6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 11, 2009 7:39 AM by Allen W.

Why does "Change to Color" not work consistantly?

Allen W. Level 1

"Change to Color" does not seem to work correctly. I have a map with some geographic areas in red that I want to change to grey but AE won't do it. It will change it to blue or purple, etc. but not grey. On another map I want to change a region from a bluish-grey to the pastel pink of another region. I tried to match the 'to' color using the eye dropper. AE turns the 'from' region to brown not pastel pink. (In fact AE changes the 'from' region to a reddish-brown before I even select a 'to' color; at first I thought this was simply a selection highlight.) I have tried changing the tolerance and softness adjustments to no avail. How can I get this to work correctly?

--Allen

• 1. Re: Why does "Change to Color" not work consistantly?
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

It works as intended. On greyscale images there is no such thing as a Hue value, so it's no wonder your values go out of whack. It is always assumed to be the default, which is Red (0 degrees). to simplify: Where there is no real color, there can be no replacment. Not with this plug-in, anyways. For what you want to do effects like Tint, Tritone or Colorama would be much more appropriate or you properly extract the regions and colorize them as separate layers. Luma Key combined with Levels effect or simply using Shift Channel based on Luminance, again combined with Levels to determine the threshold, work well on greyscale images. For your red areas, a Shift Channels based on the red channel would do the same.

Mylenium

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Why does "Change to Color" not work consistantly?
            Allen W. Level 1

Mylenium,

Thank you for your response. That was quick. However, nowhere in my question did I say I was using a greyscale image. On the contrary, I used two different images, both of which were color and on neither of which did AE work as advertised. That being said, your work-arounds may prove useful. They just seem like a lot of extra steps for a simple effect when a straightforward one is available if it would work.

--Allen

• 3. Re: Why does "Change to Color" not work consistantly?

Then it seems I misunderstood your post and I apologize. You should be aware, though, that, since the effect is realyl based on a HSL color model, it may still have ill side effects. Therefore I would give the otehr effects a try. If you can post a snapshot of your work (use the camera icon to attach), we may be able to offer more concrete advise on the matter.

Mylenium

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Why does "Change to Color" not work consistantly?
                Allen W. Level 1

Sorry for the delay.

Thanks for the insights. As you mentioned, that particular tool is quite finicky. Nonetheless, I managed to make it comply. I also managed to find another graphic that served better. The new image used better colors and was a png. (Don't know if being a .png made any difference.) I was able to adjust the HSL parameters as well as the matte to get the needed effect successfully.

I used keyframed mattes & a duplicate layer to reveal the color changes over time. However, I noted that all the Change to Color parameters are keyframeable. How does one go about using keyframes to animate those parameters. I couldn't seem to make anything worthwhile happen.

Thanks,

--Allen

• 5. Re: Why does "Change to Color" not work consistantly?

If you want an honest opinion: I wouldn't keyframe anything in that effect otehr then the output Hue/Lightness/Saturation at best. when you start keyframing the color, you constantly remap one HSL range to another and that is almost impossible to control. If ever, I'd rig it with expressions to provide specific readouts of the actual colors used to get on target. In your case, though, it should not be a problem. Once you have defined your initial colors, you should be perfectly able to use the normal Hue/Saturation effect to do any color shifts, or, if you need a more selective approoch, use Color Finesse's controls to do the same.

Mylenium

• 6. Re: Why does "Change to Color" not work consistantly?
                    Allen W. Level 1

I can imagine that it would be VERY squirrelly to work with. As I said, I couldn't get it to work; in fact, it wouldn't do anything at all when I tried to set keyframes within the Change to Color parameters. Ultimately, I'm much happier with the solution I settled on as there ended up being multiple color regions that I wanted to change over separate times. (It is a map of Montana Indian reservations that change from the background to a highlight color as the narrator mentions each one.)

Thanks for all your help.

--Allen