1 Reply Latest reply on Nov 6, 2009 3:48 AM by Mylenium

Brightening Video for YouTube

Cris is Bliss Level 1

Hello All,

I have created my video on a Mac and upload to Youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LDEOuHhYrs

Some feedback from people who have seen it is that some scenes are too dark.  I had made some dark scene intentionally but when I veiwed it on YouTube from my neighbors HP computer the video was darker and slightly different color cast than what I created.  I don't know if its a Mac/PC thing or a Youtube- Mac/PC thing or maybe just her computer monitor, but she said that it was also dark on her Laptop (non-Apple).

On my computer I compared shots from the video inside of Premiere Pro to the same shot on Youtube and the color is relatively consistant.  I've read that APPLE has its own way of interpreting color so I'm thinkings its a Mac/PC thing and since most of the world is not Mac I should accomodate the majority.

So I need some advice on if I should upload a brighter version of the video, and what would be the best method of doing it.

Thank Cris

• 1. Re: Brightening Video for YouTube
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Well, to me it looks okay on my monitor (calibrated sRGB). The problem you are facing is, that unless everybody calibrates his monitor, there will always be differences in the effective Gamma and color. Settings for brightness, color temperature, color adjustments etc. can considerably influence perception and in addition, that is further influenced by the environmental ambient light, reflections on teh screen, the background color of the wall and so on. there are litetrally hundreds of books delaing with that. On top of it, until recently indeed differnt operating systems used different Gamma - Windows has always used 2.2, Macs historically 1.6 and then 1.8. Only OSX 10.6 unifies this by also using 2.2. So whichever way you twist and turn this, there will be no satisfactory solution to your problem. You might slightly brighten it to cater for a broader audience, but that should be very subtle. As I said, the colors look okay to me the way they are. Excessive adjustments would ruin them.

Mylenium