about Premiere versions, but an Effect that exists in each version, however with some slight differences. After giving it a lot of thought, I came to agree with you, that this is a logical place. Should the questions become more Pr version specific, then I would suggest posting to PrPro and will help you move/copy anything that is needed there. No problem. It's not like mention of PrPro is forbidden here - heck, I do it all the time.

Most of all, good luck,

Hunt