12 Replies Latest reply on Nov 8, 2009 2:41 PM by the_wine_snob

Having trouble inserting video into Photoshop Elements Slideshow

Mr. Guzie

I have inserted a PSE slideshow (with transitions) into a video I am creating in Premiere Elements.  After breaking apart the slideshow I am still unable to insert a video clip.  It always wants to place it over the top of the existing slideshow rather than seperate the slideshow and allow my clip to be inserted.  Any ideas?

PS - I have tried removing the transistion between the 2 still photos that I want to place the video in between but that still didn't work.

• 1. Re: Having trouble inserting video into Photoshop Elements Slideshow
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Mr. Guzie

What versions of Photoshop Elements and Premiere Elements are you using? For now, no matter.....

I think that the problem is in your management and placement of the mouse cursor.

Try this:

Given that you have the Photoshop Elements Slide Show Editor slideshow on the Timeline, you have right clicked the slideshow there, and clicked on Break Apart Adobe Photoshop Elements Slideshow (for versions Premiere Elements 4 or 7) or Break Apart Elements Organizer Slideshow (if Premiere Elements 8), and you now have the broken apart slideshow. You should not have to remove transitions prior to the following.

Click and drag the video from the media panel and holding down on the mouse continuously, get the mouse cursor to the edge where you want the insertion, moving the mouse cursor down into the video one content until the mouse cursor changes to a white arrow with a icon next to it that looks like two vertical gray bars with a green arrow between. Only then release the mouse. The video should just snap into place and not end up on video track 2. I think that you are releasing the mouse too soon when you are not yet in the right location for the insertion into video track 1 content at an appropriate point.

I will be watching for your progress.

ATR

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Having trouble inserting video into Photoshop Elements Slideshow
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Meantime, make sure that the slideshow, although broken apart, isn't "grouped". The way you can tell if it's grouped is that, when you click to select one clip on the timeline, the entire set will be highlighted.

If it is grouped, right-clicked and select the option to Ungroup. Then you should be able to separate the clips so that you can insert your video.

• 3. Re: Having trouble inserting video into Photoshop Elements Slideshow
              A.T. Romano Level 7

SG

A highly unlikely scenario, but, in the world of Premiere Elements, we take nothing for granted...believe, but verify.

Last night I actually went through the entire procedure that I suggested, using integrated Photoshop Elements and Premiere Elements, and it fits the syndrome detail per detail on how that video is ending up on video track 2 and not being inserted into the content on video track 1.

Let us see.

ATR

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Having trouble inserting video into Photoshop Elements Slideshow
                Mr. Guzie Level 1

Thank you both for your help.  It sounds like what I am experiencing may not have a work around as of yet.

In the meantime, my IT department "upgraded" me from XP to W7 and now my version 7 applications that I was running not longer will load.  So, I am off to purchase V8 of both and load them today.  Who knows, maybe I won't have this issue in 8.

If you think of anything else for me to try I would appreciated it!

• 5. Re: Having trouble inserting video into Photoshop Elements Slideshow
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Mr. Guzie

Sorry to learn that you have not resolved your problem. I was almost positive that my suggestion would work. But.....

Since that is not the case, even though you cannot insert your video into the Timeline, do the Timeline contents allow you to move them with the mouse cursor, leaving a space where the video was to go?

In view of your present Premere Elements 7 Windows 7 unexpected issues and if you do want to go to the newest version, might not it be better to get the free 30 day tryout from Adobe before purchasing?

ATR

• 6. Re: Having trouble inserting video into Photoshop Elements Slideshow
                    Mr. Guzie Level 1

Thanks for the trial thought but I know I am going to up grade to 8 so I might as well just be "official".

I was able to break apart my slideshow to make room for the video but it was very labor intensive.  I had to remove every transition, auto generated in Photoshop E,  between the photos I wanted to move, then slide each photo over individually and then manually re-apply the transitions.  I do a yearly family video that includes both still and video clips.  In the past I had always added each item to the timeline manually and dropped in the transitions (very slow).  This year I thought it would be a great time savings to create the slideshow of all my stills in PE and insert the video clips in Premiere.  Sounded good in theory but has yet to prove itself to be what I was hoping for.

I do appreciate all of your input though!

• 7. Re: Having trouble inserting video into Photoshop Elements Slideshow
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

I am surprised that you need to remove the existing Transitions. With the SlideShow "broken apart," I would have thought that if one lassoed, say all of the images to the right of where one wished to add the Video, and then just dragged them all to the right, the one existing Transition would just disappear, leaving all of the rest. Then, one could add the Video to that new "gap" and tighten up the remaining slides and Transitions to butt up to the Tail of that new Video, along with the existing Transitions. One would then only have to add the appropriate new Transition to the Head of the Video and to the Tail of that Video. I cannot image why that would not work.

As I do all of my SlideShows in the Timeline (do not have PSE), I cannot test this. Maybe there is something that I am missing here.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Having trouble inserting video into Photoshop Elements Slideshow
                        Mr. Guzie Level 1

Thanks everyone for your help.  My upgrade to Rev 8 has eliminated my issue.  Thanks again.

• 9. Re: Having trouble inserting video into Photoshop Elements Slideshow
                          the_wine_snob Level 9
                          My upgrade to Rev 8 has eliminated my issue.

Excellent news! Now, are you able to break apart the SlideShow and insert Video, without having to manually delete all Transitions?

I do not know of any reason that earlier versions would not allow this, but if PrE 8 "fixes" it, that is all that's needed to get you up and editing.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 10. Re: Having trouble inserting video into Photoshop Elements Slideshow
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

Mr. Guzie

I was glad to learn that your upgrade to Photoshop Elements 8 and Premiere Elements 8 went well and was without the issue that you encountered in Photoshop Elements 7 and Premiere Elements 7. I too am not sure what created the 7 versions issue since I have both of those programs installed on my computer and actually physically went through the steps that you described and got the job done as described in my earlier post in this thread.

You will read in this forum many, many users experiencing all sorts of performance problems, using Premiere Elements 8....all sorts of remedies being suggested. Some remedies work for some, not for others. But, recent reports suggest that Premiere Elements 8 performance is quite good on a clean Windows 7 operating system as compared to XP or Vista. So, it will be interesting to see how you fare with Premiere Elements 8 installed on your Windows 7. I will be looking forward to updates on your progress.

Continued success and thank you for looking at our suggestions.

ATR

• 11. Re: Having trouble inserting video into Photoshop Elements Slideshow
                              Mr. Guzie Level 1

Yes, it now works as I thought it should.  I was able to create a slideshow of still images with transitions automatically in Photoshop, export to Elements and then insert a video in the middle of the slideshow slick as a whistle!

Thanks again for your help.

• 12. Re: Having trouble inserting video into Photoshop Elements Slideshow
                                the_wine_snob Level 9
                                slick as a whistle!

Doesn't get much better than that!

Hunt