2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 27, 2012 9:44 PM by pwillener

File name for downloaded PDF

ray482

I have an application that provides files for download using obscured urls. I use the Content-Disposition header in the http response to set the proposed file name. This works fine if the user opts to save the file directly from the link without opening it (for example, in Internet Explorer, the user right-clicks the link and selects 'Save Target As...'). However, if the PDF is opened, and then the user selects 'File-Save As' from the menu (or clicks the Save icon), the proposed file name is not used. This does work in other applications, just not in Adobe Reader.

So, the questions are:

1 - is there a way to make this work as required - OR -

2 - is this something that will be fixed in a future version

• 1. Re: File name for downloaded PDF
          JJLPS

Its been almost 3 years, has there been any update on this issue? We are experiencing the same issue. Our numerous customers are thinking about just using a different pdf reader that supports this standard. All workarounds we have encountered are hacks around the URL and are unacceptable for our customers.

Please respond, we would hate for Adobe to lose all of the users that our customers have.

• 2. Re: File name for downloaded PDF
            pwillener Level 8

I am not sure if this is really Adobe Reader's fault, or if any other PDF viewer will act differently.

I actually experience exactly the same after opening an online generated XLS file with Excel.