10 Replies Latest reply on Nov 8, 2009 3:48 PM by JimHess-hfHwAH

Need Help!

cdcarter

I own the Canon 40D and shoot in RAW format and edit in Camera RAW 5 on my Photoshop CS4 Extended Program.  Well today I purchased the Canon 5D Mark ii and shot some images in RAW and they will not open in Camera RAW in Photoshop.  Sooooo, my best guess is that I need a plug in or update for Camera Raw 5.0.  Well I can't find any updates for this.  Any suggestions anyone? Help!!

I can always use DPP but I really like Camera Raw much better!

Thanks to anyone who can help me out!

Chanda

• 1. Re: Need Help!
          Jeff Schewe Level 5

cdcarter wrote:

Sooooo, my best guess is that I need a plug in or update for Camera Raw 5.0. 

Ya think?

Photoshop CS4 shipped with Camera Raw 5.0 in Oct 2008. The 5D MII started shipping in late Nov/early Dec 2008. So, the fact that the camera shipped _AFTER_ the Camera Raw 5.0 shipped is a pretty good clue...

Download Camera Raw 5.5 (the current shipping version as of Sept 2009–well AFTER the 5D MIII shipped) that that will prolly work...

First guess would be to visit the ACR product page for clues...

(the ACTUAL link could have been provided if you had bothered to indicate you OS...DOH)

BTW, ya might wanna bookmark that url in the event you need future updates...

Seriously, don't people have a clue? I mean, based on simple Google searches and some "basic" level of knowledge of how Camera Raw works, wouldn't "normal" Photoshop users check the Adobe downloads for updates? Seriously...I would like to know what the expectations of "normal users" would be? Wouldn't you check for an update to solve your problems?

• 2. Re: Need Help!
            cdcarter Level 1

Are you seriously ******** at me? I mean, really?  Thats the VERY first thing I did!  If these forums piss you off that much then go get a life and quit being rude! *******!!

• 3. Re: Need Help!
              Jeff Schewe Level 5

LOL...

So, do you have Camera Raw 5.5 properly installed for your OS? Exactly WHERE is it installed (and what OS are you on?).

If you DID properly install Camera Raw 5.5, then you WOULD be able to open your 5D MII images...since you can't, you've done something wrong.

I wonder what? Since you not stated you OS, I can't even tell you where it should go...

• 4. Re: Need Help!
                cdcarter Level 1

OS is Windows and no, it will not download

• 5. Re: Need Help!
                  Jeff Schewe Level 5

So, under Help>Updates, you see nothing?

Try going HERE...

Do you see a DOWNLOAD link?

(hint, hint–you need at least Camera Raw 5.3 or 5.4 in order to support the 5D MII).

Download and install the Win version of Camera Raw 5.5.

• 6. Re: Need Help!
                    cdcarter Level 1

Yes I've tried download all of these. I have 5.0 and I don't find an update for it anywhere.

• 7. Re: Need Help!
                      Jeff Schewe Level 5

Wow...the current released version of Camera Raw for CS4 is Camera Raw 5.5. Pretty sure the direct link is THIS

Note, you _DO_ need to have an Adobe ID to log in for the download...

Camera Raw 5,5 properly installed, will support the 5D MII Canon camera...Camera Raw 5.0 will not...you need to update.

• 8. Re: Need Help!
                        cdcarter Level 1

yes, I downloaded from this link and it still does not work. I think I'm going to unstall Photoshop and reinstall.  There must be an internal problem there for some reason.

• 9. Re: Need Help!
                          John Joslin Level 6

You can find the actual plug-in file in the download package, delete the old 5.0 version and manually place 5.5 in the correct folder.

• 10. Re: Need Help!
                            JimHess-hfHwAH

cdcarter wrote:

yes, I downloaded from this link and it still does not work. I think I'm going to unstall Photoshop and reinstall.  There must be an internal problem there for some reason.

I assume that you understand that it takes more than a simple download.  The new Camera Raw plug-in has to be installed before it will work.